Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Best older Nautique for Wakeboarding

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Steve View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best older Nautique for Wakeboarding
    Posted: July-24-2005 at 4:10pm
Wow! What a surprise after coming back a week later to a question I thought would receive little interest. Thank you all! After going through the responses, it looks like sometine before next season I'll be shopping for a 87-89 Barefoot/Dominique (ideal) or Ski Nautique. I took special note of the responses from IrishFotter and Workky regarding the wake characteristics of the 17'9" and the added room of the 18'9" 2001 (or 19' in the case of the Barefoot/Dominique). To 1988SN, I'm not shopping just yet. I will need to sell the Tahiti to some lucky guy who can take advantage of all the custom work I've done on her to put the boat in A-1 shape. Also, there's only so much room in my garage. Anyone know of a website for Tahiti owners that's as nice as this one?

Thanks again everyone!
Mr SPOK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr SPOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2005 at 7:07am
Hi Steve
I'm agree with Cornem, the 87-89 Barefoot Nautique 2001 will give you the best wake. The hull is different from a SN and the wake is awesome.

Mr SPOK
Mr SPOK from France Planet
Aussie Ken View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2005 at 5:07am
Hi mate - like everyone else has said, if you don't mind waiting and want the better wakeboard boat then go the 2001. However, you will still get a very good wakeboard wake from an 18' SN.

Here is a link to pics of my wake, 1980 SN with 350Kg in the back & 100Kg up front & 4 people.
Rider is 5'10" @ 70'.
Water is 30' deep fresh.

http://www.wake.com.au/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=2819

Hope it helps,
Ken
cornem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cornem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2005 at 4:55pm
I've got a '89 Barefoot Nautique and the wake on it is awesome. I just bought a '99 Pro Air and I like the '89's wake better.

BTW the Barefoot is for sale.

mc
IrishFooter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrishFooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2005 at 2:22am
Something else to consider- I my 79 Nautique has no storage whatsoever- its fine for me and my girlfoirend but gets uncomfortable fast if another couple comes out with us. I would pay the money to get a newer bigger boat that you can grow into. Good luck- just thought you might want to consider somehting other than wake.
1979 Ski Nautique
workky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote workky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2005 at 2:13am
I have owned a 1982 ski tique 17'9,and i currently own a 84 2001.The 17'9 has a steep and narrow wake,only needs 1 fat sack to get a decent wake out of it.I run 3 fat sacks in the 2001 and it has a very nice wake ,wider than the 17'9 but not as steep.I like the 2001 a little better because it does have a little more room ,better wake.I felt a little cramped in the 17'9.My money would go for a 2001
1988SN View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1988SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2005 at 12:52am
Steve,

I have a 1988 SN 2001 that I am thinking about selling. Here is a list of what has been done to it...

1. New floor in the front section of the boat
2. New Carpet though out
3. Some new upholstry
4. Entire boat buffed out to showroom condition.
5. 4 blade prop.
6. Alpine cd player with Sirrus Sat. radio mount.
7. All teak wood restored and oiled.

The boat only has 520 hours on it and is one of the nicest boat of that age. No excuses on this boat. Local Nautique has been through out the entire boat and told me it was one of the best kept boats he has ever seen. If you are interested please email me at mike@golightly.us I am not sure what I am going to do with it but I am willing to talk. Boat can been seen in the diaries seciton, it is the teal and white 88 that is in my garage.

Mike
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2005 at 12:49am
No question in my mind, 81-89 is a better
fit for the use you have described, if given
the choice.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

HOLESHOT View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HOLESHOT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2005 at 10:49pm
go with any 2001 and you will love it
IF IT HAS A SPARKPLUG I CAN FIX IT
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2005 at 7:31pm
My '77 Martinique is for sale.
ultrahots View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrahots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2005 at 6:41pm
I have a 79 that throws a very nice wake right out of the box.Here is a couple of shots of tubing that will give you the idea.

Bhedbloom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bhedbloom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2005 at 5:55pm
Steve,

If you want a great older Correct Craft wakeboard boat copy the following link into your browser and get ready to smile. This Boat will cut the rough water like a hot knife through butter and leave you smiling as you take off from the wake. Plus it has a cool factor that no newer boat can match. I do not care for the newer graphics they put on this boat, but it is one heck of a wakeboard boat!
1969 Southwind!
http://www.boattraderonline.com/caddetail.html?/ad-cache/6/5/6/79904656.htm
Barry, South Carolina
882001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 882001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2005 at 5:31am
the 2001 has an great wake comparable to a san. the 17 wake is too steep,
80nauts View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 80nauts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2005 at 3:28am
If you are willing to pay the price for a restored one then just buy a new moomba for under $30,000.
79nautique View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2005 at 8:55pm
neither boat is going to be good on rough water and both wakes will be very close. the newer models are a little wider and have more storage.
Steve View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2005 at 8:27pm
I'm a fan of older, smaller boats, as I prefer to keep it garaged and easily at hand to take out. I'm seriously considering either a 1976-80 17'9" Ski Nautique or a 1981-89 18'9" 2001 model Ski Nautique. I'm primarily going to use the boat for wakeboarding, so I'm interested in what the differences are in both the volume and height of the wake between the two boats as well as the overall performance characteristics between the two, such as rough water ride, top speed, manuverability, etc. I'm leaning towards the 17'9" simply for ease of towing and storage, but since I plan on waiting to pick up the perfect boat that is pretty much fully restored already (e.g. I'm willing to pay the price and not looking to do the restoration myself - been there done that already) and also plan to keep it for a long time, I want to make the right choice up front. For reference and perspective sake, I currently own a perfect 1972 16" Tahiti with a 2yr old 115 Merc Optimax and Monster tower that I've had for 10 years. Great ski boat, pretty lousy wakeboard boat, and gets tossed around like crazy when it's rough out.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic