Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

92 Limp, Nav Lights, Voltmeter Problems

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
Tom View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2005 at 12:44am
Maybe I got this thing fixed...
I got the used ECU w/coil paks and a used distributor pickup ass'y from a lady in Wisconsin. She upgraded an identical 1991 Nautique Excel to the SkiDIM breakerless distributor ignition and I bought her old components. Her problem was it would run fine, then would not restart when the engine was fully warmed up (no spark).
I installed her ProTec ECU/coil pak ass'y on my boat and it performed flawlessly! 45minutes of perfect running, smooth idle, great accelleration and 3mph faster than I had ever witnessed on this boat.
Sure as heck, it had no spark after that ride and would not start.

I reinstalled my old ECU/coil pak ass'y and it is now running just fine! I suspect a loose or corroded contact in the flat connector now, so I cleaned all the connector pins and receptacles, applied electrical contact grease and reconnected my old ECU and my boat seems to be cured!

I have tossed an old 7/16" wrench and 1/4" socket in the boat and will carry the spare ECU/coil pak ass'y with me for emergency use.

I have hardly been able to use the boat since this thread began, but I've learned so very much. Thanks especially to David F.

Tom
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2005 at 11:42am
Great news! Electrical contacts were my problem as well. 9 out of 10 times...make sure the connections are good.

FWIW: I did a bit of research and "cruise mode" is present on Pro-Tec engines regardless of whether or not EFI is present. Pro-Tec senses RPM's to know if the throttle is being moved.
Tom View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2005 at 10:25pm
David F wrote: <<FWIW: I did a bit of research and "cruise mode" is present on Pro-Tec engines regardless of whether or not EFI is present. Pro-Tec senses RPM's to know if the throttle is being moved.>>

Interesting... So a 'surging' condition from a gas flow or carb problem could be compounded by a ProTec computer bumping the timing around. No so kind for the guy doing diagnostic work on one. Sure wish they would have just stuck in an RS232 port on their 'black box' and let us at least take a peek at what's going on in there.

Took another ride tonite. Great weather, GREAT sunset, and the motor ran like new again.

Tom
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2005 at 11:03am
Keep in mind that "cruise mode" is only activated AFTER 30 seconds of steady throttle state or engine speed. So, a surging engine would probably never go into cruise mode due to the fluctuating rpms.

Also, cruise mode is deactivated by disconnecting the knock sensor. This allows for setting the base timing as cruise mode is present even at idle.
Tom View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2005 at 9:12pm
David F posted: <<Also, cruise mode is deactivated by disconnecting the knock sensor. This allows for setting the base timing as cruise mode is present even at idle.>>

Ok, well I don't wanna mess with it now. It's running just fantastic! Like new even, (since I remember driving it when it was new in 1992) and I have left the overtemp and low oil pressure switches disabled for a week but I intend to hook them back up and cross my fingers now.

Tom
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic