NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Slow Speedo

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Furno View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Furno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Slow Speedo
    Posted: June-14-2005 at 12:51am
I've been lurking for a while and thought I would post a small problem I've had ever since I've owned my boat.

I've got a '83 2001 and the right side speedo moves real slow. Given enough time, it will get up to the correct speed. After slowing down, it moves back to zero as slow as it goes up.

I tried switching the tubes in the back, thinking something was wrong with one of the air lines, but after switching the lines, the right side still moved real slow.

I believe they are the original speedometers, chrome with black background and white numbers.

Any ideas?

Andy
Michigan
Andy

'83 2001
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2005 at 12:23pm
Seems you have an obstruction in the pressure line unless you made the line change at the speedo. If so, then I suppose the mechanism of the speedo is at fault and you will need to find a replacement as the units are sealed.
AWhite70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AWhite70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2005 at 2:49pm
Furno,
The speedo's in my '79 Nautique operate the same way. The left speedo responds much faster but the right will eventually catch up.

It bugged me at first, but now I'm used to it. It's not a big enough problem for me to worry about.
pmt2234 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmt2234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2005 at 4:10pm
Sealed units? I dissassembled and oiled the speedo's on my 84 without trouble. I wasn't having problems, it just seemed to be a good idea.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2005 at 5:40pm
Well, then not all Airguides are created equal. The five units I have on hand are all sealed.
nms1991 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nms1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2005 at 1:47am
The 83 nautique used the chrome housing versions and you could disassemble them fairly easily and the sealed versions can be disassembled also. First you lay out a clean towel then you take the speedo and roll the speedo on the towel and apply pressure with your hands and the black ring around the outer edge should come off(newer style). The older style all you need is a small scewdriver and a little luck(remember the screws have most likly been in there since it was new). I have used internal parts from newer speedos to repair the older chrome ones, all you have to do is cut the needle off a 1/4" on the end.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic