Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fuel Consumption Data

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
76tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 76tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fuel Consumption Data
    Posted: February-09-2011 at 7:26pm
With all of the news lately sounding like potential $4 a gallon gas this summer, I thought it might be interesting to do a thread on fuel consumption for the various CC's out there. One of the things I like best about my Tique is how economical it is. I have the stock 302 and 12 x 14 Federal. We mostly use the boat for wakeboarding - at 24 - 26mph, with no fatsacs, driver and observer on board, I was averaging about 2 gal/hr over an 8 hr day on the water. With 700 pounds of ballast this went up to about 2.5 gal/hr. On the days where I did more skiing, we also seemed to burn about 2.5 gal/hr (running 30-32mph). Maybe slightly more. I never burned more than 20 gallons in an 8hr day out.

Looking at the 1985 performance data for a 2001 from the brochure, they show 7.2gal/hr at 30mph:

I'm curious - does the 2001 really burn this much? How about the 351 vs. 454? Other newer CC's? Is there a difference with the newer FI motors? Post up your data if you have some!
He who dies with the most toys, wins

1984 SN2001 - sold
1976 Ski Tique - Sold
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2011 at 7:31pm
6-7 gph seems normal for a ski boat running at skiing speeds. Your comparison of gallons used in an 8 hr ski day is a little flawed... what percentage of your time was spent at idle (or engine off)? Surely you didnt maintain 30+ mph for 8 hrs straight.
wakeboardin2k4 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2011 at 7:42pm
I remember at the LG reunion 2 years ago about a dozen boats ran up to Log Bay from the ramp at basically WOT. I remember having a conversation with Ken (Nautique2001) about how comparable our fuel gauges looked after the 5 mile WOT run. We both had full tanks, because I remember watching Ken pull out of the gas station up there right before I pulled in.

Kens boat is outfitted with a 351 and mine with the 454. They both share the same carb but obviously have different displacement, but I do not think I burn more fuel at typical wakeboarding and waterskiing speeds because my boat runs less rpms than a SBF would.

The GPH that I burn depends on what I am doing. I would say I burn about 7-8 gph while wakeboarding, fully sacked out wiht 1500lbs. I would guess I have burnt almost 20 gph on a camping trip at LG coming back up lake towards Ticonderoga after hanging out in a cove. There was a storm moving in and I wasn't waiting to see how it turned out. Basically 50 mph all the way home. I think we were approximately 20 miles from our camp ground. I remember being almost empty after the ride back and being about 3/4 when we arrived there because we were casually crusing
"I'm planning to bring my girl that rides on a trailer with me and leave my girl that complains about camping at home"
76tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 76tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2011 at 8:00pm
Thanks guys! Very interesting Eric, I was hoping you would comment. Actually seems like great economy for the ballast you are carrying!

Tim, you are right - not very scientific data on my part. We usually arrive at the lake 8am, ride until 12pm only stopping to change riders (maybe 5mins w/engine off), take an hour lunch break to cruise down the lake for burgers (usually a 5min run at 35mph, 10min cruise to the nice cove, then off for 40min to eat. Then another 3 hrs of riding with 5min breaks. I think we usually get about 6 15-20min riding sessions each between 3 of us. So I would say roughly 5 ish hours of run time @20 gal = 4gph. Probably a better estimate on my part. Boat running at 2300rpm.

Sorry for the thinking out loud.

1984 SN2001 - sold
1976 Ski Tique - Sold
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2011 at 1:00am
I average about 3 Gal/Hr for time on the water, including engine off time. We cut the throttle at each rider drop & idle back (no power turns!). Even at $4 per gallon, the enjoyment is worth the cost.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2011 at 2:16am
We estimate 3-3.5 gallons per riding set, that is 20 minutes at 2600 rpms and 950-1000lbs between human and sacks.

The way to really test fuel usage, is to fill up the tank, go for a 15 minute cruise, then fill up again. What you used X 4 is what your boat uses for an hour of cruising. You could do the same before and after a wakeboard pull and you'd know how much an average 20 minute pull uses.

I want to add that you cant use the fuel gauges for fine readings as senders are not very accurate and each one is set different than the other therefore they are just for reference.
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2011 at 11:16am
Sort of funny. We do a barefoot race, The Buckethead, which is 37 miles. They had to put in a mandatory 5 minute fueling stop, because some of the boats could not make the distance without extra fuel. The race takes about an hour. We do the race without refueling. We just rest for the 5 minutes. James, 87BFN, uses is Air Nautique, with the Python, and had to take on 10 gallons+. He actually fueled while on the run.
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2011 at 12:57pm
Nothing technical to back it up beyond adding fuel less often, having owned both 350 & 351 PCM's with and without EFI, I felt the EFI motors used less fuel while producing more HP for most events, tough to say when Barefooting as they all burned fuel rapidly then. Wouldn't be surprised if the BBC was more efficient while pulling heavily weighted Wakeboarding or Barefooter(s).
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2011 at 2:01pm
Johnny's 1988 BFN BBC gulps it compared to the SBF in our 1988 SN for regular duty barefooting. He can pull more weight at higher speeds though no question. Nothing to provide in terms of wakeboard speeds but for regular skiing they don't seem to differ noticeably.
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2011 at 2:40pm
If you want to play you gotta pay!!
What the heck it is only money!!!
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2011 at 3:02pm
i'm gonna say ~4-5gal/hr. wakeboarding in my '88 2001 w/351 and ~800-1000lbs total weight...like jody says, it's only money so i don't really pay too close attention to it...
As far as I can tell, I'm not quite sure...
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2011 at 4:40pm
Nevermind
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2011 at 4:49pm
Originally posted by DrCC DrCC wrote:

There is no Road Tax on Marine Fuel.

Not in Wisconsin or Illinois, check your own state(s).
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2011 at 5:00pm
Nevermind
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2011 at 5:06pm
i´m getting around 5 gph all around (cruise/board/barefoot).
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2011 at 6:01pm

Last year I only spent 270.00 on boat gas.   Got 50.00 back.
So, the way I look at it, my first 2011 tank-full is already paid for.

$270 in one year. You've got to move out of Anchorage.
I've always thought if a boater is worried about the fuel consumption, he should take up sailing. It's sort of a weird feeling, but putting gas in my boat is makes me feel good, knowing that I emptied the tank doing what I love to do.
Now the Seadoos are another story. I can go through 50 gallons of gas in a weekend (not counting the BFN), and it's not me putting most of the hours on. It's amazing the gas those things will drink.
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2011 at 6:49pm

Last year I only spent 270.00 on boat gas.   Got 50.00 back.
So, the way I look at it, my first 2011 tank-full is already paid for.

I spend that in gas every 2 weekends of going out...
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2011 at 7:55pm
Yeah, but nevermind.
ky82sn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ky82sn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2011 at 9:33pm
as soon as i finish putting that flux capacitor on my 82sn i wont have to worry about gasoline again   
1982 ski nautique
1966 Al Tyll Skier
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2011 at 11:19pm
Now how about the difference in your tow vehicles fuel consumption and gas mileage. Never really gave much thought to gallons per hour more like how many pulls we are gonna take. If we are going to ride I fill it up. If we are just cruising and swimming a half is more than enough.
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
76tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 76tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2011 at 12:29am
Ok, I'll bite on the tow vehicle, even though I think I have seen a thread on this somewhere else on the site.

She is a 1991 Chevy G20, the shaggin' wagon. 12mpg with the boat on the back. Approaching 200k miles and is a roadtripping machine, has been super reliable except when my buddy pushed her too hard on a roundtrip to Oregon with 2500lb boat on the back and blew the trans. She still made it home.

Unfortunately I have a 120 mile roundtrip to our favorite lake so the van got a workout last summer. Oh BTW we don't tow with the skylon up :-)

1984 SN2001 - sold
1976 Ski Tique - Sold
76tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 76tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2011 at 11:35pm
Had to throw this up here, spotted in the DC area:

Hints of spring around here, can't wait to get out there and burn some $$$!!

1984 SN2001 - sold
1976 Ski Tique - Sold
Tomski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2011 at 11:23am
Got to move to the US, we're looking at £6.00 plus a gallon in the UK this summer!! That's $9.73 at today's exchange rate.

Ouch.
Easily Parted From Money
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2011 at 12:42pm
$9.73 OMG

The ski team upped our dues a couple bucks this summer to make up for the fuel prices. I do know the twin rig burns a lot more than the inboards. We thought during a normal ski practice we averaged about 3.2 gph in our 351w's
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2011 at 2:07pm
What?
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2011 at 2:36pm
woops

1989SN2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1989SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2011 at 3:11pm
Boat gas can only be claimed on form 4136 if it is used in a boat for commerical fishing purposes. How many of you guys who claim this credit run downriggers and nets while you run the slolam course?

Be careful, you don't want Uncle Sam after you.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2011 at 3:14pm

It's not State by State.

It is Federal.

Form #4136 "Credit for Federal Tax Paid on Fuels"

Al,
Plain and simple, you are a tax cheat unless you can honestly claim your boating as business usage.

Here's the 4 catagories on the form:

a Off-highway business use
b Use on a farm for farming purposes 362
c Other nontaxable use (see Caution above line 1) $
d Exported

CC: IRS

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2011 at 4:36pm
Think Lucy at J-H has some splainin' to do.

I got some editing to do.

No such thing as free boat gas Lucy.

Sorry,   I was mis-informed!
skicat2001 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2011 at 5:01pm
They will and always will be "thirsty beasts". Not ever considered a econimical motors. Fill it up and enjoy..
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic