Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Refinishin wood swim platform

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
jcow0714 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcow0714 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Refinishin wood swim platform
    Posted: March-09-2011 at 10:12pm
This is a stupid easy question I just can't find the materials I need. The finish on my swim platform is chipping off and I'm looking to re-stain and re coat it. What material do you use to do this?? Its on an 82 2001
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2011 at 10:25pm
Stain?

strip the stain and use teak oil.
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2011 at 10:32pm
You dont want any finish on the platform. You need to remove any finish that is on there and apply several coats of teak oil as stated above. There are many threads on this topic. Use the search feature.

"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2011 at 10:58pm
John,
Follow the strip, clean and oil advice above. There are plenty of teak kits available at marine supplies. Also plenty of threads here on the process. Cleaning the teak is key then oil.

The PO of you boat did not do you any favors. You never want any "hard" finish on Teak.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jcow0714 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcow0714 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2011 at 2:21pm
ya the previous owner sealed it in a thin layer of something. which i guess is not right. i will use the teak oil and re-do his work. thanks for the help everyone.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2011 at 4:44pm
use some wire brush to remove the finish and then lots of teak oil...
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2011 at 5:30pm
I baught this off craigs list for $10. turned out it was purchased for a CC that was sold. I hope it is still good.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

scottsims1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottsims1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2011 at 12:21pm
I used the same Watco and mine looks perfectly new. Also, not sure if someone else posted but I used my pressure sprayer and it required absolutely no scrubbing/stripping to get it down to the natural wood. Just make sure you spray it off a few times and get it real wet before you begin. Definately take the extra 5-10 minutes to take it off the back first. So much easier and cleaner than doing it while its on the back of your boat!
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2011 at 2:16pm
Do you guys mess with the underside too or just leave it as is and worry about the top only? The underside of mine looks nasty and I want to do the whole thing all at once.
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2011 at 3:20pm
Bret,
To do a real good job, I suggest getting the wood off the boat. Unscrew it from the brackets then attack both sides.

Some will advise against it but I'm in favor of using a pressure washer with the cleaning/brightening process. It really gets down into the pores of the wood as well as between the slats. If you do use one, be very careful with the high pressure getting too close to the wood and tearing into the grain. Experiment on the back side.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2011 at 3:34pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Bret,
To do a real good job, I suggest getting the wood off the boat. Unscrew it from the brackets then attack both sides.

Some will advise against it but I'm in favor of using a pressure washer with the cleaning/brightening process. It really gets down into the pores of the wood as well as between the slats. If you do use one, be very careful with the high pressure getting too close to the wood and tearing into the grain. Experiment on the back side.

I am one of the ones Pete warned you about above ....

but..... If you do have the varnish, sealant or whatever the PO put on the platform, still adhered to many large areas of the platform, I am very OK with the use of the pressure washer. Some of those products are VERY hard to get off with other methods........ just be very careful and love your teak!
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2011 at 4:26pm
Although my platform is not teak, I do prefer the hard finish.
Reason being, with outdoor storage and the constant battle with oiling.

Just one good coat of polyurethane lasts all season.
More than one coat makes it too slick, thus slipping and cracking an ankle.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2011 at 5:10pm
Buy a new one, the lazy way! This is the platform that was posted 2 weeks ago on here.

bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2011 at 9:55pm

Bret,

Thanks Pete, I have the quick disconnect pins so removing will not be an issue. I also own a 2600psi pressure washer so I will go that route using one of the delicate tips to start and see how that goes. I've got a couple places where the wood is coming apart. The dowel rod in the center rear edge is gone and will need fixing. Also, was moored on the St. John's over Labor Day this past summer and one of the behemoth cruisers came by and ended up busting a couple screws out of the rear starboard side slats with his monster wake. I'd like to repair the original rather then get an aftermarket. It can be saved.   
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
Jones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2011 at 5:24pm
John,

When I bought my '97 last year the guy had varnished the swim platform, gloss no less. He also top screwed to refasten it.

It took me several days to strip, sand, plug and refinish it.
Before

After

After it is stripped and prepped, all you will need is teak oil. I also use a 120 grit wet/dry sandpaper which supposedly helps the oil penetrate.
1979 Ski Nautique (sold)

1997 Ski Nautique

1998 Super Sport Nautique
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2011 at 6:16pm
Brad, looks beautiful! Nice work.
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2011 at 8:05pm
Its funny how so many people do the same wrong thing. Seems perfectly logical to slap some polyurethane finish on there to protect it and make it look nice. Kind of like how lots of people assume that you should use treated lumber to make stringers.
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2011 at 8:46pm
Originally posted by Keeganino Keeganino wrote:

Its funny how so many people do the same wrong thing. Seems perfectly logical to slap some polyurethane finish on there to protect it and make it look nice. Kind of like how lots of people assume that you should use treated lumber to make stringers.

Keegan,
It's good you didn't include everyone in the above group. To many like woodworkers and wooden boat owners, the above is not logical!

Also, people that do not know, should not be going into one of the home improvement places and be asking one of the sales “associates” advice!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2011 at 10:46pm

Keegan,
It's good you didn't include everyone in the above group. To many like woodworkers and wooden boat owners, the above is not logical!

Also, people that do not know, should not be going into one of the home improvement places and be asking one of the sales “associates” advice!

Certainly not everyone but the average guy knows enough to think they know what they are doing. How many times have you been asked about treated lumber and seen a teak platform varnished? I have seen both questions several times so there is some misguided logic there driving people to those conclusions.

And the guys at bLowes... If you are relying on them to show you what to do you are truly misguided

1973 Skier
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2011 at 11:15pm

66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2011 at 4:00pm

Chris4x4gill2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris4x4gill2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2011 at 4:45pm
wow, Doc that is much darker in color than what I'm use to seeing. Looks good.

I've been re-oiling mine for the last several weeks.Since i have it off of the boat right now, Ive been concetrating on the bottom side of the deck since it doesnt get much attention at other times. So far I have about 10 coats of oil on the bottom. Time to start the top now.
jeffro28 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeffro28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2011 at 7:07pm

just finished mine today i think it looks good, i put on 3 coats
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2011 at 7:32pm
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2011 at 8:02pm
I put three coats of watco on mine 2 years ago, did not last that long, I have added a few more since but I am going to clean up and try for 6+ this spring.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2011 at 1:46am
So RJ, our resident Babe's rep, put me onto the Starbrite Teak Oil sealer after I noticed how good his platform looked. We were talking this weekend and his is going on year 5 and looks great, so I decided to go that route. Here are the pictures of the process.

The Start

Mine was varnished to start with so I dry sanded with 60, then 120 and finally 220:

Then washed with Murphy's Oil Soap:
Then let dry over night, applied Starbrite oil sealer, let dry for 2 or 3 days and then wet sanded with 220:

then a wash with Murphy's plus an overnight dry and then a second coat of Starbrite oil sealer:

Another 2 or 3 days of drying and then wet sanded with 400 and a wash with Murphy's, dry over night and then a final coat of oil sealer:

Here is a picture with out the flash:

And a picture of the Starbrite Oil Sealer:

RJ did 220 after his first coat, 400 after his second coat and 1000 after his third coat finishing with 4 coats. His platform is very slippery so, I stopped at 400 with 3 coats. We'll see how it holds up. The directions RJ sent me said to go all the way to 2000 sandpaper, for a furniture like finish. So if your going for looks and not functionality (read too slippery to stand on), then I guess you could take it that far... But for me with the kids, we'll see how this holds up.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2011 at 3:07am
Looks really nice Steve
1987 Ski Nautique

C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2011 at 12:36pm
OMH, 3 coats probably wasn't enough. I wouldn't just shoot for a specific # of coats. Keep putting it on until it just won't take any more. I think I did about 7 coats, the last few I let dry for a week before adding more. It lasted pretty much all summer.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2011 at 5:47pm
Steve,
I'll be interested to see how the sealer holds up. I used the very same stuff last year and pretty much followed your steps. My results were not satisfactory, though i've heard of people who reported great results and liked the product.

I ended up using the Starbrite Cleaner (gel formula), and then brushing and sanding the stuff off. Took forever to get it off. My platform is finally starting to look good again with just cleaner, brightener and oil.

Again, Hope it works out better for you than it did for me. The pictures look nice
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2011 at 6:05pm
Hey Steve, thats interesting. Like I said, RJ has had it on his platform and it looks good 4 years later (this will be year 5).

What did you not like about (what signs should I look for). You know the one thing it said you should do on the can, is cure it in the sun, which there is very little of that around here this time of year. So maybe I will wet sand and do one more coat on the next sunny day.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic