Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Performance mods

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Jimbodawg View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbodawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Performance mods
    Posted: July-08-2005 at 8:23pm
What do you feel get's you the best bang for the buck? I have a 79 Ski Tique with a 302. Please list a ball park cost investment associated with your suggestions.

Here are a few of my buddy's recommendations:
1. Cam - ~$200 before installation
2. Port/Polish the heads - $500 to $700 (are those accurate numbers???)
3. 4 barrell carb - $500 to $700 (are those accurate numbers???)
4. 4 blade prop - $500 to $700 (are those accurate numbers???)
5. Squeeze a mean 351 into it - $4000

I'm perfectly satisfied with the existing performance but I might want to consider modifying it at some point.

Thanks!
ultrahots View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrahots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2005 at 1:24am
The prop and a good ole tune would probably work wonders.

About 300 to 375 for a new good prop is about normal.
Bob's2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob's2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2005 at 3:03am
A 4 barrel carb can run from about 300 up to near 600. This is the range from summitracing.com for Edelbrock and Holley marine carbs and then you would need an intake manifold. Head work would depend on the machine shop and how elaborate you want to get. You can do a lot with a Dremel tool, gasket matching and polishing. The most bang for the buck would be what ultrahots says, and don't forget electronic ignition.
Bob Ed
83 2001
captan1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captan1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2005 at 2:10am
Jimbodaug, it depends if you can do the work yourself, you can by a big compressor and spare heads to learn on for less than $500. I put on 1998 gt40-p heads $300 then after a bowl cleanup and grinding off the hump in the exhaust side i feel the difference

You could always put on external goodies until it blows then do the shortblock.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic