Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Boat Is On The Way

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
kgood120 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kgood120 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Boat Is On The Way
    Posted: May-13-2010 at 9:24pm
I did it! I wired money for my new boat! My 2001 sport nautique will arrive early next week. I have a million questions since its my first nautique and direct drive. I'm putting my sea ray I/O up for sale.

Whats the best stuff to refinish a teak platform?

Who makes a good sunbrella custom cover for decent money?

I want to add an extended pylon. The existing pylon is higher than slalom height. Will the aftermarket pylon slip over the longer nautique pylon? Does the existing pylon unscrew or how is it attached?

Any first launch and drive tips. I want to dump it in the water and ski from the ramp...I can't wait!
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2010 at 9:36pm
1. Teak Oil

2. If you have a tower then towerbimini.com if not try Bart's or Overtons, but try to get the stainless hardware.

3. Extended pylon will slide over the pylon, so no need to remove yours.

4. How well do you know the boat and or the PO? Has the boat been maintained. Check fluids for sure and keep an eye on the gauges.

5. Congrats! Enjoy it!
...those who have fallen and those who will.
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2010 at 9:37pm
Aftermarket pylon does slip over the top of the existing. Has a bow strap that goes under the nose and tensions to take some torque off the pole. They install and remove quikly after the first set up. They are frequently avalable on this sit, craigslist and ebay. I paid $175 for my stainless fly high.
Don't get to excited first trip out. Check and double check everything at each step of the trip so it will not give you bad memories. Read posts here about bad things that can happen.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2010 at 9:47pm

Teak platform - Depends upon how bad it is. Usually a cleaner is required before teak oil. In worst cases, light sanding may be required.

Extended pylon might fit. Typically the extended pylons have a ring about 3 feet up the pylon to attach a line for water skiing. If your extended pylon has this, then either a) you will need to remove it, or b) your extended pylon may sit very high in the air.

Sunbrella cover is not going to be cheap. I did find a closeout Sunbrella cover for our neighbors 98 by doing searches on the internet.

Make sure the plug is in the boat. It's located under the engine hatch, probably at the front. It should be a brass T handle and screws into the bottom of the hull.

It's a good idea to check the hoses and fluids before you launch. Don't be in such a hurry to launch the boat that you forget to put in whatever lifejackets, fire extinguishers, etc. are required in your state. Wouldn't want a ticket on your first run.

Be very careful when you come into the dock. The inboard will not steer like your I/O around the dock. You'll get used to it. But, if you come in too fast before you know what you are doing, that could be a bad thing.

Congratulations and let's see some pics.

BKH

Livin' the Dream

anthonylizardi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2010 at 10:40pm
Keep in mine if you are using an extended pole you won't be using your bimini unless you fit a hole on it or just don't put the bimini when you have the pole.
harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2010 at 10:53pm
Use the bow eye and the strap for the fly high. Some have just attached to the lifting ring and stress crscked their deck. Looks hokey but it is desgined that way for a reason.
kgood120 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kgood120 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2010 at 12:09am
Thanks for the tips. I have another dumb question. I may be able to slip this rig in a garage but the factory pylon (52 inches?) may be too high. Can it be removed after each use? Or, is it fixed through the hull somehow?
The GT40 motor as 135 hours...It looks like its been well maintained. I'll check everything and cross my fingers.
kgood120 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kgood120 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2010 at 12:10am
Oh, and can I run regular unleaded in the GT40 motor?
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2010 at 12:13am
its bolted fixed to the engine alum frame..not an easy tsk to remove after each use..its quite unaccesable
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2010 at 12:18am
Your factory pylon is 52"????

Yes you can use unleaded, but if you can use nonethanol fuel, that would be better.
...those who have fallen and those who will.
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2010 at 1:02am
I'd wait till you get the boat and figure out the height. I would very surprised if it does not fit in an 8 foot garage, and it might fit in a 7 foot garage. BKH
Livin' the Dream

nautiquechick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiquechick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2010 at 1:36am
congratulations and enjoy!!!!!
nautiquechick
Okie Boarder View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2010 at 7:52pm
Congrats...looks like you got your questions answered. Be sure to post pics!
kgood120 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kgood120 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2010 at 11:08pm
Bummer.....transport guys truck is broken down in Oklahoma.....gonna be next week maybe
Okie Boarder View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2010 at 1:55pm
You want me to get it from him and bring it to ya? ;-)
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2010 at 10:54am
The Extended pylon assemblies & disassembles in a only few minutes. I leave the bow strap in place trapped under the bow stop when trailering. We rig the pylon at the boat ramp when we are waiting our turn to launch. The Pylon has 2 sections of pipe - once I had taken the top section off but left the lower - Forgot the status & later started to push the boat into the garage - caught the light fixture on the garage overhang    So don't do that!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic