Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

thermostat for 78 commander engine

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
momanmo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote momanmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: thermostat for 78 commander engine
    Posted: June-01-2005 at 2:48pm
i have a 1978 correctcraft ski tique which we re built the engine last winter and early spring,replaced the head gasket and had the head milled.... because of a heating problem..problem generally solved but put a regular thermostat (195 degree) in it... i was told recently that it should not have that high thermostat in it...it has a 1978 ford commander engine (302)..could you please tell me where i can get a marine thermostat that is normally used in this model engine

momanmo
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2005 at 4:58pm
I bought my last one at NAPA, a 140 degree. Using a 195 would cause 2 problems, one a better chance for explosion when restarting and the other would be thermo shock, 70 to 80 degree water entering a block that hot.
Tim D
AWhite70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AWhite70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2005 at 6:14pm
OEM thermostat would have been 143 degrees I believe, but I think 160 is now being recommended.

I replaced the thermostat after purchasing my '79 a couple years ago and SkiDIM recommended 160. I put it in and the boat runs between 160-175 and never has problems.

I think 195 is too hot for numerous reasons. First being the thermal shock issue, although the circulation pump does recirculate a portion of the hot water with cold water from the raw water pump to reduce the temperature differential across the engine you will still have significantly cooler water entering the engine.

Second being boiling and corrosion. A boat does not run a pressurized cooling system like a car nor does it run antifreeze. Without system pressure and the anti-boiling properties of glycol the lake water in your heads will boil at the standard 212 degrees. If you're running a 195 thermostat you can guarantee you will be boiling water in your cylinder heads above the fire deck. Boiling will reduce flow through the heads and will increase metal temperatures and lead to problems. Additionally the higher the water temperature the faster the corrosion of your block and heads.
momanmo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote momanmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2005 at 6:58pm
thank you very much i will get that
temp thermostat....

momanmo
mackwrench View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mackwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2005 at 8:01pm
Be careful of "automotive: type t-stats, spend a few x-tra $ and get a marine stainless one
NO LONGER A MEMBER
momanmo View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote momanmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2005 at 9:38pm
many thanks to all for the advice... i have got a marine thermostat...and will install in the morning...once again thanks
momanmo
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic