NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Prop Shaft Seal

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
rman56 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rman56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prop Shaft Seal
    Posted: March-03-2010 at 6:19pm
Whats the best way to know if you need a new prop shaft seal? Iam getting ready to pull my rudder and re-pac it and wanted to do everything at one time. Thanks Ryan
1983 Ski Nautique
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2010 at 8:03pm
Ryan

If you cannot get it to slow to 5-6 drips per minute.
Have you tried just tightening down the rudder packing? You can tighten that so it doesn't drip, unlike the shaft packing.
It is cheap and easy enough to do so if you are definitely doing one, just do the other at the same time. You will want to verify the size of both. Will be either 3/16" or 1/4". I use the goretex stuff from DIM, or others. IIRC the Mustang are each different.
You want to stagger the joints, and overwrap it around a dowel or something the same circumference as the respective shafts and then cut at the joint, so the cut is at the same angle, not straight. You will get a better seal that way.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

rman56 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rman56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2010 at 8:31pm
Thanks, I have thought about putting a drippless XPC shaft seal in it. Not sure if I will or not. All I know is late last summer I was getting about 3 to 4 inches of water in it after being at the lake for a couple of hours. May be overkill but I just thought I would replace it all to be on the safe side. I would hate to leave in the water overnight and have it full the next morning! LOL............

Ryan
1983 Ski Nautique
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2010 at 8:44pm
Oh. Yeah, you are going to want to check on that. To do both with goretex, it will cost about $30 total, maybe $35. Once you dig in there, it is really an easy thing to understand and replace. Do not pack the propshaft too tight or it will burn up. Hand tighten, check, adjust accordingly.

Edit: That is a ton of water, you may want to look at your exhaust, etc for leaks. My SN leaked a lot and perhaps would have leaked that much, but one look and you would know. A small hole in the hull will leak a lot too. Found that out in the Mustang.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

rman56 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rman56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2010 at 10:15pm
Adjusting the prop shaft sounds pretty easy. I will look up DIM and see what I can do. Does the drips need to be in or out of gear or just floating? Thanks again...................
1983 Ski Nautique
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2010 at 10:53pm
Ryan,
I think you'll be happy with gortex/teflon packing. It's much better than old school waxed rope. There's a commercial fishing supply on my way to work, I buy a lot of stuff there. If ANY of you guy's want shaft packing I think the 1/4 teflon packing is $3.50 a foot & 3/16 a little cheaper you'll use almost 2 ft.(for the prop shaft) So how about this "deal" E-mail me what size you need and your address I'll pick it up the next day and put it in the mail for a $10- donation to Keith to help keep us together. But you gotta call now cause you know we can't do this all day!
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

rman56 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rman56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2010 at 11:19pm
I appreciate it sounds like a deal. I need to take the shaft and rudder out to see what size I need. Should know in the next day or so. Thanks
1983 Ski Nautique
lonestar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lonestar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2010 at 12:22am
Can anyone describe how to go about removing the rudder to repack it ?
The reason I ask, Im gettin a couple of inches of water in the boat pretty quick while at the dock ? Im guessing I need to tighten somthing down a bit.
lonestar
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2010 at 8:50am
Originally posted by lonestar lonestar wrote:

Can anyone describe how to go about removing the rudder to repack it ?
The reason I ask, Im gettin a couple of inches of water in the boat pretty quick while at the dock ? Im guessing I need to tighten somthing down a bit.

Have you looked under your gas tank to get a idea of the rudder port/packing gland set up? The rudder does not need to be removed but maybe on the gas tank!! You'll see the packing gland nut with a jam nut under it just like your prop shaft is set up. Try tightening up the packing first before repacking. The jam nut is loosened and the packing nut is tightened. You can tighten up a rudder port pretty tight because unlike a prop shaft it's not rotating constantly so heat isn't a issue.

Try the tightening first as mentioned.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Tomski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2010 at 9:53am
I have the Oj dripless in mine and it's brilliant. It's got three seasons use on it and I have never had any problems with it.

The only water that gets in the bilge is either what you bring in on your wet gear or spray. On a flat day if you don't ride the bilge is dry.
Easily Parted From Money
lonestar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lonestar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2010 at 11:00am
Thanks Pete, I had the tank out a year ago not thinking to check on the rudder. Im putting a new sending unit in soon so I guess I will try to snake under the tank and get a look at the rudder.
lonestar
rman56 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rman56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2010 at 11:29am
Thanks Tomski thats good to know. I know the dripless is more money but it may be better in the long run. On a normal seal how often should you chnge them?
1983 Ski Nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2010 at 1:02pm
Originally posted by rman56 rman56 wrote:

All I know is late last summer I was getting about 3 to 4 inches of water in it after being at the lake for a couple of hours.

Maybe this is a stupid question, but have you actually determined that the packing is the source of the water intrusion?

If not, Id drain all the water, remove the motorbox, back seat, rear floor panels and anything else that would give you a clear view of the bilge. Clean everything as best you can and dry it 100%, then drop it in the water and see where the water is coming in. We found a leak in the rudder port itself on the BFN- we had to drop the port and reseal it. No amount of packing would have stopped that leak!
rman56 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rman56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2010 at 11:48am
You know I never did check it before we put it up for the winter. I cant believe I didnt do that. Any good ideas to check it without going to the lake? Still a little cold here. Appreciate all the help....
1983 Ski Nautique
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2010 at 1:55pm
Take everything out that TRBenj already mentioned, and first just dunk it in the lake. If it is a packing or another leak, you'll notice it right away. This helps differentiate a hull leak vs. cooling system or exhaust when the engine is running.
rman56 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rman56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2010 at 2:01pm
Everything is out right now so I need to get it to the lake and check it out. Thanks
1983 Ski Nautique
rman56 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rman56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2010 at 3:01pm
Ok I went out and looked it over and the front brass coupler has alot of up and down play in it. Iam guessing its pushing alot of water through there?
1983 Ski Nautique
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2010 at 4:29pm
Are you talking about the packing gland for the prop shaft located about a foot behind the transmission? It has a rubber hosed clamped to it? looks simular to the top of the rudder under the gas tank?
rman56 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rman56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2010 at 4:37pm
Yes the top nut is very loose. I cant believe I have not noticed that.
1983 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2010 at 5:00pm
Ryan,
Many like yourself are unfamilier with some of the proper parts terms on boats so I suggest posting pictures next time something like this comes up.

Since the packing gland nut is loose, first try tightening it before you do a repack. This must be done in the water so it will get the proper water lubrication. Tighten by hand first then by small increments with a wrench. The packing assembly must not run hot. If it does, then it's too tight. You should see about 3 to 5 drips past the gland every minute. After every adjustment, don't forget to tighten the jam nut under the packing nut. It's ther to prevent rotation of the nut from the prop shaft rotating.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
rman56 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rman56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2010 at 5:05pm
Thanks, I will try to tighten it first and see what I have from there.
1983 Ski Nautique
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2010 at 5:06pm
well it's going to be hard to tell but you might want to see if there is actually ay packing in it, since it's loose odds are it's been spit out of the gland all ready.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2010 at 5:14pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

well it's going to be hard to tell but you might want to see if there is actually ay packing in it, since it's loose odds are it's been spit out of the gland all ready.

The depth the packing nut screws on will tell if there's packing still in it. The packing is probably still in there. That's why they make these:

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2010 at 5:36pm
rman56 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rman56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2010 at 6:13pm
Thanks I will look at it. Iam going to try and take it loose today and see what I have.
1983 Ski Nautique
bubbaskier View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bubbaskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2010 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

good stuffing box write up

I am repacking my driveshaft gland and found this very usefull link. Thanks Hollywood you made my life easier. I appreciate all the expert advice this forum has to offer. KUDOS!!!
rman56 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rman56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2010 at 2:26pm
I finished mine and used the Gortex and it works great, basically drippless.
1983 Ski Nautique
merbesfield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merbesfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2010 at 11:50pm
What tools are required? What size wrenches etc. so I can be sure to have the right tools down at the dock. Also, how do I find out what size packing so I can order it and have it if needed vs. being down for a week?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2010 at 9:00am
Mark,
I had to do a search to find your boat year!! A 84 most likely uses the 3/16" packing. Just get both the 3/16 and 1/4"! You can always use the 1/4" on the rudder port.

Packing nut adjustable wrenches are available but most will use pipe or slip joint wrenches.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
hughman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hughman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2010 at 2:46pm
I love this site! I am trying to replace my drive shaft packing on an 81' Ski Nautique, but there is a ring around the shaft just up from the large nut so i can not move the nut up the shaft to get the old packing out. This ring has a hole through it, I tried to knock the pin out but it won't budge. any ideas? Thanks...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic