Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

how to replace floor in ’82

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Guest View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: how to replace floor in ’82
    Posted: June-29-2005 at 7:39pm
I have an '82 Sn and I am wanting to replace the floor and carpet and need to know where to start. So if anyone has any suggestions or pics I would appreciate the help.

Thanks
gordonw View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gordonw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2005 at 3:28am
I replaced the floors in my 1980 American skier which is nearly the same. If you can cut out the perimiter of the old floor with a 90 degree grinder tool to seperate the floor from interior wall of boat. Mine had a layer of fiberglass that met the floor to side seam. I left the front of floor in the boat and did not replace that portion because my front seat was part of the deck. Once you have portions of the old floor out you can use these as rough patterns. You can also use long card board on the inside to make patterns. Duct tape the edge on the motor side to existing floor and then use a utility knife to cut pattern. This step is the most important to get a tight seam. To get even closer when you get your pattern in, leave the edge to motor wider than you need. Then use a pencil and tram the boat interior wall directly on you new wood. this will be a perfect pattern to do your final cut. Once your happy with that, make the straight cut along the motor box.

I'm a professional window tinter and I used a pattern making material that is 3mil. low tack plastic. Covered my entire floor and then used a utility knife to cut in the edges. Transfered this pattern to wood and cut. Came out perfect the firts time.

I used 3/4" marine plywood and I would suggest you do the same. I also used stainless screws. When you have the floor out this is a great time to replace the fuel line to tank, throttle cable, steering cable and shift cable.

With the floors out inspect for damage to the stringers ect. Make any repairs now. This is where I went a little crazy. I mixed a hot batch of resin and coated the entire hull that had existing glass. Filling all the existing holes from the old floor screws. Now install your new floor, all wood excluding inspections. Once you have it all screwed down and solid I drilled small holes in the new wood and injected more expandable marine foam to meet the bottom of new floor. Do a little at a time that stuff really expands! Now...take a 7" grinder with a 36 grit wheel and smooth off all surfaces of floor. You don't want to feel any bumps in your new carpet. Make sure your screws are sunk deep enough.

I fiberglassed my floors into the boat. I used 4 ft. wide sheets of 20 oz glass and marine resin. First I laid the fibergalss sheets in the same direction as the wind shield, going across the boat and about 12" up the boat interior wall. Then sheets the length of the boat and 12" up the transom. Then one final wrap around the inside wall. Let it all cure and then take the same grinder with the 36 grit and sand the floors smooth, no bumps! Finally I got the boat leval and dumped one gallon of marine resin on the floors and let it self leval .

Water proof floors. My floors are solid as a rock and I will never touch them again. The fiberglass is probablly not neccessary but at a minimum I would use the foam on the floors, grind them flat and soak the entire floor in a gallon of resin. Don't worry about the weight.

Good luck with it. I did mine in a weekend. Grind it out, make a pattern, install, grind flat and glass. My boat was very quiet after I did all that and never worry when soaking wet people get in. To clean the carpet I just hose it out! The boat rode much more solid and responsive. Original floors were like 3/8 or 1/2 maybe, and glass only on seamed edges. They were in terrible condition and this was the greatest improvement I made. Let us know how it comes out.   
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2005 at 9:24am
good explanation...
For cutting the floor glass, I found a pnuematic cutting wheel with a garden hose zip-tied to the tool, shooting a low volume of water onto the disk, created a slurry instead of a plume of itchy, irritating dust. Still wear appropiate and generous PPE, of course.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
gordonw View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gordonw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2005 at 4:05pm
Yes, the dust will really irritate you. I used one of those full white disposible suits. Otherwise you'll be itching for days! Good luck with it.
HOLESHOT View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HOLESHOT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2005 at 1:53pm
HE JUST SO U KNOW SKI NAUTIQUES ONLY HAVE WOOD
FOR FLOORS UNDER THE FRONT SEATS . FROM THE FRONT OF THE ENGINE COVER TO THE TRANSOME IS ONLY
FIBERGLASS . THE MORE WOOD YOU PUT IN A BOAT THE MORE ROT . USE PREMADE FIBERGLASS SHOWER PANELS
FROM HOMEDEPO INSTEAD OF WOOD .
IF IT HAS A SPARKPLUG I CAN FIX IT
Jim View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2005 at 10:12pm
Gordonw,

I would LOVE to see any pics you have of your floor project (before, during, after, etc)

Thanks for the great info.

Thanks,
Jim
ccskier16 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccskier16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2005 at 11:18pm
Just pulled the front 1/2 of the floor and foam on my 1974 Skier this past week. I have pictrues (in no particular order) here

Used a Dremel tool to cut the glass. No wood floor, just foam with glass on top of it.

I'll post more as things shape up.

-Dave
pmt2234 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmt2234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2005 at 4:00pm
I replaced the floor and stringers in my 84 2001.

Most of the floor had already come unglued from the sides of the hull, so I didn't have to cut there. I cut along the corner of the stringers in the rear to get rid of the rest of the old floor. The only wood in my floor was in the front part of the boat where the seats screwed down, and it was all rotten.

I used a 4" angle grinder to do most of my cutting. A more powerfull tool would've been nicer in some spots, and a smaller one would've been nicer in others.

I replaced the old wood with resin coated plywood, the old foam with new. I used 3 layers of 1.5 oz matt for the new floor, with some extra reinforcing on the side joints to make sure it didn't come unglued again. 2 layers of matt felt too weak.

It took a while to get it done, but I learned a lot in the process.
gordonw View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gordonw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2005 at 7:49pm
I don't have any pictures of the job. I'll see if I can get some good shots of the after though. I'll check back to see if you have any other questions though. Yea, use the suit!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic