Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Carburetor Wedge Plate

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
SierraJB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SierraJB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2005 at 7:31pm
I see. That's not the setup you want NOW for your 79, is it?
emitchum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emitchum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2005 at 7:39pm
no, not really. this plate discussion had me really out there. i thought i may have to go home, jerk the plate off and monkey with my floats although it runs great like it is. the 61 was a cool boat but the side drafts and y block ford was a bear to find stuff for in the pre-internet days. the bb chevy is pretty mainstream
1979 Barefoot/454
captan1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captan1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2005 at 8:16pm
I'll see if I can duck in and out before anyone knows I'm here..

Something to consider about installing a wedge plate if your setup is without and you want to add one.

The wedge plate will raise the carb, I had to go to a thin flame arrestor to close the engine cover, no big deal. And that was with a Weiand aluminum intake, also I had to remove the PCV spacer plate that was OEM under the carb. Now to keep the PCV function installed because ( here goes ) I believe the carb is jetted to compensate for the air that bleeds in to the air mixture from the PCV and I didn't want that to change.

What I ended up doing to keep the PCV going was drill a 1/2 hole through the back side of the wedge plate right in the center deep enough to go through the divider part of the secondary holes on the wedge plate, tap threads so I could screw in a brass nipple for the PCV hose.

skyhawkflyer View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyhawkflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2005 at 2:07am
You want to keep that pcv going, it ventilates the crankcase, keeping moisture and fuel fumes out so the don't contaminate the oil. A wedge plate most likely will cause some clearance issues with the cowling, something to consider.
I hope I didn't step on too many toes out there, but there are some issues that needed to come out. When I read a post about someone who put a new carburator on their engine and it won't perform or stumbles the first thing I think of is: whats your setup and have you dialed it in for your setup. Jetting is most likely correct, but when you tilt a carburator 15 degrees or so everything inside changes. Running a wedge plate is any easy and practicle solution, and maybe someday I might even consider buying one. Set you floats level (not slightly up or slightly down) and you should be good to go. There should be plenty of fuel in the bowls so that when the bow comes up under acceleration it won't stumble. Pick what works for you, there is no correct answer to this situation. As I stated earlier, given the choice, I'd rather have fuel injection! Cheers
captan1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captan1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2005 at 2:19am
Ah but yes, I forget that function and a very important one. I wonder if it's even more important to ventilate an engine in marine use.
SS 201 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SS 201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2005 at 7:40am
Drill size 7/16, and the wedge platea were on chrysler engines.
SierraJB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SierraJB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2005 at 1:24pm
Good points to consider, without a doubt. Obviously things DO change (height, levels, etc.) when you add or take away a wedge plate. I believe everyone's conclusions make crystal clear sense to me. THANKS!

BTW, older Chrysler engines DID have wedge plates (usually). However, I have seen Ford 351s with Holley 4160s that had a wedge. Not too clear if the factory did that or the owner. Nontheless...no probs. In fact, the wedge had helped in that particular application.

Keep those thinking caps on, men! It's all about being the best you can be on the H2O.
SierraJB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SierraJB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2005 at 1:12pm
Just installed the NEW carb from Michigan Motorz (tell them JB sent you!). Thought you all might like to know the results I got with the new carb and new wedge plate. Made no adjustments to the carb, except for setting the initial air supplies and idle. The first test was with the NEW CARB ONLY, NO WEDGE PLATE, followed by a second test with the NEW CARB AND THE WEDGE PLATE. Here's the basic, non-technical results:

1. NO WEDGE: Max RPMS = 4200; Max MPH = 38

2. WITH WEDGE: Max RPS = 4300; Max MPH = 38
****Had no issues with height restraints.

Not much difference in rpms or top speed. HOWEVER, I must say the holeshot was noticably improved with the wedge! Though top-end showed no difference to speak of, GETTING THERE DID! So, in short, I'm keeping the $45 investment from Glen-L.

Again, the wedge plate made a satisfactory improvement for MY BOAT, but it may not for yours. Should you decide to buy from Glen-L, be advised there are no instructions supplied with the 12 degree wedge plate and bag of bolts/nuts. I had to call them to talk to "BOB", the maker of this wedge, for clear instructions. It doesn't install like you would think. For instance, Bob instructed me to install the two longer studs in the manifold, then "bend" them to match the angle of the wedge plate. I was a bit hesitant to install anything that required my bending the bolts...but he insisted, and he was right. Gotta match the angle to get a good seal.

Well, enough discussing the wedge plate. The lake's callin'.............
emitchum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emitchum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2005 at 2:44am
wedge plate??
1979 Barefoot/454
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic