Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Have to Replace Motor - Need Help

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
mbreier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbreier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Have to Replace Motor - Need Help
    Posted: April-27-2011 at 7:46pm
I have a 1999 Super Sport and unfortunately I have to replace my engine, it has a cracked block.    It has the GT-40 5.8L 351 in it now. I have been quoted a price of $5500 for a long block from Jasper and labor. This sounds way high to me. I was expecting $3000 - $4000. Do I have the wrong expectation? Anyone have a good source for a remanufactured long block?

Thanks,
mbreier
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2011 at 11:11pm
Jody @ FL inboards has used motors that he sells sometimes.   I bet you could call/email him for a prognosis on a used motor, or a good idea of replacement cost.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2011 at 10:32am
thats a v-drive boat? with a Walters? water does also run thru it and have been known to crack also? you should have a lefty (normal rotation) which should be in the 1500.00 to 1800.00 range for a longy. stay away from the 900.00 to 1200.00 dollar LB's, you get what you pay for
"the things you own will start to own you"
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2011 at 11:20am
850 215 1996. I do have a couple of options.
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
mbreier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbreier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2011 at 12:00pm
Yes, it is a V-drive. Not sure about the Walters, need to check. I am worried about the V-drive as well, but I figure one thing at a time. Get the engine working then fix the V if needed. I guess the only question would be, do I need to pull the engine to replace the V? If so, may want to do it all at once.

I agree, you get what you pay for, I just don't think $5000 is what I want to pay.

Thanks for the info
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2011 at 9:34am
did you call Jodi? btw, the reason i dont like Jasper is because of their pay roll and Nascar affiliation....dont like paying for the ornaments
"the things you own will start to own you"
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2011 at 1:18pm
Call Jody....

Originally posted by Fl Inboards Fl Inboards wrote:

850 215 1996. I do have a couple of options.
mbreier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbreier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2011 at 7:19pm
I kind of thought Jasper sounded overpriced, but didn't have much for point of reference. Just left a message with Jody - will keep you all posted with next steps. Thanks for the advice!
clibat2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clibat2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2011 at 9:15pm
Search for an old post under my name... It has a ton of info on prices and a bunch of phone numbers. Why a long block? If you have GT 40 heads go with a short block unless you think they got damaged too.
Candlewood Lake, Western Connecticut
clibat2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clibat2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2011 at 9:20pm
Here is is, I found it...
sandjengines.com - $1,846 motor + $400 core + $175 shipping = $2,421
The core would cost me $175 to return and since it is damaged, there may be a penalty.

skidim.com - I work with skidim on everything, but all they sell is crate motors.

jasperengines.com - $2,946 motor + $365 core + $176 tax = $3,487.76 - By far the most expensive.

psengines.com - $2,019 total – no core – no shipping – do not need to return old core

Searchpartsengines.com - $1,838 total – no core – no shipping – $1,920.71 credit card price – Cash is $1,838.

usaboatmotor.com - $2,195 total – no core – no shipping – no taxes

Firstmatemarine.net recommended me to Atlandtic Engine Exchange. They want $1,995 for motor, no core, no taxes

Some places include the timing cover with the motor, some don't. All include the gaskets. The warantees are all different but for the most part are between 1 and 2 years.
clibat2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clibat2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2011 at 9:24pm
Look st this string...
http://correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=16942&KW=&title=rebuilding-351w
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2011 at 9:45pm
Originally posted by clibat2 clibat2 wrote:

Look st this string...
http://correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=16942&KW=&title=rebuilding-351w

Link for Cliff

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
clibat2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clibat2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2011 at 9:52pm
I ended up with Rapido Marine out of Miami... Runs great after all was said and done at a good price. They were a bit slow though. Still want to know why a long block though.. Those are $1,800 heads. grind 'em down and run with them.
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2011 at 12:25pm
gt40 heads are not worth 1800 dollars.   You can get better new heads for much less than that.
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg
mbreier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbreier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2011 at 6:32pm
So here is the update - talked with Jody and he helped me think through what to do (all have to say is Awesome guy). He agreed with some of the other comments. Take the block to a performance machine shop and rebuild it. Was able to pull it last weekend. The machine shop is testing it now. Turns out the block may not be the problem. After magnafluxing it they can't find any cracks. Looking at heads and manifolds now to see if we can find the source of the water in the oil.

Will keep you posted on next steps.

Thanks for all the advice.
mbreier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbreier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2011 at 2:38pm
I post a final update. We got back on the water this last weekend. Turns out there was a small crack at the bottom of one of the cylinders. The machine shop found a small block, machined it, ported the heads and other items from my block to the new one. Then my Dad and I got the long block back, put all of the components and accessories back on and slipped her back in the boat. After a little issue with the coil we fired her up. Spent all morning on the lake this last weekend breaking her in and enjoying the sound of a well functioning engine.

Thanks for the advice.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic