Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ski Tower (Struggle)

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
Author
Bama Nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bama Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ski Tower (Struggle)
    Posted: August-21-2010 at 1:40am
I have an 89 SN 2001 and just had it wet sanded and am waiting on a set of original decals to put back on it. I love the fact that my 89 will be completely restored to its original condition in just a few more weeks.

My son just learned to wakeboard and has taken to it very well. I purchased a used Skylon pylon for $50 and it has worked great for the few weeks that I have had it. The problem is that we dry dock and I have to put it on and take it off each time. Doesnt take too long but it is something that has to be done.

I am struggling with the idea of installing a ski tower on the 89 SN 2001. I love the look of the towers on the newer boats but am not sure I like the way they look on the older boats. I have found some at bigairwaketowers.com and am looking at the Vapor and the Ice towers. I know that I may get blasted for even considering putting a tower on an older boat and taking away from the classic Ski Nautique look. I just wanted to throw the idea out there and get everyones response on what they thought.

Thanks for your input.

89 Ski Nautique 2001

89 Ski Nautique 2001
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2010 at 2:38am
that sure is a nice boat to be sticking a tower on! I vote for keeping the Skylon, and making your take it off each time, that may cure him of wakeboarding, and get him on the slalom!
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2010 at 2:42am
agree
...those who have fallen and those who will.
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2010 at 3:12am
I'm going to disagree with the no tower crowd, New Dimensions look just fine on those boats. I do question the time saving though because you will still have to put the tower down, and that may be a little more labor than removing the Skylon.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2010 at 9:53am
No tower.
3 no.
1 yes.

Don (the no vote),
Why don't you have your boat in the diaries or at least a link or avitar? I have a feeling your boat is far from original. If that's the case, I feel your situation is certainly different than someone who has made a effort to and wants to keep his boat original. How about a link to some pictures?

Doug,
Yes, very nice. Keep up the good work.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2010 at 11:18am
Hollywood doesnt need a tower (crutch) to flip........
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2010 at 4:15pm
Pete, I'm really just too lazy to take some good shots. With the exception of the tower and some traction mat added to the gunwales, everything else is either original or can be retuned to original. Although I do like to upgrade things, I try to make it a point not to compromise the original look anymore than I already have, if it doesn't look like it came that way I won't do it. That being said there are some things that either weren't available (Perfect Pass) or weren't ordered (heater and depth/temp guage) that have been added to make her better for our use. In the end she is doing what she was designed to do, which is pull things around the lake, and we get quite a few people every year who can't believe she is almost 20 years old.

I've been working hard on the late summer detailing, so hopefully I'll get around to some pics before too long, they just don't look right sitting in the dark boat slip where she spends most of her time in the summer.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2010 at 4:34pm
Don,
Understood. Still, get some pictures and a diary entry!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
gn6027 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gn6027 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2010 at 10:11pm
Doug,
   I put a FCT on my all original '87 back in 2005, and don't regret it at all. (Sorry Pete, I know you're cringing as you read this) I had a Fly High, but the tower is a great addition.

The FCT tower install was a little tricky, and I would do things a little different if I did it again.

The tower folds down in less than a minute; much quicker than with a pylon.

Be prepared to spend more than $50...

Just my $0.02...

By the way, nice looking boat!!

Glen
jbenbri View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbenbri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2010 at 11:05pm
If you go with the tower I'll be happy to give you the $50 for the pylon. I am trying to finish a stringer job on a 83 and am having the same debate myself. If I get a pylon for $50 the debate will be over. The pylon will win out for sure!
TRIP View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2010 at 11:09pm
I like original too, and couldn't put a tower on a Silver Nautique but I'd put a FCT2(/ND) on this. The only really good looking tower for a 2001 and as close to original as can be.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2010 at 11:18am
BN - Also vote no on the tower!

We use a extended pylon. I tied the bow strap to the lift eye with an elastic strap & leave it in place, even for trailering. It takes like 1 minute to put up the pylon.   I would think that folding a tower up & down would be more work than that.

My .02
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
thatdude596 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thatdude596 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2010 at 11:38am
stay away from bigairwaketowers!!!!!!!!!!!! they almost tried ripping off a guy i know who lives in the village. he sent the money for the tower speakers lights racks etc, and almost didnt get any of it. he finally got the tower after 4 months, relentless calls threats and more threats contacting the police calling the local bbb etc etc. it was at the point this guy was gonna pay some people to go "check" this guy out. guy came up with every reason as to why it wasnt being shipped or made yet. it took another month to get the lights and racks. the guy who owns and operates is a real piece of work. if your looking into a tower go new dimensions or even monster for a budget priced solid tower.i think a tower looks good on any boat. the skylon is a pita!
jbenbri View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbenbri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2010 at 3:47pm
I put a big air tower on a boat I use to own and had no problems.
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2010 at 6:25pm
I just had a great experience with Big Air. I ordered the H2O with 2 racks and a bimini top. I still need to install it, but it came in 4 days, the company was great to work with, (I worked with Deeana) and they sent me extra pictures to help me measure and also sent me instructions via PDF. They also are "military friendly" so ask for their discount. Not sure what the story was on your buddy thatdude596, but my experience to date was excellent service.
As far as the vote to tower or not to tower, I obviously vote for the tower as I am about to put one on my 89 SN. I really do understand and even admire the purist view, but I based my decision on what the tower will do for my ski experience. The boats I have skiied in with towers are more organized. The racks hold the boards/skis, bimini top and keep your field of vision clear and everything off the deck. Speakers and lights just sweeten the pot. The penalty is 16 holes and possible spider cracks. Thats just me, and if these boats are tools for skiing/boarding/family fun, I think the penalty is worth the gain! Thats just my 2 cents.
Tom
1980 Ski Nautique Boat Bar
1988 Mastercraft Tristar Open Bow
1988 Mastercraft Tristar Closed Bow
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
2004 Seadoo GTX SC + Flydive Xboard
1999 Adventurecraft
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2010 at 10:15pm
Originally posted by gn6027 gn6027 wrote:

The FCT tower install was a little tricky, and I would do things a little different if I did it again.

By the way, nice looking boat!!
Glen

If you say the install was a little tricky, knowing your skills and those of your helper (Dad) then I gotta guess it might just be a little tough for the rest of us.

"Nice looking boat"...you oughta know.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Chopper View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2010 at 11:11pm
I'm a fan of the tower over a high pole, but you have to choose the right tower, and you have to have the budget.

I put a "universal" type tower on my old 1989 when I "restored" it. I went the heavilly customized route though to suit wakeboarding. The universal tower was a real pain in the butt to fold down - too fiddly. I would do it again, but it would have to be a FCT 2 style like ND offer. Problem is that the universals are all much cheaper. Keep this in mind when looking at them. If possible, get the supplied to demonstrate the folding technique.

For $50 you have spent, I'd stick with that high pole for a while, and get some pole mounted racks. This would be much more cost effective than a tower, and you would still want the racks. As others ahve said, the pole only takes a minute to take down.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2010 at 12:45am
No tuna tower!
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2010 at 1:34am
I have an older tuna tower and I think the lines look great compared to the line of the windshield although it is a real PITA to fold down. I have to use a hex wrench every time and it folds down into the middle of the boat and not over the bow!

I for one would not put one on an all original 2001 but my boat was brought back from the dead and not even close to original so I had NO problem slapping that puppy on mine!

I almost got a red 89 that had 120 original hours on it and would of used a pole instead of a tower but it is nice to have my mirror and boards all out of the way with the tower. I also have a mount I made to film the wake boarder which wouldn't have worked without the tower.

Good luck!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2010 at 2:01am
I think Joey makes a good point, if the boat is not stock and in good condition, then why not. I'm also a believer in thinking it through and making sure the tower and the lines of the boat work. My tower hung from a tree over my boat for 3 days and my wife and I moved it around and looked at it and thought about it until it was right. I knew that I didn't want a ND tower, had to have something that could stand up to the foils, and would have had it made custom if that's what it took to get the lines I wanted.

Doug, don't pull any direction but up on the lifting ring, the earlier comment about using a bungee on the ring to hold the bow sling in place was a good idea.
form&function View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote form&function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2010 at 2:14am
Just for the record the 89 2001 is not classic or antique.If it wasn't for the wakeboard croud it might have gone down in history as the worst ski boat ever made so I say put whatever the hell you want on it.
fyi,the big air products are a joke.
98motorsport3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98motorsport3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2010 at 2:59am
Originally posted by form&function form&function wrote:

Just for the record the 89 2001 is not classic or antique.If it wasn't for the wakeboard croud it might have gone down in history as the worst ski boat ever made so I say put whatever the hell you want on it.

I totally agree. I always thought some people on here were a little wacky when it comes to these boats. Maybe it's just me, but I would have no problem slapping a tower on a 100 hour silver nautique. It's a boat and not a rare one. But they are freaking awesome!
83ski2001 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83ski2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2010 at 3:32am
if someone was putting a tower on an old wood boat that would be one thing...but the 2001s are a dime a dozen...
MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2010 at 3:27pm
if your son is serious about wakeboarding, the tower would be a good investment...better pull, better visibility (no cable), better interior room (board racks, no cable), and you don't have to put it up/take it down. i think it will have zero effect on resale and may even increase resale as the 2001 makes such an excellent wake boat. it does take away from the "classic" look...but, what is your boat supposed to do?? look good or work good??
As far as I can tell, I'm not quite sure...
anthonylizardi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2010 at 6:19pm
My friend has a Big Air on his and at first I though that for the price is great. Now that I have FCT2 on my boat and the difference is amazing. The FCT2 is so solid, no anoying noises, and folds in minutes. Also, I like the look even though the purist thinks the opposite. I really like how much space I have gained.

seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2010 at 7:40pm

WOW! Can you qualify that statement? The 2001 got great reviews in comparison testing,
http://books.google.com/books?id=euMDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA86&lpg=PA86&dq=American+Skier+Advance&source=bl&ots=qTXrClWdNv&sig=lAMr1pMyTNRgPBvzcyceGmMDysg&hl=en&ei=NyN8S57_O4z-Ncr9xbwF&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CAgQ6AEwATg8#v=onepage&q=American%20Skier%20Advance&f=false
so I guess all the boats it beat are worse than it! The 1989 was the first year they used the reduction gear (powerplus) transmission for more out of the hole power. This was the first year of the silent muffler as well. 1989 was also the first year that Correct Craft used AME epoxy resin instead of polyester resin that all other boat companies are still using. AME 4000 at half the weight of polyester and is more than twice as strong. This is huge in being able to handle multi-directional stress. It also helped with the stringer problems the earlier 2001 series were plauged with. It happens to be classic to the 2001 enthusiasts who have their own website.
http://www.the2001.com/
I'm just saying..............
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2010 at 8:31pm
As a side note, I am one of the wakeboard folks who sought out this hull specifically for the accidentally great wakeboarding wake it produces. I really could not care less about the great minimal slalom wake it produces at slalom speed. I do appreciate the improvement for slaloming over my other boats (an outboard and a Yamaha jet boat) I bought it for the wake hence the wake tower. I sort of agree with you form and function,on the fact that this boat is not a collectors classic like the early boats, but you pretty much came off as arrogant and abrasive and condesending towards these boats. What boat do you have? I looked at your profile and noticed an absence. For the nay sayers on the Big Air product, I will admit that at 2 to 3 times the price, you can get a better product. If I had $50,000 to blow, I could get the ski boat of my dreams. For a family trying its best to provide a good ski experience for its kids (10 and 8), I am pretty sure an 89 SN with a Big Air tower is going to get them by for quite a few years, and if they advance I can replace towers, and the old one will be retired. By then I will be ready for a new motor that will talk to a new Zero Off system. If they do not advance and grow bored with skiing, my wife and I will just have to make do with an old boat and an old tower.
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2010 at 8:32pm
Originally posted by MI-nick MI-nick wrote:

if your son is serious about wakeboarding, the tower would be a good investment...better pull, better visibility (no cable), better interior room (board racks, no cable), and you don't have to put it up/take it down. i think it will have zero effect on resale and may even increase resale as the 2001 makes such an excellent wake boat. it does take away from the "classic" look...but, what is your boat supposed to do?? look good or work good??

BINGO
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
anthonylizardi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2010 at 8:44pm
If you are set on the Big Air is your call. Have you look at Monster? The only reason I mention this is because of what I have seen in the big air, the rattling make me crazy. Is your call. I bet it would work fine.
NAUTI84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NAUTI84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2010 at 9:04pm

2001's might not be classics or antiques (yet). But most Harleys and Vettes aren't either.
In all cases, there are those done right, and many done very very wrong!

When it comes to the tower, tough decision -
If your family is into it and that'll give you the most use, slap it on and run it into the ground (water)!
These tug boats were made to be used.
I almost put a Monster on mine. Now glad I didn't though, because it turned out that my girls weren't that into it and my sking buddies got too old!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
  Share Topic