Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

83nautiHelp

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
ryan View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 83nautiHelp
    Posted: May-14-2005 at 2:15pm
Im having a problem starting my boat.
Ive replaced the battery, starter solenoid and voltage regulator. The alternator was also tested and turned out fine. The boat sometimes starts no problem. Then turn the key and nothing. When the nothing happens we jump the solenoid with a screwdriver and it fires up no problem. The voltage meter reads 12.3 volts never higher. I just bought the boat a month ago and am new to nautiques. Im not sure what the red button is that connects to a wire from the solenoid. Maybe thats the problem? Any help would be appreciated. One more question how do I tell if the boat is taking in water to the engine, where does it come out of after its been threw the eng?
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2005 at 5:34pm
a) Sounds like neutral safety switch on the tranny. Jumper it to test or jiggle the throttle (don't pull the neutal lock) and if it starts, thats it.
Disconnect the cable and center the gear lever on its detents, then adjust the barrel on the cable so the pin lines up best and tighten the locknut. If that fails, replace the switch.

Your alternator is likely still not charging. 14v is typical. Check with a trusted meter. Your vintage boat has an external regulator that could be fried or connected wrong.

b) If your not sinking due to melted exhaust hoses, its flowing water. The engine water joins the constant flow of water out the exhaust manifolds. Both manifolds should remain somewhat comfortable to touch.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
ryan View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2005 at 4:40am
Thanks GottaSki that was the problem. Wish I would have posed here before I dropped 450 to have some dealer try to fix it(he didnt). So the temporary fix is jiggle the neutral lock and it starts no prob. This weekend ill probably make a more permanent fix.
Thanks again
billgatesceo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billgatesceo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2005 at 12:59pm
I had to do the exact same thing on my '77 Skier. I ended up taking the connection loose to the gear selector. Then you can , by hand move the selector forward and back. Check with the key, where the farthest part forward the engine turns over. If it doesn't start move it back just a touch and check it again. Once you have the correct setting, "scribe" a mark on the housing lining up with some portion of the lever arm. Now do the same thing going the other way. Once you have the two marks, you can then adjust the cable so that everytime you put it back to neutral, the arm lines up right in the middle of the scribed lines, and hopefully will start evey time.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic