Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Prop

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
SkiBare View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prop
    Posted: June-15-2005 at 7:20pm
I have a stock '95 Ski Nautique with the 351HO and the PCM tranny (1.3:1). It has the stock 3 blade prop. Is there any advantage/disadvange to going with a 4 blade?

Thanks!
Darrel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2005 at 9:08pm
I have the same boat/motor/tranny (1.23:1).
I recently purchased an ACME 4 blade, kept the oj 3 blade as a spare. It "feels" smoother,less vibration. About the same top end speed and slightly quicker to plane. RPM's @ WOT dropped from 4800 to about 4500. Maybe its better on fuel now. It wasnt a huge difference, i think guys w/ the 2001 hull and older see the biggest improvements.
SkiBare View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2005 at 1:15pm
Darrel- Thanks. That's great that you have the same boat. It doesn't sound like it would be worth the cost/effort.
Let me ask you this-Knowing what you know now, would you have still made the change?
Darrel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2005 at 4:27pm
Yes, for a few reasons. I wanted another prop, My SN is one of my hobbies, so i like playing with it. I got good prices buying both my props off skiboat websites like this one. I think i paid $125 for the OJ 3 blade and $230 for the ACME 4 blade. I had what i thought may have been a little too much vibration w/ the near new oj so i had it rebalanced. I have not had a chance to give it a spin since getting it back. The ACME is a good prop, thats why I use it as my primary,(at first i was concerned bout the rpm drop, i dont think its a big deal) maybe next weekend i will test them back to back. Finally I really wanted to have a back up prop at all times...just in case. So, yes i would do it again and i would make the change. Is your boat carb or injected?
SkiBare View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2005 at 5:53pm
Darrel-
It's injected. My brother bought it new, and I recently purchased it. It has about 500 very well maintained hours on it.

Thanks
Props View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Props Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2005 at 8:42pm
Excellent, i have a carbed engine from a 1993. Do you have pictures in the diaries section yet?
DesertSkier View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DesertSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2005 at 4:27pm
I have a 92 Ski Nautique and had to swap the prop due to damage suffered from hitting sandstone at Lake Powell. I went from the stock prop to a 4 Blade Acme and noticed a significant difference. Much stronger hole shot and noticably smoother. Top end was about the same. I was very suprised as I didn't believe all the hype.
SkiBare View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2005 at 12:00am
Guys- Thanks a lot for the info. I may 'go for it' and change it out. I've been hesitant as I usually figure that if CC wanted a 4 blade prop, they would have shipped it with one.
One other question. Does it effect idle speed? That is the only thing that can sometimes be an issue- it moves about 5mph at idle. I wish it was slower.
-Bob
SkiBare View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2005 at 12:13pm
You knew I'd have one more question!
Did you keep the dia. and pitch the same? I'm wondering if I should "tweek" that a bit?
Darrel View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2005 at 7:41pm
Ive owned 2 Nautiques and driven plenty of others, rarely are they wake free at idle. I just bump it into gear back off a few seconds then forward again...
As far as "they would have shipped it with one" I dont believe ACME was nearly as accomplished with their CNC props back in 95 as they are now. If your thinking of "tweeking" just call ACME they have great 3 and 4 blade props and have done all the research in advance on their dime. They come "pre-tweeked"!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic