FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

82-89 Ski Nautique 2001

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Owner / Operator of CorrectCraftFan.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 82-89 Ski Nautique 2001
    Posted: May-06-2005 at 3:54pm
Looking to replace my recently sold '79 Mustang with a 82-89 SN 2001.

Was wondering what people thought about the different years of the 2001 model.

For example:
* Any known issues with the 1982 year, i.e. first year of new design?

* Thoughts on 'Deluxe Interior' vs. Standard?

* Any significant changes from '82 to '85 - beyond the dash?

* Thoughts on style change in '87 - appearance, functionality, performance?

* Thoughts on SP package ('89 only?) with 1.23:1 ratio transmission, new exhaust, level engine mount, and the claims of 10% more HP, 6% decreased in fuel consumption, and 50% reduction in exhaust noise?

Thanks,
Keith

Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
nautique frk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2005 at 1:32pm
Keith,
I personally think my 1988 2001 is the best year of the series (82-89) Because it has a nicer dash (Same As 89) Dual exhaust ( nice Sound) Three piece windshield ( I Like that design better )
I do like the 85,86,87,89 too Just for different reasons .
There is a premo one owner 85 2001 on ebay right now listed under ski nautique locate about 2 hrs from me in Boone NC .
Check it out ,
Mike
NAUTI84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NAUTI84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2005 at 1:10pm
Hey Keith,
You had a great looking Mustang & was surprised to see it for sale - Looks like you sold it.
My opinion - 84's are the BEST!
I think 82's & 83's were a somewhat different model than the 84 thru 86's?
(Although, I've always loved the looks of the 87-89's. They've got a real nice look to them too. Look bigger than mine.)
Good luck! - Keep us posted.
Dennis View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dennis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2005 at 12:58am
Keith, I was looking for same...one of the CC mechanics shared that his favorite/best year was 89 because of the SP package...but the transmissions were noisy in some (quality control issue); said they reco'd 20 weight oil instead of Dextron to fix. Look out for gel coat on '87's -- they went with a different type that year and had some cracking/spider web issues. The hull is same throughout the 2001 series, 82-89. Earlier years had painted stripe (Rustoleum!) making it easier to change to a custom stripe if you wanted a more contemporary look. The Deluxe interior is much more comfortable and more conemporary looking. Just some thoughts.
JoelH View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoelH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2005 at 1:27am
Dennis-
Funny you should mention the noisy transmissions- my 90 sn always made a funny squeaking/buzzing noise at idle. Turns out the early PP trannies did not have enough room in the control valve for the oil so the pressure/fluid would make the noise. They released a kit to fix the noise which is basically a hose that screws into the control valve housing. Costs 35 bucks, well worth it!
NAUTI84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NAUTI84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2005 at 1:25pm
Hey Keith,
I'm sure your looking everywhere but that's a pretty nice looking 86 that Philip Stone has on the site. (Don't know about the purple trailer though )
Brian View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2005 at 10:48pm
Keith,

I have owned an 82 and an 86. Honestly, I can't tell the difference in performance. The 86 is basically the same boat with nicer interior and nicer dash (recessed speedo's versus the big honking chrome ones!).

I did like the finned hood vent grilles better on the 82 versus the slotted ones on my 86.

I don't think you could go wrong with either year.

Good luck.
Brian
Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2005 at 3:55pm
Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

The 82-84 2001 was my dream boat as a kid. I like the subtle changes for the 85-86 as well. I wasn't considering the 87-89 style but now that I've looked a little closer, I like it. I agree that the 88 and 89 have a better dash and the 89 SP package can't be beat.

But beggars can't be choosers. My biggest problem is my budget. I can't justify spending much more than $7k right now (with travel). I'm looking for the diamond in the rough - good condition, requiring little work, at a great price.

Unfortunately, I let two great boats go before I officially sold mine. Hopefully something else turns up soon. Willing to drive about 10 hours from MA. Trying to talk sellers into meeting me half way when further then 10 hours.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again.

-Keith
Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
raygunclan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raygunclan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2005 at 4:48pm
how fast do you drive???

there are 3 on ebay right now, michigan, texas and one with a tower and nice trailer in oklahoma! if you drive 120, you could probably make it a 10 hour trip!
who needs a mortgage when you have a boat!?!?
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2005 at 6:16pm
A friend of mine has a '87, blue and grey. I love to ski behind that boat, a solid monster wake at 18 and fairly flat at 36 and speed for barefootin', and great exhaust sound but not too loud.
Tim D
Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2005 at 6:22pm
Tim D,
Where is the boat located? What condition is the hull, engine, and interior?

Thanks,
Keith
Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2005 at 10:43am
It's not for sale, just giving my thoughts on that model. If it came up for sale, I would buy it in a second.
Tim D
BigAir View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigAir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2005 at 2:01pm
What is the SP package on the 89?
Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2005 at 3:17pm
BigAir,
In 1989 Correct Craft added the SP package to the 351. You should have the SP package in your boat. It includes the new 1.23:1 transmission (rather than the traditional 1:1)that took the angle for the shaft so the engine could mount flat (previous years have the engine mounted at an angle to align with the saft) and reversed the rotation so the engine could be a traditional automotive left-hand rotation while keeping the prop a right-hand rotation (all previous years where right-hand rotation engines which were harder to find parts for and more expensive).

The SP package was also the introduction to the single through hull exhaust. A new muffler was added under the engine cover that took the exhaust from the two exhaust manifolds and combined it into one 4" exhaust.

The results of these changes were better torque, better fuel economy and 50% reduction in noise.

Check out the SP write-up in the '89 borchure for more details.

-Keith

Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
skyhawkflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyhawkflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2005 at 4:43pm
I have an 87, I like it for the most part. The windshield sort of sucks, I'd rather have the 3 piece.
Mine is blue and grey. I also perfer the lower dash pod for visability. I guess I'm one of the lucky owners to get one with the gel coat cracking. It's only on the transom where the correct craft decal is, and it seems to be superficial. I've had the boat for 15 years and it hasn't gotten any worse, and you can't hardly see it for the most part, unless your the one that gets to wash the boat! I got an awesome deal on the boat back in 92, so it really didn't matter to me one way or the other.
Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2005 at 1:14pm
Found one. 85 with low hours, orginial owners, mint conditions inside and out, and the right price. Only issue is it's in GA (17 hr. drive for me). Making arrangements to pick it up. Will know for sure early next week - if it doesn't sell by then.

-Keith
Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2005 at 2:45am
Did Correct Craft go away from Airguide Speedos in 1985? It's hard to tell but in most of the photo I see, looks like they did.

-Keith
Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
mrese View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2005 at 2:55am
I have Airguide in my 89.
BigAir View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigAir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2005 at 11:02am
Thanks Keith. Great information. I knew my boat was different than previous years, but I didn't know it had a name. The deluxe interior has held up very well and is very comfortable. Top speed for me is 45. I have about 250 pounds of lead in the back seat for wake enhancement. The wake is solid and very large, but I do get some porpoising over 40 MPH if the water is at all choppy. without the lead the porpoising goes away. I think I can keep the lead and lose the porpoising by adding weight to the front. That should help the wake too.

Another thing that I would like to know about is; just how rare is the reverse gel coat color scheme during the 82-89 years? I love the way my red one looks. Someone told me that Correct Craft made a few for a big ski show in florida. They said that you can tell those boats by the double steering cables. Mine does not have that so I'm assuming that it's not one of those. The dealer that I bought it from said that he was the original seller back in 89 and that he special ordered three of them. One light blue, one dark blue and one red. I have the red one. Another dealer told me that there's no such thing and that my boat must have been painted. Trust me, I've taken out a few scratches. It's not paint. I'm reasonably confidant that it's factory original. I'd just like to know if it's kind of rare, super rare or not really that rare at all. Thanks again.

Bob
Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2005 at 1:56pm
My mistake, what I meant to say was that it looks like Correct Craft went to non-Airguide speedos just in 1985. My guess is it had to do with the flush dash mount, which was new in 85. The Airguide speedo in 84 where the raised mounts. I believe they went back to airguide in 86.

Can anyone else confirm the speedos where not Airguide in 85?

Thanks,
Keith
Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
niagararob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote niagararob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2005 at 7:17pm
Interesting info on the SP package. i helped a friend purchase a 84 2001 this spring and was wondering how similar my 86 2001 is or if there are any differences at all. I don't think he got a manual, how does one go about ordering one? Does any one know if the engines are 351 Clevelands or Windsors?
cam892001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cam892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2005 at 1:25pm
Where did you find the 250 pounds of lead to put under the seats? I have an 89 also and I really want to get something to boost the wake sized, but still keep the rear seats in and no fat sacks.
BigAir View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigAir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2005 at 4:36pm
You might have to call around a little. I called a couple scrap metal yards and metal recycling centers. I found one that had lead in kind of a brick form. My back seat has three compartments inside. Once you have each compartment about half full, take the boat out and adjust them as you see fit. You'll be able to add and subtract and move them around to get the best wake. You can also add some to the front. Once I get my stereo system back in I'm going to get more lead and add to the front too.
Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2005 at 5:22pm
Anyone ski behind an 86 Barefoot Nautique? I understand they are great for wakeboarding but wondering about the 454 and the slalom wake.

Thanks,
Keith
Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
raygunclan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raygunclan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2005 at 6:45pm
1985 2001 on ebay! new york state! have you gotten one yet?
who needs a mortgage when you have a boat!?!?
Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2005 at 12:47am
Thank you everyone for your help. Today I purchased a rare 25th Anniversary Edition Silver Nautique 2001.

Got a great deal on a great boat. Mechanically, it's in excellant shape -- just a little cosmetic work to be done (need something to tinker with, right?)

So please let me know if you have any 85-86 Nautique parts.
Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
nautique frk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2005 at 1:21am
Keith , Congrats on the silver nautique consider your self a lucky man !!!!
I have a small fleet of correct crafts but you have found the diamond in the rough !!!
Good luck !! hope to see it on the site soon !!!
Did I say you are a lucky man !!!!
Nautique frk
NAUTI84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NAUTI84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2005 at 3:45pm
Keith,
NICEEEE!
I saw that one last week and figured you'd be jumping on it! Maybe I'll see it on a local lake this summer. Best of luck with it!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic