Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1980 Fish Nautique with Twin Inboards

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
worththewake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote worththewake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1980 Fish Nautique with Twin Inboards
    Posted: March-22-2010 at 12:21am
Hello all. New to the forum - Certainly not new to boats (currently own 5 boats- 3 Boston Whalers - 1 Monterey and now the Fish Nautique). I just picked up what I think is a pretty rare Correct Craft Fish Nautique. She is a 1980 23 footer powered with twin V6 Crusaders. I have only seen reference to two other twin powered 23's - The brochure doesn't even seem to mention it as an option.

Anyway - she is a project boat - The motors are out and need to be rebuilt - Two bulkheads need replacing - and the rear floors are wet - Not spongy under foot but definitely do for some recoring by look alone.

I will be looking for some advice as I am completely new to inboards. All my boats have been either Outboard or Stern Drive.

Here are some pics...

QUEBEC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote QUEBEC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2010 at 1:09am
Hi and welcome, is this the boat from birck N.J I was talking with them a few weeks ago but the wife said no more toys for now. what did you end up paying. The boat looked pretty nice and rare with the twin engines. I guss there GM engines what size.Well good luck with your new toy.
NEVER EVER GIVE UP ON YOUR SELF YOUR FAMILY YOUR FRIENDS AND GOD THERE ALWAYS A NEW DAY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote worththewake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2010 at 9:19am
Yes its the boat from Brick - I picked it up for $1800- I am told the engines are GM - I am told they are 185 Crusaders with 1:1 velvet drives but don't hold me to it.

I was pleased with the buy - That trailer is actually aluminum. So I figure I only paid about $800 for the boat - I have to have that in parts on the pallet.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2010 at 10:12am
one should be a righty and one a lefty, more than once, the engines have been put on the wrong side, do some research on what goes where, a good guide is if the props are still in the boat insa=talled
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2010 at 10:13am
the props should spin outboard
connorssons View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2010 at 12:06pm
Cool project! keep us posted, always wanted a twin nautique. Im in the the market for a twin San Juan hardtop project no fly bridge.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote worththewake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2010 at 12:23pm
Thanks - It will be slow to start - I have two projects ahead of it to complete.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote worththewake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2010 at 12:24pm
Thanks for the advice Eric - I was a bit worried about which engine went to which side - they are lableled lh & rh
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2010 at 12:31pm
Scott,
Nice find, welcome to CCfan and good luck with the rebuild. Keep us informed, the pictures comming and if you need any help with problems that may come up, we've got plenty of people here.

Do dig into the stringer system more. I guarantee you'll find more that just a couples "bulkheads" in bad shape. I suggest a complete rebuild/new wood and not just a patch/scab job. Plenty of stringer info here on site.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote worththewake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2010 at 12:34pm
Thanks - I did do some reasearch and read about the stringers - I looked it over pretty good - Ran a pick inside of the drain holes through the stringers - They were pretty solid - but really wont know for sure until I pull the deck up - It will be done right - no shortcuts. Thats the way I roll...lol.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2010 at 1:44pm
i think you could make some 5.7's fit lol just a touch longer
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2010 at 2:03pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

i think you could make some 5.7's fit lol just a touch longer

Could not agreemore! 5.0 or 5.7. Most of the twin application Fish Nautiques I have run across had 302 fords.
keep us updated on your progress you got a great deal on the boat.
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2010 at 2:18pm
Scott, Welcome to the site and owner of a REAL boat. You've already made a least one friend (Eric) already by posting pictures of the tranny. He's our transmission Guru and always complains when someone posts an engine w/o the important part . You've come to right place and glad you found us. Keep us informed.

"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
astanley99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote astanley99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2010 at 3:16pm
How is the project going on your twin engine fish nautique? I am considering one I have found locally and would be interested to know your thoughts so far.

Adam
423-605-3766
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2010 at 5:00pm
some 4 barrel manifolds and carbs might get you at the 210 mark,
just to be sure once in a while they will spin twin inboards, inboard, dont hold me to the outboard comment...but 95% of the time they will go out

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote worththewake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2010 at 5:04pm
Unfortunately I have not had time to get it started yet - I will be bringing it in the garage sometime this fall but expect it to be a long project.

You found another twin? Is it the one in Orlando? I did look at that boat when I was down in Florida.
Scott
1980 Fish Nautique - Twin V6 Crusaders

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote worththewake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2010 at 5:06pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

some 4 barrel manifolds and carbs might get you at the 210 mark,
just to be sure once in a while they will spin twin inboards, inboard, dont hold me to the outboard comment...but 95% of the time they will go out

I am still undecided on power - I am considering twin small blocks very strongly. I figure if I am going to pull the floors and replace the stringers (which seems likely based on other fish threads) I might as well go all the way with the larger power.
Scott
1980 Fish Nautique - Twin V6 Crusaders
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic