Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

need new impeller

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Britt View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Britt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: need new impeller
    Posted: May-23-2005 at 3:32am
need a new impeller for my '93 ski. its a sherwood pump, and overtons has two impeller. no local nautique to talk to. the old impeller only has the numer 4 on it. So does any one know what impeller to get from overtons? The sherwood #s are #9959 and #10615
Thanks
Britt
goski73 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goski73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2005 at 10:49am
Go to the links page here on this site and use Ski Dim. You get a discount and they have what you need. It is easy to find the part and if you have trouble you can contact them. Discount Inboard Marine.
brittcrowell View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brittcrowell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2005 at 2:39pm
Thanks! Will do that. Nice that there is a cool forum out here.
Britt
tommer12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommer12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2005 at 4:54am
I just got one from SkiDim, they are awesome.. that sherwood pump is a piece of crap. Take note when you take it off which way it is facing. If you put it back on backwards, no water...

Use a little grease on your finger and wipe it around the pump before you put the impeller in.. helps alot!

I notice I mine pump (second owner) that the bottom bolt must have been loose.. It had been loose for some time (pivot bolt) threads were gone. I ended up drilling it out, retapping it with a slightly larger bolt, and all is good. I think I posted this info in another thread.

92, SNOB
cheers!
tc
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2005 at 11:51am
I used grease on mine too and then I read petroleum based grease may damage the impeller rubber - use dish soap for lube. Someone let me know if I am incorrect.
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
tommer12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommer12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2005 at 2:53pm
Wheel bearing grease is fine. Certain Dish soap actually has a chemical in it that will break down the rubber also if left on too long. Same goes for waterski or wakeboard binding. Soap drys out the rubber and breaks it down. Back in my hayday, I was a marine mechanic for a couple summers and all the guys always used a little grease to put in the pump to slide it in and out.

gotta love the forums...

92' SNOB
nates78ski View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2005 at 12:18am
silicone spray is the best for installation. It will not damage the impeller, dish soap is good, but do not use anyting petro base.
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

<a href="http://photobucket.com/Nates78ski" rel="nofoll
Tonali_III View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonali_III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2005 at 2:05am
Britt,

If you are still stuck try the sherwood pump site. Or you can call Woody at Correct Craft Southeast in Orlando. There isn't anything that he does not know about a Correct Craft! Also Sierra makes replacement impellers for the Sherwood pump. Don't let anyone fool you. The Sherwood pump is a reliable piece of machinery that with a little care will give you hours of enjoyment. Little hint: If you remove the impellers during your winterizing and put them on the shelf, they can last up to 5 seasons! Woody told me about that trick.
1974 Southwind 20
<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6752" rel="nofollow">1972 Mustan
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2005 at 12:52pm
I agree that grease/oil and rubber do not mix. Neoprene (I think I have that right...the stuff power steering and hydraulic hoses are made of) and grease/oil is fine. I have no idea what type of rubber the raw water impellars are made of...so to be on the safe side, I would keep grease off the impellar. If you insist on using grease, I suggest silicon based dielectric grease. Everyone should have some on hand to keep the boats electrical connections in tip-top shape.
Tonali_III View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonali_III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2005 at 2:00pm
Britt,

According to my friends at Extreme Powersports, under absolutely NO CIRCUMSTANCES use any kind of petroleum product on impellers! Dan suggests a decent liquid dish soap. I replaced mine yesterday using Pamolive. It worked just fine and my impellers are functioning normally.

Side note: Woody at the factory dealer in FL tells me if you remove the impellers during winter lay-up, they will last several seasons.
1974 Southwind 20
<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6752" rel="nofollow">1972 Mustan
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic