Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

YR 2001 Ski Nautique - stress cracks

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
JB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: YR 2001 Ski Nautique - stress cracks
    Posted: November-03-2010 at 11:35pm
YR 2001 SN: Cleaned hull and noticed a number of stress cracks in gel coat from waterline to bottom of boat. There are some on stern at both sides, one on each side of boat approx in line with center of engine cover and a number under boat near tracking fins. Is this to be expected in a boat that is close to 10 years old? I posted last month and indicated that boat lists to right a couple of inches - not sure if this is related ?? Tried inserting pic's no luck.

Thanks for any help.
JB
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2010 at 11:46pm
model or year 2001?
JB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2010 at 12:16am
It is year 2001

Thanks
JB
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2010 at 12:45am
Cannot tell by just the description, but anything is possible. If you are talking about while it is just sitting in the water then I would think that is normal due to everything being on that side (dash, gauges, drivers seat, wheel etc) But it shouldn't be too bad and shouldn't be noticeable when underway.

Get some pics of the damage and let us know what it is from and we can probably help you out more.
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2010 at 12:52am
Well, your stringers are composite on a 2001 model year boat. Any foam in the boat should be a closed cell type and not hold water. How bad are the cracks?
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg
JB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2010 at 1:00am
They are spider cracks/hairline - this is the third inboard that I have had and I have seen them on other hulls. Are the cracks in gelcoat normal for a boat 9-10 yrs of age? Even though cracks in gelcoat would water still be able to make its way into boat? I'll send some pics once I get bottom of boat cleaned up.

Thanks for help
JB
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2010 at 1:19am
Originally posted by JB JB wrote:

I noticed a couple of years ago - I believe it has gotten worse. I'm afraid of the answer . . .

I have the same problem, that's why I started P90X.
...those who have fallen and those who will.
JB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2010 at 2:16am
Are you telling me to take a look in the mirror?
JB
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2010 at 5:57am
objects may be larger than they appear.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2010 at 12:55pm
JB, what model is the boat? SN, Sport, supersport??
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
JB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2010 at 11:00pm
It is a closed bow ski SN - model yr 2001 w/450 hrs
JB
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic