Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

78 natique won’t idle

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
jjwentltd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjwentltd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 78 natique won’t idle
    Posted: July-08-2005 at 12:35am
78 Natique won't idle or run without some throttle. Makes it hard to get a skier up because it is constantly cutting out. Boat recently tuned up and ran fine, may have gotten bad gas from gas dock. I am using a lead additive at 1 ounce per 3 gallons.
This mix has always worked fine in the past. Does anyone have any suggestions????
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2005 at 4:20am
I have been working on an idle problem too...I have been reading past posts that have been about the same subject.
This is what others have said ...
Start with the simple stuff...Fuel filter, check timing(especially after installing new points),look for vaccume leaks,re-adujst carb idle screws and idle speed,spark plugs and plug wires...and coil.
When did you last replace your coil? It seems a lot of folks (including me)spend too much time playing with the carburator...finally swapping in a new coil($30.00)and boom it's back!
A friend who is good with inboards looked at my boat while on the lake... and gave me a list...here is what he said I need to do!
Bring it to his house!!!Ok ..I like that part! and ...we will
*install new points or switch to electronic ignition
*Set the timing( a must if new pts are installed)
*get a new coil and resistor
*check for any vaccume leaks
In my case , he believes it is an ignition problem...fix that and than play with the carb.
if need be!
Let ya know how it goes!
Good luck with yours!
Gary

stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

nates78ski View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2005 at 3:19pm
Try this first. When the engine is at idle and warmed close the choke plate a little at time. If the idle improves the carb is running lean at idle
If this the case remove the idle mixture screws(with the engine off) blow compressed air into the mixture ports. Replace the screws, start the engine, adjust the mixture and with any luck it will idle good.
Dirt & corrosion is older boats is always a problem.
I have found this is the cause about 75% of the time. It is a quick fix that is worth trying because its common & inexpensive.
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

<a href="http://photobucket.com/Nates78ski" rel="nofoll
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic