Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Electronic Ignition

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
DDSUPPLY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DDSUPPLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Electronic Ignition
    Posted: April-17-2010 at 10:44am
   Can I convert my chrysler LM318 to electronic ignition? Would this be a good move and where can you get a kit for that?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2010 at 6:10pm
Doug,
I just did a on line search and found lots sites you can take a look at. this one was the first and it does have a conversion There are several brands out there and some are good while others are a problem. Someone I'm sure will comment. I'm not a real big fan of the conversions. Boats have run on a point set for years and they continue to work. I know of plenty Chrysler's out there that are running great on them. Charlie, when was the last tune up you did to your Cuda? I just did a tune up on one of my boats after 28 years of running without a problem. In fact, it was running fine but I thought with that many years it was time for one!! You will not see any performance gains. If you have a problem with starting that's ignition related, then the conversion may help. If you want a electronic ignition, then I suggest the complete distributor.

Are you having a problem?

BTW, if I remember correctly, it's the Pertronix Igniter conversions that are problematic.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
DDSUPPLY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DDSUPPLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2010 at 11:28pm
Yes, I had it out first time, it ran great for about 30-45 min. then ran ruff, would not idle.kinda sounded like I lost a cylinder. I did not spent any time on it that nite. Maybe just plugs,points,cap,wires.coil?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2010 at 11:39pm
Doug,
OK, so it's the same issue as in your other thread. Start with a basic tune up and see what happens. However, I wouldn't rule out a fuel problem ether even though you put new gas in it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2010 at 12:59am
If your Chrysler has an inline fuel filter between the fuel pump and carb, this could be the problem.

AT

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic