Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Homemade ski/board rack

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
levinmark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levinmark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Homemade ski/board rack
    Posted: January-08-2011 at 1:53pm

Here is a picture of my homemade ski/board rack I made yesturday, I'm lucky to know a person with a steel shop that let me use his tools to cut and grind, did the assembly/welding back at our landscape shop. I also have a friend who makes roofing tools and happens to have a powder coating setup, next step is to take it to him and have it powder coated black and then I am going to apply some protective coating to the fingers to protect the boards and skis. Hopefully the picture turns out, I think I downloaded it correctly,

levin
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2011 at 4:25pm
slide black hose over it, nice job btw. saved yourself a few bucks for the gas tank
"the things you own will start to own you"
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2011 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by levinmark levinmark wrote:

have a friend who makes roofing tools and happens to have a powder coating setup, next step is to take it to him and have it powder coated black

Mark,
Make sure he knows what he's doing and does the best prep possible if you want the coating to last. A acid or strong alkaline bath/cleaning and then a phosphate dip. If he doen't use these steps for the tools he makes, then he is simply using the powder coat as a quick decorative coating that will NOT stand up. I'd be inclined to wet paint!!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
levinmark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levinmark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2011 at 5:14pm
I'm not sure what kinda wash he has, but the the tools hang from a moving overhead conveyer and pass through a wash station, then through a dryer, down to where the person applies the powder coat, and continues through to the heater/baker. I'm hoping that the rack fits through everything, when I go out there to check things out, I'll take some pictures! He has a pretty sweet set-up. I like the hose idea, probably will check out some sprayer grade hose and see if that works.

Thanks guys
levin
thatdude596 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thatdude596 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2011 at 12:17am
man my wakeboards are crying after seeing this pic. i second what eric said about using some type of rubber over the fingers. no need for fat sacs now with that thing! +1 of the creativity
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2011 at 9:12am
Originally posted by levinmark levinmark wrote:

I'm not sure what kinda wash he has, but the the tools hang from a moving overhead conveyer and pass through a wash station, then through a dryer, down to where the person applies the powder coat, and continues through to the heater/baker.

Mark,
It sounds like he has a pretty high end system for his production but still check on his prep/wash and if it's got a phosphate as mentioned. You put some work into that rack and I'd hate to see rust comming out from a pin hole at a weld in a short period of time.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2011 at 12:13pm
now, if someone would invent a retractable ski line....right out the back of the boat....Pete, you got an extra hose reel? you know, I knew a guy many moons ago who invented a fishing rod to where the line went down the center of the rod, no eyes, I still have one around here somewhere, great idea, just never caught on. there went his life savings lol

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thatdude596 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2011 at 12:33pm
eric your late to the party. line winders have been out for years now for the wakeboats. they are pricey around 700-1000 a pop.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2011 at 12:42pm
seeing a wakebord boat new is around the 80k mark, a g-note would be a drop in the bucket. you got guys down there on Chip lake running around in those 80k boats and pulling tubers all day?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2011 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by thatdude596 thatdude596 wrote:

eric your late to the party. line winders have been out for years now for the wakeboats.

Not given,
And you're real late to the party!! They came out for the ski crowd in the late 50's and mounted below the aft deck.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
levinmark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levinmark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2011 at 1:44pm
Yeah it looks a little heavy and could damage skis/boards, especially in the crotch of the brackets, but it actually weighs maybe 25lbs. The ski/wakeboard holders are made of 3/8" steel and are welded to 1x2 tubing. It looks like the 1x2 is solid steel but I took some scrap metal and cut it to size and capped the ends for a cleaner look. Once it is powder coated, it should look pretty clean. As far as skis/boards shuttering when they see this rack. Here is what I am thinking. I am going to take 1.25" rubber tubing and make two cuts on each hose that are 2" long, .75" apart, creating a flap. Then I will slide the hose over the fingers with the cut part facing inward. When the tubing is pushed all the way in, the I should be able to take that 2" flap and curl it upward protecting the crotch that the skis/boards will be resting against. Hopefully it will work? I'll take any suggestions.

thanks
levin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thatdude596 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2011 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

seeing a wakebord boat new is around the 80k mark, a g-note would be a drop in the bucket. you got guys down there on Chip lake running around in those 80k boats and pulling tubers all day?

not really. mostly ski nautiques and mastercrafts. only wakeboat that was on the lake got kicked off due to some bs. long story short poliics are everywhere, so he is no longer welcome with his wakeboat. quite a few water sport enthusiast though due to the ski team being here. not many tubers just a bunch of idiots cutting through the middle constantly.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thatdude596 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2011 at 2:01pm
maybe find something thats similiar to undercoating but drys and stays flexible. rubber in a can? maybe like plastdip or whip end dip for ropes? rhino liner or line x it?
levinmark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levinmark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2011 at 2:49pm
I was also thinking of the rhino liner idea also, I was going to buy a coat of the do it yourself herculiner. I was thinking of rolling on a layer of white herculiner to the keel of my boat to protect it when beaching it. What are your thoughts on this. I heard of people doing this and sounds like not bad of an idea.
levin
levinmark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levinmark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2011 at 4:17pm
I was just thinking,

Instead of going through the trouble of trying to cut and trim to protect the crotch of the rack, why dont I just find a 1.5"x1.5" 3M rubber bumper or bolt through bumber stop? This should be a more durable solution instead of having that flap protecting the boards. Going to Big R to see what I can find.
levin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2011 at 6:18pm
??????

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
levinmark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levinmark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2011 at 9:04pm
I found some 3M bumpers I am going to try. They are 1.25" squares that are .25" thick. These should fit in there quite nicely I'm thinking. I have 1.5" between racks and the braces are 1.5" thick. Hopefully going to check out powder coater tomorrow. I'll post some pics for you guys.
levin
levinmark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levinmark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2011 at 9:25pm

Took the rack to our friend with the powder coat setup. Here are few pictures. He is going to coat it on Saturday.

This is the wash station, it is a phospate rinse to ensure a good clean surface for the powder. From here the rail system goes through the baker to dry, see the last picture

After drying in the baker the product is taken off the line and hung on another that goes to the powder coat application and then continues on back through the bake oven. The oven has both drying and and powder coat baking running through it at the same time

This is the oven, dryer line is on right and finish line is on left, when running, obviously the doors are open.

levin
connorssons View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2011 at 11:45pm
Looks like a nice operation, is he willing to do parts for CC fans. thanks jeff
levinmark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levinmark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2011 at 1:36am
I imagine we could make something workout. I'll post pics of the finished product when he gets it done this weekend.
levin
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2011 at 11:33am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

??????

McMaster Carr has it all. Everyone needs to do themselves a favor and just check the site out for a good little bit.

Check out these as well. The don't have the extra "weather strip" seal on top, but I'm not sure you'd need it. Don't forget to get some bungee strap or something to hold them in there.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
67425ks View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67425ks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2011 at 4:55pm
you might want to try to media blast that part to get the hot rolled scale off of it. it makes a huge difference on our liquid paint parts.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2011 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by thatdude596 thatdude596 wrote:

eric your late to the party. line winders have been out for years now for the wakeboats.

Not given,
And you're real late to the party!! They came out for the ski crowd in the late 50's and mounted below the aft deck.

Pete,

Guessing thatdude is a long lost Banned Member, Here's a Hint:

Not Given = RA
Bedere53 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bedere53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2012 at 6:32pm
In case someone is still following this thread, shrink wrapping material for RC planes makes a nice sleek finish to protect your skis and boards.
Getten Er' Done on my
1989 Ski Nautique 2001
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic