Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Boat not running good? HELP

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Jason View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boat not running good? HELP
    Posted: May-25-2005 at 1:54am
I had my mechanic install electronic ignition in my boat about a month ago. I could have probably done it myself, but he is a nice guy and could use the work.

Anyways, to jump back a little, when I winterized the boat I used anti fouling oil.

I hooked the boat up to the hose, and it idles great. I didnt want to rev it up too much, because I am afraid I would starve engine for water.

So I took the boat to the lake and it started righted up, but ran like crap. When I accelerate it backfired. At first it wasnt that bad, but it got progressively worst. I only drove it for about 5 minutes, it would idle fine but any acceleration it would backfire. At full acceleration it coughed up to about 35 and had nothing left.

I took out the spark plugs when I got home, and they were real black and didnt look to good.

My question is. Do you think the spark plugs could have caused the terrible backfiring and performance? (after getting used with antifouling oil) Or after you change electronic ignition, do you need to adjust the timing? It ran fine at the end of last season. Sorry this is kinda long, but I really want to get it running good by the weekend for the lake.
gordonw View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gordonw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2005 at 2:50am
Yes, change the plugs. Did you put in a new distributer or just the ignition module? You will have to time it again either way. Since the engine has been coughing through the carb you will need to replace the power valve in the carb also. Located on the interior side of the primary meatering block. A cheap fix. Also you may want to open the gap on the plugs to 35 to 40. I have mine at 35. Sounds like your timing is off. Check the fire order also if you changed the cap or the plug wires. The order will be on the valve cover or refer to the past posts. I'm guessing that you have a ford 351 with a lt hand rotation. The rotor will turn counter clockwise. Rotate the engine around so it's firing on tdc #1. To find this pull the #1 plug out and you will feel the air push on your finger. That will be your #1 plug wire on the cap and then go left from their. Check the springs in the base of the distributer also. Could of unhooked one in the process of the ignition. If you have the pertronix check the notes on the balast resistor and coil. I have the mallory ylm554cv with a mallory 3440 epoxy coil. It will run good, just work out the kinks. Work from the known to the unknown. Happy motoring!
Jason View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2005 at 4:07am
It actually has the Chevrolet 350 in it. The mechanic just installed the electronic ignition.

So, it does need to be timed after installing electronic ignition???

I will replace the plugs, but I dont have a timing light, so I will have to take it back to the mechanic.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2005 at 12:45pm
Jason:

Timing lights are dirt cheap. Go to the auto parts store and pick one up for under $30.00.
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2005 at 5:29pm
My experience was you need to adjust the timming after installing EI.
Jason View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2005 at 7:03pm
The mechanic said he adjusted the timing after the electronic igntion install. He adjusted with a timing light at idle.

He said he was 99% sure the plugs where bad after I told him how it acted. He also said I could turn the distrbutor, one notch to the left if still not running perfect.

Does turning it to the left advance it or, or just the opposite.

Also just to make sure I got the plug wires in the correct order, is the distrubutor marked in anyway? The intake manifold, is marked with numbers write above the cylinders.

thanks

thanks
billgatesceo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billgatesceo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2005 at 7:27pm
Turning it counter-clockwise(left) should advance the timing on a chevy (rotor turns opposite of a ford). Thus taking it a shorter time for the rotor to come around and line up with the contact on the distributor. Someone here chime in if I'm not correct.

The firing order should be on the model tag on the back of the engine. I always plug all the wires onto the plugs themselves, and starting from the #1 plug (start of my firing order), I begin from there. The first firing plug should go on the distributor cap on the post pointing directly towards the back of the boat. Work your way around the cap in the direction of the rotor turning until all wires are hooked up. THIS COULD ALL BE WRONG IF THE #1 SPOT ON THE ROTOR IS DIFFERENT ON A CHEVY...but the same principle applies. Just need to know where the #1 spot is, direction of rotor, and firing order.
Jason View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2005 at 4:07pm
I put some new plugs in her, and ran it on the hose last night. It purred like a kitten at idle (as it did before),and I carefully brought her up to 3000 for a just a few secs and she sounded great, no sputtering or backfiring up any kind.

I am going to lake test her tonight and cross my fingers.

Thanks for advice
Jason View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2005 at 4:37am
UPDATE
Not out of the woods yet.

Why it runs and idles good, if the boat is accelerate rapidly, shoots back through the carb. So I think it rules out the timing, because it runs strong, but just not if you hammer it.

Do you think I have some bad gas? I put a lot of stabil in the gas as the end of the season. Could there be water in the gas?

Could the electronic ignition still be the culprit.

Again, it only happens when you throw down the throttle fast. I open the engine cover and reved it up fast, and it "popped" back through the carb. But, once at speed it runs strong.

Or could the carb be clogged up?

Thanks
Jason
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2005 at 9:25am
Originally posted by Jason Jason wrote:

UPDATE
So I think it rules out the timing, because it runs strong, but just not if you hammer it.

Uhm, nope. Timing. If your accel pump is in good working order and has no delay, timing is highly suspect.

<darth voice on> I find your faith in your mechanic disturbing <darth voice off>
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2005 at 1:30pm
Sounds like a timing problem to me. I had a similar problem. Advaning the timing a couple of degrees cured it.
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
Jason View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2005 at 4:51pm
Thanks for your help, it makes sense that would be the problem after thinking about it. I am going to advance it a notch and test her out.

Jason
ultrahots View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrahots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2005 at 12:55am
Does the boat start hard ? This would also be a cause of timing beeing to far advanced.

If it pops out of the carb the timing is too far advanced.If i am correct firing order on a SB chevy is 18436572 counter clockwise.I would check the firing order just to be safe but if it idles correctly you should be fine.As others above stated a timing light that would work should be $20 to $30.You can time it yourself.It is really simple.There will be a + and - to connect to the battery,and a clip for the #1 plug wire (left front of motor).Your timing should be 10 degrees before top dead.there will be a mark labeled 10 by the balancer on the front of the motor.I think you will find you are at 20 or better with it popping.

good luck and keep us posted.

Terry
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2005 at 12:29pm
Originally posted by ultrahots ultrahots wrote:

Does the boat start hard ? This would also be a cause of timing beeing to far advanced.

I concur entirely

Originally posted by ultrahots ultrahots wrote:

If it pops out of the carb the timing is too far advanced.

Nope, retarded. Perhaps when grossly advanced. I know its counter-intuitive, but that popping is sysmtom of being not quite bTDC enough. Its quite repeatable
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Jason View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2005 at 3:07am
How much do I need to turn the distrubutor. I know the system works on degrees, but is the entire distrubutor considered 360 degrees. Is that correct?

So advancing 1 degree would be a very small move. Correct?

Thanks
Jason
Jason View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2005 at 3:08am
Also do you just turn the distrubutor, or do you lift up and turn?

Sorry,
Jason
billgatesceo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billgatesceo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2005 at 3:46am
Hey Gotta Ski...I had always heard or atleast explained to me that backfiring out of the carb would be a symtom caused by having the timing too advanced. What I thought backfiring is from is when the intake valves aren't fully closed when combustion occurs, thus causing the fire to come out the intake to the carb. this makes sense since it is the only path from the cylinder to the carb. If that is the case the the plug is firing too soon and thus needs to be retarded slightly to make sure that the intake valve is closed before combustion occurs. Please correct me if I am wrong, so that I don't pass along bunk information.

Jason...cant help you on the distributor turning, I didn't have to turn mine. I always thought that all you had to do is slightly loosen the screw and rotate by hand. Also, don't power time (ie adjust timing higher than idle speed) without the disty being locked down.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2005 at 3:54am
Jason, I apologize if I am about to tell you what you may already know, don't be insulted. I am going to try to answer your question the best I can.

The distributor rotor makes one complete revolution for every two revolutons of the crankshaft. Therefore one complete rotation of the distributor would represent 720 degress of crankshaft rotation. If your distributor were positioned to fire the spark plug when the piston reached the exact top of the cylinder following the compression stroke, the ignition timing would be said to set at zero degrees or more commmonly, "Top Dead Center". Since fuel takes time to burn engines perform best if the fuel is ignited slightly before the piston reaches top dead center or "BTDC". Typical timing specs call for the spark plug to fire 6 to 10 crankshaft degrees BTDC during engine idle. Since the distributor spins half the speed of the crankshaft one degree of distributor movement will represent two degrees of crankshaft rotation.

Yes, 1 degree of timing change will be a very small movement of the distributor. You do not have to lift and turn, just turn. The adjustment is so sensitive that just tightening down the distributor clamp can change the setting.

You will see friendly arguments on this forum about setting your timing by "ear" versus using a timing light. My advise is to buy a cheap timing light, set your timing to spec (probably somewhere between 6 to 10 degrees BTDC - someone on this forum will know the spec for your engine), and recheck it after you tighten down the distributor clamp.

I hope this helps.

By the way, you can remove your distributor cap, bump your engine and see which way the distributor rotor turns. If you adjust your distributor by turning it in the opposite direction of that rotation you will be advancing your timing.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2005 at 4:18am
Follow up for Jason: a few more thoughts.
Your engine may perform best with the timing set at some value slightly different than factory spec. My engine runs well at 14 degress of initial timing (BTDC at idle). Factors that determine this include the weather, your altitude, and the type of fuel you use. (And maybe even the brand of beer you drink.) If you use a timing light you will have a reference available from which you can experiment and dial in your best performance timing. (And it's fun to tinker with.)
Jason View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2005 at 4:44am
Appreciate the fast advice, I know the basics of an engine, but not a lot of the finer points.

But, I am learning. Sounds like I need a timing light.

Thank you,
Jason
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2005 at 11:40am
Hi Bill,

Popping through the carb upon acceleration is certainly retarded ignition, assuming the carb is not producing a lean condition.

The scenario you described is unlikely to be on an engine in an already running condition, because there would be no compression when the ignition is firing if the intake valve was indeed open. AN engine like that would want to run backwards. We are talking about a engine that can already idle, runs somewhat labored, until you load it suddenly, pops out the carb and falls on its face; not one that can't even idle. Jason's descriptions suggest the former.

Factory-fresh boats were sometimes delivered to my employer that popped upon accel. After confirming the accel pump had no slop, a 1-2 degree bump in timing eliminated these pops and flat acceleration.

I just worked on our FD's old international, it would pop like bastid, call flat on its face, run like azz, but could run if you were gentle on the throttle - no sudden acceleration-(great on a fire truck)--timing was 5 ATDC insterad of 5 BTDC (without the vac advance), 10 degrees retarded - advanced to spec, now it runs like a champ.

hope that clarifies my thoughts on the subject, wish you best

River Rat to Mole
Jason View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2005 at 8:24pm
Hate to revive this thread, but still not fixed. I advanced the timing and while that certainly helped, (backfiring wasnt as bad), it still backfires under hard acceleration.

Someone said the "power valve", could that be causing my problems? I never did replace it after taking it to the lake and having it backfire pretty bad. Where is it on the carb? How hard to replace?

thanks
Jason
ultrahots View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrahots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2005 at 9:53pm
Pretty easy on a Holley carb.First you have to run the carb out of gas or put rags in front of it so fuel does not leak onto the rest of the motor and down into the motor box.First you must disconnect the fuel line,make sure to have a large wrench to hold the inlet while you use a second wrench on the smaller fuel line fitting. Next there will be 4 screws on the front of the carb facing forward.Usually are regular screw bit style.Unscrew those and the float bowwl can come off.Most of the times you will need to tsp it with a screwdriver or if it has not been apart in a long time very carefully pry it off.Once the float bowl is off the next piece back is the metering block.This will pry off as well.On the back side you will find a large nut.This is the power valve.Take a large adjustable wrench and loosen it.Do not forget to remove the power valve gasket and replace it as well.You can simply go down to the parts store (performance shop) and get a replacement.You will find stamped on it a number (usually 5.5) this will be the Holley number you need.Now available is a synthetic (bright blue) gasket.You will need the metering block as well as the float bowl gaskets.Take the bowl and plate with you to get the correct gaskets( if you goto a good hot rod shop you will not need to do this).If you need any help e mail me and i can call you and talk you thu it.The one thing that i see as a problem is loading up is the usual result of a bad power valve not popping.
Jason View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2005 at 1:27am
PROBLEM SOLVED

First of all thanks for all the help. Problem turned out to be a simple one, two of the wires on the distributor where switched. I looked at the manual on this site and got the correct firing order. So it ran "ok", but will terribly backfire under fast acceleration.

So after pulling my hair out, it was an easy fix.
thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic