Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Awlgrip, Imron, Interlux or other???

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Jason View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Awlgrip, Imron, Interlux or other???
    Posted: June-02-2005 at 8:49pm
Got the spray guy, not I need the paint.

Which do you prefer, I want to paint just the stripe a royal blue.

Should I go back with the rusteoleum that was originally used? It held pretty good for 23 years. If so where do I purchase.

Does I need to buy primer?

What about solvent, that they try to sell you to "degrease" the surface before painting? Do I need to spend there top dollar or just use something found locally?

How much will I need? 1 quart? Just doing the stripe. Also should I buy a reducer?

How many coats?

Any other special considerations? The painter is a friend, who has never painted boats, but painted cars and motorcycles.

I was going to do Awlgrip, but having a terrible time finding royal blue in stock, anywhere online. I saw Interlux and it is half the price. Rusteloeum???

Thanks
Jason
nates78ski View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2005 at 12:09am
We just painted our entire boat w/ Awlgrip 2000, this stuff is great, but only use it if your boat is oon a lift or being hung, but since u said it was just the stripe im sure this would suit you well,,, very durable, great look
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

<a href="http://photobucket.com/Nates78ski" rel="nofoll
Mustang77 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mustang77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2005 at 1:17am
Hi Jason,

For striping you should seriously consider "Interlux Brightside Polyurethane". No preping other than a little sanding and it will really lay down a beautiful finish. Interlux also has their boot strip enamels which are also very good.
Jason View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2005 at 2:43pm
It is going to be painted on the trailer, bow stop, side posts, and teak deck removal should be enough to give a clear shot.

Why does the boat need to ba hanged with awlgrip?

Jason View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2005 at 3:49pm
After discussing this with a tech on the phone, he talked me into going with Interlux.

How does this sound for a plan.

1. Finish removing last bits of paint with oven cleaner.

2. Fill any small cracks or nicks with interlux surface putty. Would bondo do the same thing? Just have a few small nicks, that are too deep to sand.

3. Wash boat with soap and water

4. Use special degreaser cleaner to remove everything off surface.

5. Sand boat with 250-300 grit sand paper.

6. Rinse boat with fresh water.

7. Spray first coat.

8. Allow drying time per instructions

9. Resand boat with 250-300 sand paper

10. Spray Second Coat

11. Same scenario - Possible 3rd coat

12. Not sure what next? Do I need to wet sand it with 1500, rubbing compound, and then a good wax or????

What do you think? Any steps I am leaving out?
billgatesceo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billgatesceo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2005 at 9:55pm
What color are you going with? I noticed your boat is white to begin with. If your doing something other than white, are you only gonna paint down to the bottom?

Did they say if you have to primer first?

When I repainted my truck I know I went up to atleast 600 on the primer before I shot the paint.

Looks like a fun job....almost easier than my sanding that I am trying to do.
billgatesceo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billgatesceo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2005 at 11:21pm
Oh yeah...what was the quote for all the paint?
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2005 at 3:04am
Sanding the first coat with 250 or 320 sounds a bit much (can you even find 250? 220 is more common). You will easily sand through paint with 220 or 320. If it were me, I would only apply one coat. Since you are painting a stripe, too heavy a buildup will leave an unsightly raised edge that will be hard to feather out.

So, 320 will give the paint plenty of bite and one coat for the stripe and then color sand to get the orange peel out...go for it.

Just my $.02.

BTW: have you considered using gelcoat for the stripe...much more durable than paint. This is what I had done to my '77 Martinique. Care must be taken to ease the edge so it does not look top coated.

Good luck.
Jason View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2005 at 4:13am
The boat was sporting a rusty red and brown tri-color stripe and I stuck in the same boat as many on this board with having 2 different shades of white, with the ghost image of "ski nautique".

I am just repainting the stripe. The cost of paint is about $20, but I will need some other stuff also.

A friend is painting it, and I am trading some work, so it is free except for my time.

320 sounds fine, I am not sure about using gelcoat, because I thought it was pretty tough to apply. I will post pics once I am done.
thanks

David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2005 at 6:55pm
Gelcoat can be sprayed on just like paint. However, it will not lay down as flat and you end up with significant "orange peel" that must be sanded out. Hence the extra labor involved when using gelcoat.

To spray gelcoat, it is generally thinned with specialty thinners or Styrene at no more than 20% by volume. I usually spray at 25-30psi
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2005 at 7:33pm
David,

Do run a boat refinishing business? Your phrase, "I usually spray at..." makes me think you must.
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2005 at 7:59pm
No, I have just gathered lots of experience lately since I purchased a wrecked '93 SN back in September from one of our CCF members. I read everything I could find, purchased videos, talked to local pros and then dove in. I have learned more than I care to admit (hands on) and am now nearing the end of the project. Working with gelcoat presented the greatest trial and error sessions, but I have it mostly mastered now that I am almost finished. It has been tedious at best, but something I will be proud to show off and say I did it all. FWIW: so far several hundred manhours invested...about 30 to go.

When the boat is finished, I will post it in the Diaries section with before and after shots.
raygunclan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raygunclan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2005 at 11:14pm
jason, i'm still voting for black or dark blue. there is a really cool one @
http://www.monstertower.com/customerphotos/index.htm
then click on correct craft and it is about the 9th set of pics on the page. wake goddess. she has posted on here before and her boat looks so cool!
just a girl, admiring a girl's boat!
i can't wait to see the finished product! your tower looks awesome, too! and if you wanted a bimini, they sell all of the parts separately, so you could figure out a way to rig it to your tower. i wonder if you could get the tubes of a bimini powder coated black?
hmmmm.
who needs a mortgage when you have a boat!?!?
nates78ski View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2005 at 9:42pm
My naugtique hanges in a boathouse. What I meant is that you cannot leave the hull in the water for days(more than 1 or 2) with out water effecting the paint. As for that boot stripe PPG Concept or a similar automotive paint will work fine and you can match any color. In the real world Awl-grip and PPG, Dupont 2 stage non clear-coat finishes are the same basic products. The Awl-grip take longer to cure and seems to remain slight softer over the long run. I've used both on boats and they all work great.
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

<a href="http://photobucket.com/Nates78ski" rel="nofoll
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic