NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ski Nautique 176 Steering Cable Length

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ski Nautique 176 Steering Cable Length
    Posted: August-24-2010 at 5:01pm
Has anybody replaced theirs?

Does anybody know the exact length of a steering cable for a 176? I just want to double check that it is 16'.

Thanks

Tim

Kimrel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2010 at 1:02am
Call White Lake Marina 910-862-3688. They just replaced mine on my 1996 ski nautique 176. Its not an easy job.
skiguy27 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skiguy27 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2021 at 2:51pm
need to replace the steering cable on my 176.  Does anyone know the part number or the
length...i see them on Nautique Parts but only for the 196 it seems.   Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks Guys.
skiguy
skiguy27 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skiguy27 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2021 at 2:54pm
need to replace the steering cable on my 176.  Does anyone know the part number or the
length...i see them on Nautique Parts but only for the 196 it seems.   Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks Guys.
skiguy
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2021 at 3:36pm
This is a little bit complicated.  The original OEM cable is part 2205 possibly available from NautiqueParts. However, it is $359, and I am not sure if is still available.  Pretty much everyone replaces with teleflex cables, but teleflex is now Seastar. The Seastar cable, compatible with your helm was SSC 12419 or SSC 12420 (the 19 or 20 being the length) That cable is now obsolete and NLA from seastar (Nautique parts may still have the teleflex version (2205) around and hence its availability) The new replacement part is SSC 15419 or 15420. This cable however has the new bolt pattern of a new and different helm.. You would have to update the helm as well. The 2205 cable (if available - I dont think it is) is $199. The SSC154xx cable is $149 and the new helm is $77 so for $30 more you get the updated system. The 154 cable is reportedly much better performancewise than the 124xx/2205 cable. I just made the cable/helm swap last winter, so I am pretty up to date on all of this.  Both parts available from MarinePartsSource. The helm is part SH91610P.
skiguy27 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skiguy27 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2021 at 4:35pm
Thanks so much appreciate your help.   
Smile

skiguy
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2021 at 9:04pm
I didnt answer one of your questions, but you may have gathered it from my response.  a 19 or 20 cable will work.  I think I got 20, just so as to have a little extra play under the dash when fitting it in.  If you go the route of the new helm and get stuck on how to replace it, let me know.  Not hard, but you have to take the steering wheel off, a few more bolts to access the bolts that hold the back side of the helm in place. the part that needs to be changed out.

Another important note/afterthought.  You didnt say what year your 176 was.  Everything I wrote applies to 96 and 97.  MIne is a 96.  After that, they went to the new style helm and cable.  So if you are 98 or newer, I dont think you need to worry about the helm change.  the new 154xx cable should fit, but double check that with shop when you order.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2021 at 9:53pm
Do those helms have the tilt feature Larry?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2021 at 10:09pm

Yup,  Here is a view from the steering wheel side from when I had it apart doing the swap.  Tilt mechanism is on the left.  Nub of the helm piece that needed to be replaced is sticking out of the middle of the right side.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic