Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

NEED INFO PLZ!

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
NAILBANGER View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NAILBANGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NEED INFO PLZ!
    Posted: May-08-2005 at 7:55pm
JUST BOUGHT A 1966 MUSTANG AND IT HAS A INLINE FORD 6-CYLINDER AND WAS WONDERING IF THIS WAS AN OPTION FOR CC OF THAT YEAR. ALSO IF I SWAP THIS OUT FOR EITHER A 289 OR 302 IS THIS GOIG TO CHANGE THE CHARACTERISTICS OF THE WAY THE BOAT SITS AND REACTS IN THE WATER THANKS!
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2005 at 8:13pm
Nailbanger,

See the 1966 brochure under the reference
section of this website. There were
4 or five power options for the 1966 Mustang
ranging from 70 HP to 210 HP. Given the
low cubic inches of some of the smaller options, I'm assuming they were inline sixes.

You're lucky to have such a comprehensive
boat brochure, which includes an original dealers price sheet.

The boat was offered with a V8 and so it should be able to handle a V8 in terms of
weight.

I would be more concerned with adding
too much horsepower on a 16 foot boat rather
than the weight.

I'm not sure what other components would also
need swapping. But I'm sure someone on this
website has done it and can help you.

Have fun with it.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

reidp View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2005 at 11:33am
Nailbanger,
Is this the orange and white one we saw on EBay? If so, that's a neat looking boat.

The only thing I see the V8 changing is the amount of fun you can have with the boat. It'll fit with no problem at all. One thing you may want to check however, is the engine box. I belive the 6's had a narrower engine which may not accommodate the V8. If you take some clear inside dimensions of the box, someone can surely stretch a tape on their 289-302 to see how they compare.

The transmission may be the 70 series Velvet Drive as opposed to the 71, and if so, it will still handle a small V8. You'll also need to cut a new exhaust port thru the transom, as I don't think you want to combine them into the single existing outlet. I've got an original thru-hull stainless pipe as well as the trim ring from that vintage Mustang that you can have for no charge.

But even with all this said, I'd run that unique 6 for period and make sure your not completely satisfied with it. It's gonna pull a lot better than a 6 cyl outdrive, but just won't have the top speed of the 8's.
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2005 at 12:36pm
I agree with Reid. It takes a huge amount of horsepower to increase speed just a little. You may find the 6 cylinder OK with the right prop. Unless you have to put money into the 6 cylinder you should probably give it a fair try.

As far as retro-fitting an 8 cylinder, I would think it should be a workable project. Locating proper engine placement is a task that will be interesting. My approach would be to run the 6 cylinder and wait for an old 8 cylinder Mustang (that needs parting out) to appear on Ebay. Buy the whole boat and use it for a model for your present boat. Use the engine out of it and when done sell the left-overs.

Have fun.
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2005 at 3:22pm
BTW, if you should decide to buy a "for parts only" Mustang I would recommend finding one with a small block Ford only because of high parts availability. You can get 260, 289, and 302 parts all over the internet. .. and like 79Nautique said in one of his posts, the kid down the street may have parts for these engines in his garage.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2005 at 4:43pm
If you need this pic download it and save it. It will disappear when the link disappears.

This box is off of a '66 Mustang with a small block Ford (260 or 289).
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic