Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Water pump 92 351 PCM

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
tommer12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommer12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Water pump 92 351 PCM
    Posted: May-13-2005 at 4:29am
I have one the great Sherwood pumps on it. Doing the spring tune up, checking the impeller.. replaced it and I went to mount it back on and I forgot which way the pump goes. From the paint, it looks like i have it right.. the outside screw goes in.

But my other problem is I went to mount it back on. The pivot bolt on the bottom seems to be not catching.. stripped probably. cheap aluminum! Anyways.. I tried putting a washer on it to maybe grab some other threads. no luck.. I hate to replace the whole pump just for that bolt. Any ideas? I was thinking of Lock Tight stuff to fill it in. Any other "special stuff" to help with this? I know and J&B Weld is not the answer unless I for sure never want to take it off again! ha.

How about a threading bolt? Try and redo the threads?

Thanks Nautique-heads
tc
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2005 at 9:55am
Perhaps an oversize tap or get a helicoil kit from competent hardware or automotive store.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2005 at 10:58am
I'd try to tap it with the proper size tap first to see how she holds. If she is still a bit loose then maybe a little teflon tape on the threads then go to an over size thread. Bigger isn't always better. Trust me on this one.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2005 at 12:44pm
Can you just drill it out and through bolt it by putting a nut on the back side? I have not looked at my setup in a long time, so cannot remember.
tommer12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommer12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2005 at 3:21pm
I pretty sure I cant drill it out. It's tight fit on the pump to get a bolt or nut on it I think.

I am going to try a tap to clean the threads up. I don't want to go bigger if I don't have to because then I have to drill the hole out of the mount then also. Which is not a big deal, but.

I was hoping there was some sort of liquid that would work.. but I may have to use the teflon and tap to see if this will work... or it's a new pump
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2005 at 5:12pm
Also, any competent machine shop can add a few dabs of metal then redrill/tap to original size.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
tommer12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommer12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2005 at 5:50am
Issue resolved... Went to the hardware store..bought a new tap and drill bit.. new bolt.. gently drilled out the stripped threads.. tapped with slightly large bolt... works like a champ.    

thanks for the info!     I think after I looked at it more.. the bolt probably worked its way loose and was just barely hanging on.. loose bolt on metal just rounded out the hole.. and the threads were gone when I tried to tighten....

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic