NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1989 Dash Panel

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Jtonor1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jtonor1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1989 Dash Panel
    Posted: December-07-2009 at 2:07am
I am trying to do some upgrades to my 89 SN and the dash panel is something I can do on my own. I saw one that a guy had redone on the 2001.com so that got me started. I removed the panel about a week ago it was in bad shape broken up into 4 pieces one i got it scanned I used the image and measurements from the pieces and drew it up in AutoCAD then added some graphics from the reference section. I bought a piece of black acrylic to cut the dash panel out of but before I cut it I the final one I did a test on a piece of chipboard. I wanted to get your feedback of any ideas or suggestion ya'll might have. I am planning on changing the font of the labels so I am open to suggestions there and I am also considering cutting it out of teak.   - Thanks Lou

old panel

test panel

Chopper View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2009 at 5:21am
I like it.

How did you print it.?

I would relocate the stereo head unit to the glove box though.

That's probably why the original pannel broke in the first place.

Jtonor1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jtonor1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2009 at 5:47am
I did it on a laser cutter, the factory position of the stereo was in that in the dash. The previous owner cut the dash for the radio with a dremel or a chop saw not really sure but it was poorly done and I'm sure 21 years in the sun didn't hurt. i'm pretty set on keeping the radio in the dash for now but if were to crack after I remade it I would move it to the glove box and get a wired remote for the dash   
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2009 at 6:30am
I think teak would be one hell of a one off. Think I've got some teak that might work if you need it.
...those who have fallen and those who will.
Jtonor1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jtonor1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2009 at 6:40am
There is a piece of teak that I can get at west marine for $15 but it might be a little small. How big is the piece you have I could buy it from you when we drive to Florida. I am leaning toward teak but I already bought the black acrylic so I am going to use it but having one of each would be cool!
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2009 at 7:47am
I bought it to replace part of my platform on my 98'. I want to say it is 2"x6"x32". I kept it for a "just in case".
...those who have fallen and those who will.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2009 at 8:27am
Looks fantastic but I'd go with the black plastic lettered white. The Teak is going to look great at first but then we all know it requires periodic maintenance. It will be a real PITA to clean and oil it. Also, the paint for the letering probably won't stick to the Teak very long even though it's in the grooves.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2009 at 9:12am
There is a old thread here some where about the dash panels. I made mine out of white polycarbonate sheet (lexan very tough). Then covered it in black vinyl with the lettering cut out on it allowing the white to come through. I think I downloaded a adobe illustrator file of the dash template and converted it from 2001.com.

Then covered in a heavy clear vinyl. I also mounted the radio in the dash and have had no problems the lexan is much stronger than the original plastic plate. Replaced the indicator lights with leds also as original ones were brittle and crumbling from UV exposure.

If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
Jtonor1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jtonor1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2009 at 2:12pm
Lewy yours looks great I couldn't find any files on the2001 but i took the idea or the 3 lines from there
stimie02 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stimie02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2009 at 4:31pm
It really looks great. Would you consider making one and selling it to me. I would be interested in one without the radio cut out. I also have an '89 where the dash was cracked in a few places when I bought it. I replaced it with a piece of lexan that I cut at home but was not satisfied with the end result. If you can produce another one that would be great. Thanks ---- Bro Stimie
Bro Stimie
Jtonor1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jtonor1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2009 at 1:10am
I found a font I liked for the labels and changed it up graphically a little then cut it this afternoon.

Hopefully I will get it installed soon!
Chopper View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2009 at 1:20am
Looks great.!

So is that lettering / graphic etched into the acrylic or are they stick on decals.?
Jtonor1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jtonor1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2009 at 1:50am
it is all etched into the acrylic
bigwavedave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigwavedave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2009 at 1:03pm
give me a call i have a 88 that needs a dash dave 8159531823
bigwavedave
Jtonor1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jtonor1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2009 at 4:46pm
Bro Stimie and Dave I cant make either of you a dash panel the equipment i'm using belongs to the university I go to and they frown on using it for personal projects and it would be unethical to use their equipment for personal gain, plus I really don't have the money to front the cost to make another one I'm a poor college student. However I would be happy to send you the file I drew up in a dwg or pdf formant and you can do the leg work and find a place in your area that can cut it out.
gn6027 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gn6027 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2009 at 10:01pm
That looks really good!!!

I'd be interested in the dwg file (norrisl*grange@hotmail.com) to see how close it would be to my '87.

Our local community college has a Fab Lab where they have some small scale CNC equipment (http://www.lorainccc.edu/Academic+Divisions/Engineering+Technologies/Fab+Lab/), that I think is available for use by citizens (or maybe students) of the county. Obviously, some usage rules must apply.

They had a demo trailer at our county fair this summer, and it had a laser that was cutting out key fobs out of 1/16" clear plastic. The bed might have been large enough to cut out this dash panel.

Thus, don't give up too easily, you might find what you need at a local community college or university.

Or, look for a job shop that has a laser for cutting sheet metal.

Thanks!
Glen
Jtonor1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jtonor1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2009 at 12:37am
Hey Glen I'm Happy to share what I have created, it should be a close match if not exact for your 87.
gn6027 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gn6027 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2009 at 10:56am
Something happened to my email address in my post. An * was inserted instead of a lower case a. It should be Norrisl*grange@hotmail.com.

Thanks!
gn6027 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gn6027 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2009 at 10:57am
What gives, it did it again????
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2009 at 3:04pm
Here you go glen...

norrisl.grange@hotmail.com

Lou...
Can you tell me what fonts you used on the dash?
woodyelc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodyelc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2009 at 12:45pm
I have OEM dash panels in stock with out radio cutouts. Please call me if interested. 407-851-1965
woodyelc
82 Nautique 1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82 Nautique 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2009 at 6:41pm
Woody,

Do you have a dash panel with Radio cut out for a 1988 ?

Is the 1987 and 1988 diferent.

Thanks

Dennis
Original Owner " Dennis"

1982 Nautique
Jtonor1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jtonor1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2009 at 12:31am
storm34 I used KaiTi in autocad 2008 italised it decreased the spacing around the I's, however when i tried to find the font it comes up as a chinese characters. I had a lot of trouble with it because it seams to only be on the windows side of my computer. To get it to transfer from computer to computer in cad i had to plot it as a pdf and open it in adobe illustrator then export it back into cad. Glen i still dont have your email right but if you email me at Jtonor1@tigers.lsu.edu i will reply back with the files. -Lou
woodyelc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodyelc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2009 at 12:51pm
82 Nautique 1 The panel is the same for 88/89. We only had them remade with out radio because people were putting the radio in the glove box. Thanks
woodyelc
Jtonor1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jtonor1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2009 at 8:24am
Is it just me or shouldn't people try and sell thing in the "Boat Parts For Sale" forum?
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2009 at 9:46am
Lou yes that is the case normally. But Woody has more knowledge about these old CC's than almost anybody else. I think he has helped out lots of people on this site.
He may not be right up on Internet Forum etiquette but he has a get out of Jail card on this site everywhere.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
The Godfather View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Godfather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2009 at 9:56am

You are so right, when Woody talks people listen....
Jtonor1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jtonor1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2009 at 3:03pm
cool I was just wondering, not trying to make waves
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2009 at 6:50am
The mailman rang at my door this morning... He had a late Christmas present for me... My new dash panel!!!

Thanks Woody!!
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

sfish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2011 at 1:29am
I'm after a new dash panel for 1989 SN, saw your post, realize it's from some time ago, but was hoping you could help. Many thanks.

89SN2001
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic