Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

repowering an am.skier

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
fstss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fstss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: repowering an am.skier
    Posted: May-31-2005 at 2:35pm
my 273 is a rusted mess any small block mopar
work or not? how can u tell if its reverse rotation ? its a 71 american skier
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2005 at 6:25pm
By looking at the prop or if the starter will turn the engine over, look at the pulleys. If the pulleys rotate counterclockwise from the front it is reverse.
Tim D
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2005 at 7:03pm
Ray, your engine is most likely a reverse rotation engine. If you can take a pic of your prop and post it people on this forum can tell you if it is reverse (right hand) rotation. A local prop shop can also tell you. You engine may be "standard" rotation but I doubt it.

If your engine is a reverse rotation engine any small block Mopar will probably not work. Also, marine engines use special designed distributors, starters, carburators, and of course exhaust manifolds. Electrical wiring should be all tinned copper.

Unless the engine has been submerged in salt water or the block is cracked, it is probably not as bad as it looks. You can throw away all of the bolts and replace them with inexpensive stainless steel by buying complete stainless bolt kits online from Summit Racing. Brackets can be sandblasted, repaired, and painted. The heads and block can probably be dipped, cleaned, and reworked at a local shop. That old of a boat would probably be due for all new electrical systems no matter what the condition of all of the hardware. Have the starter rebuilt, NOT EXCHANGED, but rebuilt at a local shop. There are differences between marine starters and automobile starters. And, you will need a reverse rotation starter anyway. Alternators can be found in salvage yards also.

Replace the carb with a fresh 450CFM Holley 4v and the manifold with a Edlebrock Performer and you're in business.

Check to see if all of the seals are available (special shaft seals are required for a reverse rotation engine).

It sounds like a lot of work but I really think it is your cheapest and most practical route.

Change to any other make of engine and you will be into moving motor mounts in the stringers and having to properly locate the new engine. I think the whole balance of the boat could be changed. Others here will know a lot more than me about such things.
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2005 at 6:44pm
Jim:

Good advice. One comment/correction: alternators are marine specific (safe) also and he should have his rebuilt along with the starter or a new/rebuilt, internal regulator, marine alternator purchased.

Engine blocks are NOT marine specific whether left or right hand rotation. However, many of the parts are including the crankshaft.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2005 at 10:36pm
Good point David. I am a little envious of Ray. I built a 273 in a '66 Plymouth Baracuda and I became rather fond of that engine. It's a well built engine that can crank out close to 300HP with just a few bolt-ons. It only weighs 50 pounds more than the old Chrysler slant six. A lot of performance (auto) parts are available for it. I don't know about marine parts availability though. That could be a little tough. I hope Ray decides to keep it. Ray???? Keep it!
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2005 at 11:30am
Ray,
By all means, I agree with others in that you should keep it. At least two of us on the site have strong running 273's in 1970 Mustangs, and this was probably the least commonly used engine in older CC's. Parts ARE available and just yesterday, I picked up a good set of 273 heads off ebay. The same guy has an extra block and crank. I'm a Ford guy at heart, but this engine will surprise anyone. Entire rebuild kits are available, as are original style exhaust manifolds and such. As for the intake, proceed cautiously, as we found that an automotive intake will indeed need to be modified in order to continue the unique water flow that this two-impeller water pump engine utilizes, but it can be done. Look at Marshall Morgan's 1970 light blue Mustang and THAT 273, with a vintage Edelbrock intake.
Rotation? Assuming no one's changed it, the I.D. tag on the bellhousing will have an "R" in the series for right (reverse) or "L" for left (standard) rotation. This is explained in the Chrysler engine manual in the reference section. Also, I've got a complete 273 Operating and Service Manual I'd be glad to copy and send you. We'd be glad to help you out if need be. Good luck.
Reid
704-451-5080
ReidP
1973 Mustang

bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2005 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by Jim_In_Houston Jim_In_Houston wrote:

I built a 273 in a '66 Plymouth Baracuda and I became rather fond of that engine.

First car was a '64 Barracuda with a 273
and the push button transmission. Purchased when I was 15 for $125, dents in every panel, 3 or 4 different colors, and running on 4 of 8 cyclinders. By the time I took my drivers
test on the 16th birdthday, that things was
showroom. Put almost 100K on it before I sold
it five years later. Man I wish I still had
that car.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2005 at 2:06pm
Yeh, I miss my '66 Baracuda too. What great car that was.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic