Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Speedometer

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Mike View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Speedometer
    Posted: November-04-2003 at 12:52pm
I have a 1975 Mustang that has the old single speedometer pitot. It's solid brass, mounted forward of where the drive shaft passes through the hull of the boat.

It works great with my Airguide speedo when I'm going over 20 mph. Often, however, when I first start out, the speedo reads '0' until I hit about 20 mph, then it jumps to the right speed. If I then slow down below 20 mph it will read all the way down to 5 mph accurately.

What is the problem? I removed it and cleaned it very well at the beginning of last season but I can't do that every time out. I've thought about replacing it with a typical stern mount pitot but I'm not excited about filling in the hole for the old pitot and I'd rather keep the boat as original as possible.

With that said, having the speedo accurate sub 20 mph is critical for kneeboarding, tricking and wakeboarding.

I'd appreciate any help you could offer.

-Mike
SS-201 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SS-201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2003 at 9:00am
Call 407-851-1965 ask for Woody or Art, they can help.
SS 201
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2003 at 2:51pm
On the topic of gauges, has anyone had experience restoring an old Airguide Tach? If so, details would be appreciated!
tryan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2003 at 5:33pm
i researched restoring the old airguides speedos last year and i ended up posting the guys email on the now defunked forum on skidim. call richard and see if they archived the old file somewhere. i can look on the old laptop, but i'm sure it's gone.

my speedos are 4 color faces, so the restoration guy said more than two colors where beyond his capabilities. how many colors are are on your tach?

type in airguide on ebay. there are always a few vintage speedos and tachs.

my teleflex tach just kinda petered out at 3k. that cost me a #8 bearing.

i emailed richard at skidim. i will post if he can find the guys email. it was like 40 bucks to clean one up. not bad

Edited by tryan
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2003 at 9:08pm
Thanks! Sorry to hear about the bearing...
The speedo in my 65 barracuda works pretty well- It had a pin hole in the copper line a couple years ago causing the gauge to read very low and water to enter the bilge area.I cut out a section of copper and used compression fittings to attach the new copper line in place. Now the speedo works accurately when it works, which is intermittent-
tryan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2003 at 5:04am
installing a new speedo in the old housing works.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic