Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

buffer/polisher

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: buffer/polisher
    Posted: May-21-2005 at 2:08am
I bought a buffer/polisher from Walmart ($20). It has a 10" pad and says it turns at 3200 rpms. I haven't taken it out of the box. I was wondering if I should exchange it for an orbital sander.
I've got an old boat that has a lot of oxidation so I'm planning to spend a lot of time with the rubbing compound, then wax regularly.
Should I go for the orbital sander?
Thanks
kenny g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenny g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2005 at 10:35am
you need to use 600grit and wetsand by hand.
i would'nt try that with an electric orbital unless you really want a FRO !
for 20 bucks,try the buffer and compound,the trick is to keep the buffing pad clean.i always splash a "little bit"of water on the area b4 i work it with the buffer.again,keep that pad clean.if u dont have a cleaning spur,just lay the buffer on the floor,pull the triger and clean it with a screwdriver.practice on the bottem till u get the results u want.let us know how it turns out.
kenny g
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2005 at 1:20pm
Those $20 buffer are really only good for applying wax and polishing out. If you need to compound the boat, then use a 7" grinder/buffer with a good quality (rigid, not bonnet) lambswool pad.
Brian View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2005 at 1:01am
I once had a boat with a burgundy stripe with heavy oxidation. A local marina showed me their process to bring back the shine.

I have tried many different products over the years and the brand does make a difference, so if you try this i recommend buying the brands listed.

First, start with Napa Speedy White rubbing compound (bought from Napa auto stores). Rub this in by hand using moderate preasure until it dries to a white haze and remove with a electic buffer (I use a 7" grinder purchased at Sears for about $65.00 with a buffing pad).

Second, replace the buffing pad (use lambswool for both steps here) and apply McGuires boat / RV polish directly to the buffing pad and get to work! Apply the polish and keep going with the buffer until there is no trace of the polish left.

Third, apply McGuires pure wax for boats and RV's by hand and polish off with a new bonnet.

Once your boat is oxidized there is no permanent fix to bring back the shine. This process did hold the shine for about 2 months on a boat that was stored outside in the water (this part of the boat was not covered).

Good luck and prepare to have a sore arm!
Brian
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic