NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

$4 gas... question?

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 5>
Author
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: $4 gas... question?
    Posted: April-11-2011 at 7:50pm
As gas is rapidly approaching the $4/gallon mark, I have a question...

....the last time gas was $4/gallon (2008?), from what I remember, oil was in the $140 to $150/barrel price.

Today it is in the $110/barrel range.... whats up with that?
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2011 at 8:08pm
Steve, It's funny you should mention this as it seemed to be the topic of discussion today around the shop. I'd bet my last gallon of gas that the oil companies will post RECORD Breaking Profits AGAIN!

On a positive note for the day Oil was down $3 a barrel which I'm sure we will all see an immediate decrease in the price of gas. It goes up $.15 in an 8 hour period when the price is up. I'm sure the opposite is true right?
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2011 at 8:17pm
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

Steve, It's funny you should mention this as it seemed to be the topic of discussion today around the shop......

...... It goes up $.15 in an 8 hour period when the price is up. I'm sure the opposite is true right?

You got that right Tim! I dont seem to hear people screaming as loudly this time? Are we just getting used to it?
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2011 at 9:20pm
Originally posted by 62 wood 62 wood wrote:

I dont seem to hear people screaming as loudly this time?

You know the answer to that Steve.The ones who bring it up are keeping quite because they are the ones in favor of the current management.

On a completly different subject,I'm thinking of putting a 4 or a 6 in my boat
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2011 at 9:43pm
They got the gas & we want to burn it. I'd say they got us over a $110 barrel.

I'd ride a bike, in the rain, for a month, just to save enough gas money to go skiing for an hour - it's that much fun to me.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2011 at 9:59pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Originally posted by 62 wood 62 wood wrote:

I dont seem to hear people screaming as loudly this time?

You know the answer to that Steve.The ones who bring it up are keeping quite because they are the ones in favor of the current management.

On a completly different subject,I'm thinking of putting a 4 or a 6 in my boat

I was wondering how the big "D" and"R" battle enters in..
......must make a difference on who's in "charge"?   

and I do like my 6 banger in times like this! I'm like Chris, might not be able to get out as often, but will still get out!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
sethro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sethro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2011 at 11:05pm
The most painful part to me is realizing that the last 10 miles I just drove in my truck cost me $4.00 or $3.75 or whatever the price per gallon might be...in gas alone.

As to your orignial question...I've decided it's something I will never fully understand.   
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2011 at 11:22pm
This is why my wife and I both drive diesels and I make my own Bio-diesel. It costs me a little less than a buck a gallon to make and the money we save goes in the boats.
If I lived in the south I would do the veggie conversion, thats even cheaper than making the bio.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2011 at 11:34pm
I guess I am too die hard to give it much thought. I will put hours on my boats, period. At 4 bucks a gallon not as many tankfuls, just longer slower cruises. Boat dr
hasbeenskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2011 at 12:16am
Try running a fleet of HD2500 service trucks avg. 150. milea a day.
bj
hasbeenskier
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2011 at 12:54am
Originally posted by hasbeenskier hasbeenskier wrote:

Try running a fleet of HD2500 service trucks avg. 150. milea a day.
bj

If your fuel is taxed like it is in Pa all I can say is OUCH!!!
$4.25+ in Pa mostly road tax.
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2011 at 1:25am
Since my boat runs great now, and I have a great job, I will burn gas in the boat even at 5 dollars a gallon. As it sounds, the $5 mark will be in full effect by the heat of boating season. My weekends and time off are worth far more than anything else. I have noticed that taking slow cruises will really extend a tank of gas.

And yes, record profits for big oil are here already. Why at 110 a barrel are they at around 4 dollars a gallon when the last time gas prices were this high a barrel was a good 30-40 dollars higher? That's a great question. Big oil knows why, and it should not have anything to do with the dems in power as they are opposed to big oil getting richer.

I'm taking the bike tomorrow and Thursday to work. At the current rate of gas prices I save like 7 bucks a day by riding the motorcycle than taking my car.
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg
sweet77 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweet77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2011 at 1:29am
$104.00 in my 3500 Chevrolet service truck today im getting 11.4 miles to the gallon. I drive roughly 125 mi a day yeah it sucks. ive just decided i took up the wrong business. Should have just been born rich
76 Nautique

"If you do what you always did,You'll get what you always got!"

"An empty wagon makes t
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2011 at 1:45am
Drill Baby....Drill!!!!

We need to use our own resources instead of relying on OPEC!

I remember in '08 gas in downtown Chicago was $4.60/gal. Here in the suburbs, it was ~$1.00/gal less. Now, most stations around here are at $4.09 even in the milktoast burbs. But, whats the alternative? A Chevy Volt??
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2011 at 1:54am
GaryS-- I've got another Buick V-6 hanging on the Engine Stand right now! You want to build it up nice? As for the driving the Company truck--The 99 Toyota Tacoma gets 22 mpg ,in the city- I get 330 miles a tankful, and I drive no less than 200 miles a day!! Fill up every other day!
And the guy next door at Sunshine Racing- he has his VW Jetta set up for Veggie Oil. In the mornings, when we have the doors open, you can smell him pulling in. We might smell Hush Puppies one day and Fish the next!

66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2011 at 3:32am
In 1976 gas cost .60 per gallon today it is about $4.00 an increase of 666%. In 1976 bread cost .30, today average is 2.28, an increase of 933% yet I never hear complaints about big bread profits. I have heard oil company profits have been remakably consisten at a return of 7% on the dollar invested for years. That is a return of 1.07 for every dollar spent. In 2008 when then candidate hillory clinton was complaining about record profits for oil companys racking in that big 7 cents on the dollar, verison wireless made 100% profit, 2 dollars returned for every one spent, but the media and politicians make the oil companies out as the greedy bad guys, and our ignorant electorate buys the whole scam. Demand for gas rises nearly every year, giving oil companys record sales nearly every year. Taking the same 7 cents on the dollar for each gallon of gas gives them record profits nearly every year. It is all about volume. At 4$ per gallon oil companys make about a 28 cent per gallon profit, meanwhile in Minnesota gas taxes are 45.6 cents per gallon. The oil companies buy or drill for the oil, transport it or build pipe lines, refine it, store it, transport it to the gas stations and sell it for .28 cents per gallon profit. What is the government doing for its 45.6 cent share? Building light rail? Have you ever tried to hook up your correct craft to a light rail train? As far as the differnce between 2008 and now, oil is sold in us dollars and that has not changed (yet),but it is not just the purchase of raw crude, everything the oil company has to do (listed above) has to be paid in US dollars. With our country monitising its debt, our currencies value is dropping on the world market, and we are seeing real inflation in transportation cost here in the U.S.. also in Minnesota gas taxes have gone up 5.1 cents per gallon since 2008. It all adds up, and goes way beyond oil company profits.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2011 at 8:26am
Current fuel prices in Belgium...

Diesel:   1,463 euro/liter    equals    8,039 $/gal
Gas:      1,679 euro/liter    equals    9,226 $/gal
LPG:      0,692 euro/liter    equals    3,803 $/gal

And they're gonna keep going up in the following weeks...

Just to put things back into perspective for you guys...

- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2011 at 9:49am
Originally posted by Kristof Kristof wrote:

Current fuel prices in Belgium...

Diesel:   1,463 euro/liter    equals    8,039 $/gal
Gas:      1,679 euro/liter    equals    9,226 $/gal
LPG:      0,692 euro/liter    equals    3,803 $/gal

And they're gonna keep going up in the following weeks...

Just to put things back into perspective for you guys...

\]

Is your diesel the low sulphur kind because youres is considerably less than gas and ours is the opposite?

What can you expect, they have us paying a buck for a pint of water.

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2011 at 9:52am
are we surprised?
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2011 at 10:21am
here is my logic, because i drive a diesel, people alawys question me why i drive a diesel, and i will from here on out, they always say diesel is more expensive than gas so why would i want one. here is my reply, you are roughly getting 20 mpg on gas, i get on average 45 mpg, so to go 45 miles it costs me 4.00 bucks for you to go 45 miles it costs you about 8.50....is this very hard to understand?....now if your getting 12 mpg, figure that out lol
the only way i ever get a raise is to cut down on costs, so driving the diesel was my raise for the year
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2011 at 10:23am
needless to say, that wasnt a bad raise
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2011 at 11:20am
When I got sent on my little vacation by Uncle Sam overseas in '04 diesel was cheaper than gas. I sold my F150 before I left, before I returned I ordered a new '06 diesel to be waiting my return. Diesel was now more than gas.
Ultra-low process had some to do with it but it's also the road tax we're paying, I get to pay the same road tax as a semi truck.
The upside is the mileage increase like Eric stated. With my 150 pulling my trailer I got 8mpg with my diesel pulling the same trailer on the same trip I get 16mpg.
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2011 at 12:10pm
I have a few friends with newer diesel pick-ups and they dont get double the mpg that I get in my F150. Granted, they can tow a house, and have a heavier truck. It seems the diesel motor is about 10K more than the gas version. If diesel is .30 more than gas that means you have to use over 33,000 gallons of diesel to pay the extra cost of the motor. Bottom line, if you need a diesel, buy one. But, the gvt has the game rigged to make you pay about the same cost per mile as the gas. No free lunch with the diesel.

Isnt it funny how diesel prices changed about the same time the more efficient diesels started hitting the market?
PAPA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PAPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2011 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by OverMyHead OverMyHead wrote:

In 1976 bread cost .30, today average is 2.28, an increase of 933% yet I never hear complaints about big bread profits.
Dave, you can buy bread at the local grocery store in their generic brand for about .99 our you can go to the Hostess outlet store and get it about the same price. I keep looking for the gas station selling day old gas for $1.79 or less. [;)] [;)] [;)]
PAPA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PAPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2011 at 1:07pm
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2011 at 2:17pm
Chalk that up to government regulation.there is a anti gas war law that sets the bottom price for gas (a certain margin above cost. This is designed to protect the little guy from a prolonged price war from a big player, but also eliminates fire sales on gas.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

skicat2001 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2011 at 5:20pm
We got to pay for Obama fancy trips...

What gas price range up there in the north and east???

Average down here is 3.59 and 3.79 depending where you go?? I hate Shell gas... Seem to be always higher than others This off course is 87 octance prices...
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2011 at 5:21pm
Originally posted by davidg davidg wrote:

Drill Baby....Drill!!!!

[/IMG]

10 4 David
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2011 at 5:28pm
Originally posted by davidg davidg wrote:

Drill Baby....Drill!!!!

[/IMG]

10 4 david

What are the prices up north and east??? Down here in tx ranges from 3.59 and 3.79.. Depending where you go?? Shell try to stick to peps down here. They always higher than evryone else. Those prices off course was regular octane
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2011 at 5:35pm
On my way to the Hurricane flipping, I paid $4.04 the other day. I need to fuel up tomorrow and I'll see what it's gone up to. Damn, with the card $$$ limits at the pay at the pump, now it will defiantly be a two credit card fill up!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 5>
  Share Topic