NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1979 Floor Removal *HELP*

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Farkum View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Farkum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1979 Floor Removal *HELP*
    Posted: May-19-2005 at 7:32am
Alright there is one other really good post on this site about removing the floatation foam from the boat. My problem is I know little to nothing about boat hulls and I am not 100% sure how to remove the flooring itself to get at the foam. I have a 1979 Ski Nautique. I removed all the brackets and what not on the floor, then I pulled all of the carpet out of the boat. Now I am left with a bare floor. This is where I am not sure what to do. Do I have to chisle all of the fiberglass covering the floor away in order to take out screws or can I cut along the edge of the floor adn pull it out? Are there screws in the floor or is it just held in with fiberglass?
1979 Ski Nautique
Will post pictures soon
Bill336 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill336 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2005 at 2:30pm
I cut along the front with a cut off wheel and used a small prybar to pull it up. The floor had separated from the hullsides most of the way down and I had to use the cut-off wheel where the floor met the stringers under the engine box. I pulled mine in three pieces - from the front of the engine box forward and each side. One warning - I cut mine at the base of where the foam is raised up at the bow and at the outside edges, the hull was directly under the floor and I ended up putting a 1-2" cut through the bottom of the boat. In retrospect, I would use a small cut off wheel on a dremel tool to cut near the edge there.

BTW - mine is a 78 American Skier, but I expect that the construction is similar.
Farkum View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Farkum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2005 at 11:17pm
alright I have started cutting out the floor. I thought that it would be a plywood floor under fiberglass but I found out its just fiberglass floor ontop of the foam. My question here is how do I replace it since I am not going to be putting the foam back in? I am guessing green treated plywood with resin covering the bottom and sides then fiberglassed on the top but not sure.
1979 Ski Nautique
Will post pictures soon
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic