NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Correct Thermostat for 78 Nautique

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Tom_Madison View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom_Madison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Correct Thermostat for 78 Nautique
    Posted: April-25-2010 at 9:50pm
I just got the boat a year ago, and the engine never seemed to get up to temp - it stayed at the bottom. (I thought the guage may have been busted.) When I winterized the boat I had to chisel the thermostat out - it was rusted open, replacing it with a 170 degree one. The motor is a Chevy 350 with about 470 hours on it. I just noticed a comment from the previous owner that he had used a 142 degree thermostat. Am I right to use the 170 thermostat?
hotboat View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2010 at 11:12pm
I have a 170 in mine but you will get some mixed emotions.
Brian
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom_Madison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2010 at 11:18pm
The answer is: 142 degrees.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2010 at 11:21am
Originally posted by hotboat hotboat wrote:

so you know more than the designers of the engine do then?

the engine builder and designer spec'd and installed a 143 degree t-stat from the factory for some odd reason? But guess you know more then they do.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom_Madison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2010 at 4:33pm
I know nothing about engine thermostats. What I did was to check with the most experienced inboard repair place in Madison, Wi, and they right away mentioned the 143. The previous owner was adamant about the 143. And I went on the web and found this article http://www.hiperformer.com/chevy350/marine_engine.html, and another article (actually someone had created a pdf) that had tech specs from that era 350's, and it indicated they were shipped with the 143. So, despite 143 seeming to be wrong in general for chevy 350 engines, that is what I went with.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2010 at 4:44pm
BTW Tom_Madison I wasn't refering to you,

But I do find it odd that you have a Chevy motor in your 78 SN, does it also spin a left handed prop too?
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom_Madison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2010 at 5:01pm
No, it is a right hand prop. The previous owner showed me how the engine stringers had to be cut down about 3/4 of an inch to accomodate the chevy engine. I understand that very few of these were made. So that makes the boat a valuable collector's item?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2010 at 5:03pm
if it was factory engine which I doubt, but regardless it is what it is.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2010 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

But I do find it odd that you have a Chevy motor in your 78 SN, does it also spin a left handed prop too?

Chris,
It's called a OMC marinization! It was the premium optional engine. Yes, some people will pay more for the Chev!! In fact, Tom's engine was discussed back in 08. Your memory is going!!

BTW, it is a RR.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2010 at 3:41pm
Originally posted by hotboat hotboat wrote:

Hence your screen name ?    
Mike N

1968 Mustang

hotboat View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2010 at 6:46pm
lol on the name, maybe Chris should change his to hothead
My motor is slightly different than it started out as well but thanks for noticing. It also helps warm the lake up
Brian
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic