Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

got my 77 skier in the water

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
DJ77skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJ77skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: got my 77 skier in the water
    Posted: May-17-2005 at 4:02am
hey guys i just got my 77 skier in the water today and had the timing all out of wack. we pulled the boat out and took it home so a buddy who builds racecar motors could fix me up.as soon as he got my firing in order we found that my kill switch was backwards easy fix. the new motor ran smooth as i could have wanted it to. as it ran for a sec. we found that both manifolds had small pin hole leaks. that really sucks we wanted to break her in tomorrow. my question is do you think this would hurt anything if we took it out to just test out and breakin for a few hours? also my oil pressure sender is bad also. i have heard of people welding the outside of their manifolds befor. i just want to get it ready so when my new manifolds come in. i can handle a little water in my bilge as long as it want hurt anything. the pin holes are facing straight down. the insides of the manifolds are in good shape. please let me know your suggestions. thanks for all the help
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2005 at 12:43pm
Exhaust manifolds that leak water into the bilge is not a problem (other than it leaks). The problem is when the manifolds leak water into the cylinders and then you have just ruined your freshly rebuilt engine. After the engine has been run and shut down for several hours, pull the plugs and inspect for water. You do NOT want to crank over the engine with a cylinder full of water!

I suggest you forget the welding approach and purchase new. FWIW: another method of fixing cracked cast iron is via overlapping set screws. Sort of hard to explain, but you start at the end of the crack, drill and tap for tapered set screw. Install and tighten set screw. Grind off set screw until flush with surface. Now drill and tap another hole for set screw that overlaps the first one. Repeat this process until you reach the end of the crack.
DJ77skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJ77skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2005 at 3:00pm
thanks david for your help i plan on ordering new one today. i just want to get the boat in the water and test it out i will check for water and if i see nothing i will run it.

thanks for all the help
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2005 at 3:27pm
Oh man. More good info David. I can't believe it has taken all my life to learn about the set screw trick. That's awesome.
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2005 at 6:33pm
My exhaust manifolds are cast aluminum. When did they start using cast iron?
Tim D
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic