NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Air Chair / Hydrofoil

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2010 at 1:32am
Originally posted by TX Foilhead TX Foilhead wrote:

I'm thinking about it, we're doing a Mini Flyin @ Lake Murray OK the middle of May.

Send me an email shortly before you come up here(Murray). I've got a buddy with an 99SNOB that is dying to learn something on his foils.
...those who have fallen and those who will.
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2010 at 2:22am
It's the weekend after Mothers Day. We ride Friday after lunch until about noon on Sunday. Most likely we'll be in a friends Xstar and camping in the field at Buzzards Roost. Tell him to check over on Foil Forums for more info, we'll start posting details in about a month. Last year we had about 20 foilers and 5 or 6 boats, should be a few more this year.
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2010 at 5:31pm
We'll be there.
Netdewt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Netdewt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2010 at 5:57pm
Disheartened by the high cost of the hydrofoils, I tried to do some searching about what other sports are out there. I did a search for "watersports". Not what I was expecting.
1989 Ski Nautique 2001, 880 hours
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2010 at 2:58am
Yeah, But, think of all the money you'll be saving!
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2010 at 12:00am
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

If you're looking for someting other than boarding or skiing, go this route. Lot less than $1,700. Plus it's wicked cool and tons of fun.

(not me...stock photo)

When I posted that I just went to google images and picked the first picture I thought captured what I was getting at. Today, just to pass the time on a cold grey rainy day I was rereading the "learn to barefoot" thread and discovered that the picture above is our own "lakeboy" Roy. What are the odds? Well its no surprise to me I picked this picture...I think Roy is the epitome of the determined barefooter.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2010 at 5:25pm
Kid Rock foils
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2010 at 12:54am
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Kid Rock foils

nice way to foil!!!LOL
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
bubbaskier View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bubbaskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2010 at 7:08pm
All I can say is I tried the Air Chair twice; can you say FACE-PLANT? There is very little reaction time from being OK to FACE-PLANT. However with that said I would be more than happy to try it again if I had the chance. Our motto is, "If your not bleeding, your not having any fun."
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2010 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by bubbaskier bubbaskier wrote:

There is very little reaction time from being OK to FACE-PLANT.

Actually, I always thought there was an immense amount of time to consider the looming impact. You are so high up, and know right away what is coming next. I knocked myself stupid one time on an old chair. Stars, split lip, semi concious.

Lastly, that kneeboard foil would be stupid. You would kill yourself. As a former avid kneeboarder, you would never get me on one.

Mike N

1968 Mustang

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2010 at 2:29am
Ryan, this is your advanced warning about the Lake Murray event, we're about a month away it going on May 14 - 16th @ Buzzards Roost.

Any one is welcome to come out, it's like the reunions, but we are there to ride hydrofoils instead of looking at boats. There will be some looking to learn to ride and maybe even a pro or 2, people came from as far away as Ohio and California last year, with the majority being from OK and North TX. If you need more details look for it over on foilforum.com or email me through either site my name is the same both places.
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2010 at 1:31pm
I'll be there. Thanks
anthonylizardi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2010 at 4:20pm
Maybe I will go too. About 2 hours from my home. I have a few hours on the foil and would like to see some pros.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2010 at 12:26am
Where are you coming from Anthony?
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2010 at 1:38am
Told a few friends, they're coming too. I think Anthony lives in North Dallas.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2010 at 12:36am
Ryan is close. I live just west of the Dallas/FOrt Worth airport, about 3 miles.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2010 at 8:30pm
Ryan, I will be giving a call. A couple of my friends wants to go to Lake Murray on May 8. I wonder if I can get some information. We are thinking about staying the weekend. Is there a place on the lake you can stay at. Maybe a hotel or camping?
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2010 at 12:52am
Call me @ 817-933-0105
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2010 at 1:26am
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2010 at 2:50am
Wow, "not a childs toy" My 8 year old would disagree with that. If any one is interested, that thing shouldn't be worth more than $250, if he really wants to be firm about $500 then it can keep collecting dust in his garage.

Anthony, take a thermometer with you to Lake Murray, we never can figure out what to take when we go. 1st time I took a spring suit and needed a full, next time I took a full suit and would have been better off in a drysuit.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2010 at 1:57pm
Is really that cold?

Ryan, I got your number. I will call later in the week.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2010 at 4:08pm
I would guess the water is between 65 and 70, but the air temp has been anywhere from 55 to 85. Last year we had a front blow through and the high might have gotten to 60 on Saturday and it was cloudy. The day before and after it was sunny and mid 80's.
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2010 at 4:14pm
Water temp is 69 degrees right now.
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2010 at 12:01pm
I highly reccomend you guys go over to Barefoot Central's website and check out thier newest feature. They now have a Livestream broadcast interviews with todays' persons making an impact in the sport of barefooting and other disciplines. You can ask questions to all. Last night they had the owner of Sanger boats on talking about boats and what the future holds for barefooting and freestyle barefooting. On April 26 @ 8:00E they will have Geno Yauchler. Geno is a popular foiler and will be at the Katy(Houston), TX NAutique Big Dawg Ski Jam hosted at Barefoot Central's compound. Just thought I would share.
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2010 at 11:45pm
Had a chance to try the skyski this weekend thanks to a pull and some tips by JoeinNY at White Lake. It's definitely unlike anything I've ever been on. Ever. To paraphrase Joe, "Very subtle changes in rope/body position have dramatic effects on your success and/or failures."   Having said that, it was a lot of fun and I'd like to have one. Took me a couple of tries to get up and then a few more to figure out how to keep it down. Most other water toys seem to be challenging to figure out how to get up. This one, for me at least, was more challenging to figure out how to keep it from riding up high on that foil, which for a beginner is the very first part of an incredibly massive face plant.

There are 2 things that I didn't like.
1. It's huge. If you have to carry it around in your boat all day with all your other gear (as i do), that alone would be enough to keep me from getting one.
2. Expense. This would definitely be a water toy that I'd be going in with my regular ski buds to split the cost on. No way I could swing a grand or more for one by myself.

Still, really cool toy and easier on the body vs. wakeboarding etc... As long as your not falling.
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)
pmccook1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmccook1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2010 at 1:12am
Swatkinz,

How bad are the spills from riding high and doing a face plant ?
   How does it feel when you hit the water with it buckled on your waist?   

I was thinking about a foil or a wakekite. But after watching the video of the does and don'ts of the wakekite, i'm leaning more toward the foil.   I know its big, but look how big the kite would be lugging it around all day.   I'm like you, I don't like to be tied to the dock.
I don't know of anyone in GA that has a foil to try out. But I'd sure like to try it before I buy it. a used one of course
pmccook1

Current boat:1993 Ski Nautique " Purple "
Have owned : 76' ski nautique, 93' Sport Nautique, 83 Stars and stripes, 47' Chris Craft Continental
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2010 at 2:31am
If you learned to get up on it quickly, that's great. We have found that people who slalom a lot seem to have the most difficulty. They want to tug and push and pull on things and it really just requires that you sit still and follow the boat.

The next major lesson is to not push on your feet, it's a natural reaction to avoid danger but on the foil it causes it. That lesson is learned fairly quickly and the worst of the crashes are done until you start to jump.

If you have learned the safety position (arms out, bend forward at the waist to set the board on the water) well then jumping shouldn't cause you much if any pain. Try to take everything bacerds and you will avoid the faceplants.

Speaking of the faceplants, they will get your attention, but really it is just the same old slap on the water and getting water in your nose and eyelids that seem to happen from learning anything new behind a boat.     I have taken similar falls on skis, wakeboards, kneeboards and tubes. With the foils you can slow the boat down below 20 and minimize the impacts while your learning. I think the record for the slowest roll is 7 or 8 mph.

They do take up a bit of room in the boat, but we found that the are be hind the driver in a direct drive is usually unused, the other side of the motor works for the next one, and there is room for 2 more in the back with the seat removed. In my Excel I have had 6 with 6 riders.

As for the cost, anyone can ride any foil, and most tricks have been done on all variations of the the Sky Skis. The more expensive foils are lighter, smoother, and more responsive, but require no special skills to ride. If get into it you will end up with the high end equipment so purchase all you can afford and upgrade the rest as you can.

That's about all the rambling I have tonight, but for anyone interested in foiling go over to Foilforums.com and have a look around, we have just about all the info you could ever want on hydrofoiling.
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2010 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by pmccook1 pmccook1 wrote:

Swatkinz,

How bad are the spills from riding high and doing a face plant ?
   How does it feel when you hit the water with it buckled on your waist?   

I didn't do much face planting. Not that I'm good or a natural, I just took it real easy. I am a working dad and can't afford to get hurt having fun. I agree with foilhead that the faceplants probably aren't much worse than a bad wakeboard fall, but I've had some pretty tough falls on a wakeboard. I think just the thought that doing a faceplant when your strapped to the extreme end of that catapult probably is more mentally intimidating than anything else.   

As far as falls being buckled in...again I took it pretty easy and had no bad, scary falls. Certainly nothing that hurt b/c of the straps. The thing that would be concerning though is if either your feet somehow got unstrapped or your waist got unstrapped. I'd think that you could really injure yourself IF that happened, but those straps have you buckled in pretty good. That concern wouldn't keep me from riding the heck out of one if I had it at my disposal.

I have a buddy with a pontoon that always anchors up with us that wants to go in on one with a couple of other friends. That wouldn't be a bad thing as it'd offset the cost and we could keep it on his pontoon while we aren't using it. Going in splitting the cost, I'd probably put in $300, but would have trouble paying more than that. If we decide to do that, I'll let you know and maybe you could come do a day trip over here and give it a try since you're in Georgia
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)
pmccook1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmccook1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2010 at 6:24pm
So you saying if I can find any year model skyski it will be a good one ?
pmccook1

Current boat:1993 Ski Nautique " Purple "
Have owned : 76' ski nautique, 93' Sport Nautique, 83 Stars and stripes, 47' Chris Craft Continental
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2010 at 8:12pm
Sky Ski foils are superior to Air Chair foils with one exception. Geno was having some foils made the last 2 or 3 years that were his design and he sold them direct. They were made by Sky Ski and would mostl likely be in the $3000 range if you found one. Now that he is riding for Sky Ski he has an official Pro Model that is slightly different from the normal LE 38. Sky Ski started making billet foils for the whole line up in 2003 I think and those are supireor in strength and ride better than most of the early cast foils. The nice thing about starting on the Sky Ski billet stuff is that it is all standardized. This allows you to upgrade parts, all front wings work with all TBars as do all seat towers. The moveable rear wings can be adapted to work on all TBars with either an adapter plate or some cutting and drilling for those who are handy.   The best part about billet equipment is that it can be annodized so if you ride in less than pristine water you don't have to polish stuff all the time.   I seem to get about a months worth of rides before I need to polish my wings and once I make up mi mind what color I want they will be annoed.   
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic