NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Oil Leak in 318

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oil Leak in 318
    Posted: July-22-2005 at 12:47pm
We're really enjoying our '68, or maybe it's a 69 SN, having just purchased her this spring. The 1968 Chrysler 318 looks to have been rebuilt at some point in the past. My problem: it's leaking oil, when we first got it, not so much, but we have only run her at the most about 90 minutes at a time. Last time out (about four hours of good times) it looks like the dip stick is down about half a quart and the bilge messy. I cannot see any leaks on the top half of the engine, or the oil pan gasket, but when I get my hand under the oil pan it's pretty slimey.
Being a novice mechanic at best I have greatly appreciated the help in reading these posts, my learning curve with a wrench is "ratching up." OK, any ideas about this oil leak?
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
barr 68 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barr 68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2005 at 9:12am
Check the valve cover gaskets . The oil is most likely dribbling down the side of the engine . Also , even though the engine was rebuilt ,its not unusual for an engine of this vintage to use some oil. Best of luck, Jim/Barr68
barr68
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic