Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Aluminum Rubrail

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
74mustang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74mustang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Aluminum Rubrail
    Posted: July-26-2005 at 6:21pm
Im instrested to know if anyone knows where i can find an aluminum rubrail for a 1974 mustang 17. My current one has gone through hell. If i cant find one, does anyone know what i can do to get the knicks, dings, and pitting out of it? Im trying to keep it original so im trying to steer from a rope one.

Thanks!
nautique frk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2005 at 8:02pm
WEST MARINE has the rub rail .
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2005 at 3:06am
Hey 74,
I have the same problem with the rail on my 64 American skier. I decided to try to wet sand and buff it. It takes a lot of "elbow grease",but is working great!
It had some pretty nasty gouges and scrapes , not to mention the overall oxidation.
I started wet sanding with 320 grit, concentrating on the worst areas first. I sanded the entire rail with the 320,to keep a consistant finish.
I then used 400,followed by 600 to buff the scratches left by the 320. Make sure you use "wet or dry" paper. Also put a little dishsoap in your water bucket to help lube the paper.
After that I used a liquid rubbing compound with a power buffer. This brought out a pretty nice shine.
I ended with a metal polish call "Nevr-dull" applied by hand. This will clean the residue from buffing.
You might want to start with the rail on the transom first to get a feel for it.
My rail still has some small nicks and scratches, but looks 100% better than it did. Besides, its a user boat not a showboat!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2005 at 4:30am
62 wood...how long did it take? I need it done too and was told they sand out pretty well!

My wife says I can't have any more...I tell her I can build another garage!
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2005 at 3:55am
I started sanding/buffing mine last Sunday. I worked about 2 hours and got about six feet done. I was doing them on the boat tho.( quit early..had to hit the river :)

Im to a seam on the side now, so I think Im going to take the side pcs off the boat and work on them on the bench. It'll also save a lot of time cleaning aluminum residue from the fiberglass.

I probably got most of the scratches out this way,and most of the remaining deeper ones dont seem as noticeable.

Now, I need to start experimenting on solid stainless steel rails on my wooden boat...one good thing about stainless is -there arent too many deep gouges.

Let me know how it works for you!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic