Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rot on my 84

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
merbesfield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merbesfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rot on my 84
    Posted: May-31-2010 at 10:22pm
I know there is lot of info here, but trying to find the exact answers can be tough. My '84 2001 is new to me and I am sure it has seen plenty of water over the years. This weekend was the first real trip out with the kids pulling a tube. While cleaning the bilge I noticed that there is a rotted piece of wood that is under the transmission mount and runs left to right. I have not noticed it before bc it was actually completely gone on the port side, just a rusty nail sticking out. So how bad it this? The area under the seat is also rotted bc the screws for the seat will not hold. So am I screwed or what? I don't know how to go about checking for rot. The bolts that hold the aluminum engine bracket are tight and not stripped. Thanks
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2010 at 10:52pm
Try to post some photos. You're not screwed. The worst case scenario is you have to put a floor and stringers in the boat. I little daunting, but lots of people with no experience have made it through.

Again, post a couple pictures so we can see what you've got. I think it's probably obvious that you'd like to use the boat through the summer and worry about the floors and stringers in winter.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2010 at 10:58pm
Poke around with a screwdriver in the sides of the main stringers- between the motor mounts that the motor sits on. Anywhere else you can get too. When it's in the water, nothing extra in the boat, look how it drafts-- where the water-line is--how far the water is above it. Look at both sides. Yeah ,you probably have rot in there. Either bank on doing it yourself,look for another boat, or do some trading with someone.
66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
merbesfield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merbesfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2010 at 11:44pm
I will have to take some pics next trip. This it the only pic I have. Yes, I will not do any repairs this summer. I was going to do a temp fix with some 1/2" pressure treated plywood under the captains chair to get me by for the summer. Then figure out how bad it is. I am capable of doing the repair, but with two auto restorations going at one time it is not likely I would ever finish the repairs. So I would need to pay for it to be fixed or trade it.
hasbeenskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2010 at 9:19pm
I have an 84 also... Your foam is likely wet and outboard stringers rotten. (In my view)...the good news is the aluminum engine cradle will probably hold the engine and transmission in place until you are ready to address the rot issues. Go skiin'
bj
hasbeenskier
skicat2001 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2010 at 2:27am
[QUOTE=MartyMabe] When it's in the water, nothing extra in the boat, look how it drafts-- where the water-line is--how far the water is above it.

Hey Marty,
I read many posts on stringers and have seen many repairs on here. I have a curious ?

When my boat floats in the water, it is an inch or so below the bottom line and would say the platform is out of the water when sitting in water. I have looked and gandered at stringers and such, but can not find any rott, but as you said the water line. Where is the proper water line and where is not suppose to be? Anyone know..   
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2010 at 10:15am
My 80 listed hard to port b/c of the water in the foam and rotten stringers.
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic