Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pylon Ring

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
delasoul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote delasoul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pylon Ring
    Posted: June-19-2005 at 12:26am
I have a 1967 ski nautique that I am installing a fly high pylon on. Does anyone know how to remove the brass ski ring out of the original pylon? I do not want to saw it off and the bottom of the original pylon is bent a little bit from years of use.
I was also told by a dealer that I could not install any other pylons in place of the factory one on the boat. I just assumed they all went on the same. Any ideas? Thanks.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2005 at 1:58am
See the thread titled "upgrades on a ’86 2001"
under the General Forum. There is a discussion of how to remove the ring about
1/2 way down.

Are you sure that the pylon isn't bent at
the bottom by design?

BKH
Livin' the Dream

delasoul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote delasoul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2005 at 2:49am
Yeah im starting to think it is supposed to be bent. By following the suggestions there should be pins that need to be punched out. a few questions I have on removing the original pylon ring...

1.Is the ring itself threaded at all? I would assume not because it wouldn't stay straight when first installed.

2.Is this the pin that needs to be punched and if there are 2 of them where would the other one be located? I see a few towards the bottom base but i'd assume they are holding on the bottom brass piece. I brushed off some of the paint in hopes of finding another pin.

3.About how far down does the ring go through the pylon?

4.Any recommendations on how to punch it out? Won't tap out but i have access to a machine, it appears that the pin goes all the way through.

5.Are all pylons bent at the bottom? Im sure it will work fine with the fly high that I am installing.

Just trying to get it out without damaging the original ring thats already 38 years old as far as i know. Thanks for the help!

Pylon Picture

Medium Shot of where one found pin is

Close up of the pin that needs to be punched?

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2005 at 4:04am
Can't help you there. I've never taken
one off myself. There are a couple of
guys who seem to know everthing about these
boats. I'll bet they have some answers
for you on Monday.

You may want to send a PM to hyper1965(see the
86 upgrade thread). He was at least 1 who had
done this before.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2005 at 4:07am
P.S. Not all pylons are bent, however,
many of them are. Typically they are
bent to the contour of the motor box.

The only pylon I've seen where the bend
creates an issue for the high pole is on
some of the older supras, where there is
a radical bend (probably 20 to 30 degrees).

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Barr 68 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barr 68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2005 at 10:12am
The ski ring is threaded into the pole. Take a long screw driver ,breaker bar, ect. and put it through the ring .Put tension/pressure on it slowly(lefty loosey)so as not to damage the ring or the tool. Probably pretty tight but should break loose.The pole should have 1/4" bolt or pin going through it and the bottom base plate which is glassed to the bottm of your hull. It is a bit of a pain to get at but once removed you should be able to remove the pole by pulling upward while twisting the pole. These tend to be tightly fit so it may be stubborn. Some penetrateing oil between the pole and the base fitting may help. Good luck (if you have no need for the ring I'd like to buy it). Barr68

Barr68 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barr68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2005 at 10:15am
Sorry , I responded to your question before I saw the pics. Your pylon is different than the one on my '68. Duh
Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Owner / Operator of CorrectCraftFan.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2005 at 1:14pm
delasoul,
I may have found a solution to your problem. There is someone on the site who is looking for your exact pylon (with the ring) and I have a ring-less 2 1/2" plyon from an '86 Ski Nautique (with the bend) that was cut (not cut by me) to fit an Air Boom extended pylon.

You could sell your orginial plyon to this person and I could sell you mine.

This other person should be contacting you shortly. In the mean time, hold off on detaching the ring.

-Keith
Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
Ronnie Caldwell View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronnie Caldwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2005 at 1:50pm
I have a 69 Barracuda and need the original pylon. Would you be willing to sale the pylon to me since you are changing it out? Ronnie Caldwell 704 489 2124
delasoul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote delasoul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2005 at 11:19am
keith, tough subject right now. I was told originally the ring was a separate piece but right now I'm thinking its one piece all the way down somehow. My dad brought it to work the other day and had someone at a shop punch the pin out. Apparently they were heating it up or tried taping the ring and cracked it. So now my job is finding out exactly what it's made out of so they can either fix it or else its going to come out and make a removable one. I just wanted to use the pylon one more season before being forced to go to a tower. The boat needs a new paint job before that, I just think it would look odd with a 67 with a tower, but who knows. still sick about it, but we'll see if they can come up with a decent job.

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hyper1685 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2005 at 6:27pm
sorry for the late response. ive been at the lake for the week. i have an 86 sn, and the pylon looks different than yours. from your pictures, it looks like the ring and pylon are one piece. sorry i can't be of more help.

Chris
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic