Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

velvet drive AL1-70

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
barr68 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barr68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: velvet drive AL1-70
    Posted: July-01-2005 at 11:33am
My '68 Barracuda has a AL1-70 Velvet drive. The manuals I've found don't specificly mention the type of transmission fluid to use in this model .Is DextronIII OK? Thanks. Jim B.
barr68 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barr68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2005 at 11:38am
Thats AS1-70
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2005 at 12:23pm
Take a sample of the fluid currently in the tranny. If it is red, then yes, Dexron III is fine as III is backward compatible to I and II. If the fluid is black (or brown), then it is probably straight 20W (20W-20W) motor oil.

My guess is Dexron III is what you will use.
Barr 68 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barr 68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2005 at 12:31pm
Thanks David.I drained the fluid last night and it is indeed red.Also thanks for responding to my post concerning hard starting .I bought a rebuild kit for my Carter AFB as it looks and runs like it needs one.It was put on the boat in 1978 (I think) and probably has not been apart since. Any tips on Carter AFB rebuilds? Jim
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2005 at 12:39pm
No rebuild experience with Carter carbs. Should not be too diffilcult, just pay attention to what you are doing and you should be fine. Usually, the rebuild kits come with an exploded view of the carb or even instructions to guide you along. Have no fear, dive in.
skyhawkflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyhawkflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2005 at 1:33pm
Barr68
For your Carter don't use carb cleaner, instead soak it in laquer thinner. The gaskets come off much easier. Use only a plastic scraper if you need to do any scraping. If you don't have one take a plastic knife to a grinder and shape it like a screwdriver-flat on the end, then sharpen. When going back together spray your gaskets with silicone spray. They won't stick nearly as bad as the originals. Have no fear, the Carter AFB is super easy. Chances are your plungers that hold the metering rods are dirty or corroded. email me if you have any questions skyhawkflyer1@yahoo.com
nate78 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nate78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2005 at 11:30am
Carters are simplt to rebuild. The only problems to look out for are the power valve piston tend to wear and the bore for them wears. If the pistons are scuffed replace them(get parts at a speed shop). If the bore is worn replace the card. My recommedation for a replacement is an 600cfm Edelbrock marine unit available @Jegs for $300.00. Good luck e-mail me with any questions
barr 68 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barr 68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2005 at 12:35am
Thanks for all the input on the carb rebuild. I rebuilt the carb this weekend and the boat purrs like a kitten now.It now starts instantly and runs much smoother thoughout the rpm range. I also changed the fluid in my trans with less than good results. I describe this dilemmia in my "grinding trans mission " post .Any help you can offer is apprieciated.ThnaksJim/Barr68
barr68
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic