Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Epoxy Fiberglass Materials...where to get

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
tleed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tleed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Epoxy Fiberglass Materials...where to get
    Posted: June-09-2005 at 3:26pm
I understand I'm supposed to be using epoxy fiberglass repair materials, not polyester. However, I seem to be having trouble finding them. The can of Bondo brand "Home Solutions" resin I got at my local Lowe's says on the label that if you want something that will stand up to "years of abuse, harsh climates, mild chemicals and cold environments, look for Bondo Home Solutions Extra-Strength Epoxy products with the green label."

So I take it I got the polyester stuff.

Do I understand this correctly?

Any suggestions on where to find the epoxy stuff?

The largest boat dealer around here doesn't even carry fiberglass repair materials.

Thomas
Bill336 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill336 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2005 at 6:08pm
I got my stuff from Michigan Fiberglass Supply. I beleive they have a website, too.

http://www.michiganfiberglass.com/

Also, I am using polyester resin and adhesive. I asked Chris at MFS and he said that you can use epoxy, and he'd be happy to sell it since it's more expensive, but it's not necessary since the rest of the boat is polyester anyway.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2005 at 7:51pm
Wait a minute here...not so fast...

Regardless of what was used to construct the original boat, epoxy is a far superior adhesive compared with polyester. Since repairs are a secondary and not primary bond, you want the best adhesive possible. So go epoxy. For small jobs, Home Depot carries Bondo brand marine two part epoxy (one can is blue, the other white). Or, a good source is uscomposites

Also, Correct Craft has been using epoxy resins for years and years which allows them to make the boats lighter and stronger than the competition. Polyester resin should NOT be used to repair epoxy based composites. So, I guess I take issue with Chris at MFS (whoever that is). Sure, many repairs to polyester boats are made with polyester, but why do it when a stronger alternative is available.
tleed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tleed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2005 at 8:34pm
OK, I've heard this Home Depot epoxy resin rumor before but my local Home Depot doesn't have this stuff and the people at the store act like they can't get it. What is the brand they're supposed to carry? Is it Bondo, too?

Thomas
Bob's2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob's2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2005 at 8:57pm
Instead of the mega-stores try a locally owned hardware supply. I have better luck with them on specialty items. These people live where you live and most of them can and will do more for you than the big stores which are limited to the corporate preferred suppliers.
Bob Ed
83 2001
tleed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tleed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2005 at 9:41pm
Yeah, tried the local hardware store option, too. They were equally clueless.

The Advance Auto store tried really hard to sell me polyester resin.

Still looking for local source…

Thomas
S.T. View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S.T. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2005 at 1:02am
Where do you live? West Marine usually has a very good selection of fiberglass supplies and even some really cheap books ($5?) on exactly how to use it. Boater's World also has the stuff you need. In fact, I'd bet just about any boating/marine store would have what you need. Are there any boat dealers around? Where do they get their stuff? Auto body supply stores might also have the stuff.
kenny g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenny g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2005 at 11:38am
try this www.fibre glast.com
lots of free how to information.go to the help i'm new section,then click on mold building.

david f,i think they have better prices than uscomposites,check them out.
i just ordered the step 1 & 2 mold polish[used for restoring old gelcoat] i'll post how well it works on the two mustangs.
they claim ,no need for wetsanding oxidized gelcoat with this product,just buff it in.

kenny g
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2005 at 12:39pm
I have fibreglast saved as a "favorite" from when I did my research. Fibreglast wants $115.00 for 1.33 gallons of epoxy resin. UScomposites wants $50.00 for 1.33 gallons of epoxy resin. Both 3:1 ratio.

All my local Home Depot stores carry the Bondo brand of marine epoxy resin (1:1) ratio. It is sold in the paint section next to the Bondo body putty and fiberglass cloth/mat, etc. The resin cost about $22.00 for 2 pints. I have some on hand for when I want to mix very small amounts since it is easier to measure and mix 1:1 ratio in small batches (for plugging striped screw holes, etc.)

I agree, marine stores usually carry epoxy resin, but at a very high premium.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2005 at 1:15pm
This is what the Austin area Home Depots carry...Bondo marine epoxy resin
tleed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tleed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2005 at 2:20pm
Yep, David, that's exactly what my local Home Depot, Lowe's, Advance Auto, Carquest, and Motor Mile Outdoors (the big boat dealer) do NOT have.

And I'm not exactly in the boonies. However, I did find one local auto parts store that SAYS they have epoxy resin. Can't wait to see if it's actually polyester.
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2005 at 2:43pm
Both Home Depots in Clear Lake / Kemah area quit carrying the resin. (Or at least they have both been out of stock for over a year.) The last time I checked was about 3 or 4 weeks ago. With the high boat density in this part of the world you would think they would have it.
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
cshire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cshire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2005 at 7:42pm
There are some excellent resources on the web for learning about plywood/fiberglass/epoxy boat construction.

I recommend bateau.com and their FAQ's and discussion boards as a great starting point. They also have links to suppliers for both glass and epoxy.

epoxy sources:
www.raka.com
www.masepoxies.com
www.westsystem.com
www.systemthree.com
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2005 at 2:57am
Try www.glen-L.com

Barr 68 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barr 68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2005 at 5:47pm
Try U.S. Composites. They have a web site and tech support. I used thier products on my Barracuda and they worked well.
nates78ski View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2005 at 9:32pm
Repairing polyester resin with epoxy is the only to go. The problem is that once poly resin cures it will not bond to itself. Some marinas use poly resin because it is cheaper & quicker. Epoxy resin on the otherhand will bond to any clean, non-porus material. I have been using West System epoxy for 20 years and have never had a shrinkage or failure problem. The best epoxies mix at a ratio of 5:1. Anything less than that ratio is weaker but will cure quicker. Your choice is quick or strong you can't have both.
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

<a href="http://photobucket.com/Nates78ski" rel="nofoll
tleed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tleed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2005 at 2:54am
Nate:

Most of the epoxies I've looked at mix at 1:1 up to 3:1 or 4:1 ratio. Are you saying those aren't as good as a 5:1 mix?

If so, where do you get the 5:1 mix?

The epoxy resin I was finally able to come up with at my local auto paint supply store is Evercoat brand and mixes at 1:1.

Thomas
Tonali_III View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonali_III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2005 at 1:27pm
My experience has been that epoxy is the best. And West System is the best epoxy available, in my opinion. I suggest checking out their web site.
1974 Southwind 20
<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6752" rel="nofollow">1972 Mustan
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2005 at 1:50pm
I am sure that West System epoxies are fine products. However, West is very proud of their epoxies and the price reflects this.

Given what is desired, most epoxies resins will perform admirably for fiberglass repair work. This is why I suggest USComposites' 3:1 635 epoxy. Of course this is my oppinion based on experience with the 635. Maybe West System epoxies have been proved to bond stronger, etc, etc. But....
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic