NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Show me your garage

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 7891011 12>
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2010 at 4:24pm
Joel,
The infloor as well as the loop through the side arm domestic hot water is from a natural gas boiler. It's wall hung 97% efficiency microprocessor controlled. I decided to let the plumber pick the brand since he's got first hand experience with them and if anything goes wrong, he'll need to deal with it. I wish I remembered the brand but will find out. I had spec'd a Weil Maclain Ultra II but they are up there in cost. He's got one of these boilers he's installing in his own house so if he's got one, I figured it will be good!! It will be interesting to see the heating costs but feel it will be resonable due to the amount of insulation.

Are you planning a project or have one in progress?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
67425ks View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67425ks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2010 at 10:39pm
Pete
To answer your question, both. I built a house with an attached garage and would like to build a nice shop in the future. I am not sure how near in the future it will be so I have to be content with watching yours and some friends shops go up and take notes on what I want.

I zip tied tubes to my mesh before I poured my floor in my basement and my garage with no intent of using them right away if ever, but I insulated the floor and foundation anyways so what's a few more bucks to add tubing before I pour. Lately I have been thinking about hooking them up in the garage before winter, but am not sure what I want to heat water with. I could buy flow center and run them through my geothermal heat pump, but I don't want to tax it that hard.     Gas is not an option since I don't have any. Electric would work, but resistance heat is not cheap. That leaves wood, and I haven't researched wood fired boilers enough to have an opinion.

Keep up the good work.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2010 at 8:53am
Joel,
Did anyone do any BTU calculations on the heat pump? Even if the system was installed with "educated guessing", you should be able to dig up the specs and run the figures to see if there is enough capacity to hook up the garage. Is there a electric back up on the system? Has it ever come on in real cold weather?

"Taxing" a system? They work at the highest efficiency when run at full capacity!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
67425ks View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67425ks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2010 at 1:04pm
pete
a supply house in town calculated the load at 2.5 tons. i pruchased a 2to4 ton unit (two stage compressor) that also heats my water. in the summer heat for the water is a byproduct of cooling the house so hot water in the summer is relatively free. in the winter it heats the water for the house the same way it heats the house. since it is a closed loop geothermal (or ground source as some call it) my concern is droppong the temperature in my vertical loops too much and making the entire system less efficient. one option would be to drill a couple more 200' holes and see if someone sells a geothermal boiler.

as far as wood goes, i have plenty of hedge (osage orange), there isnt a wood that burns hotter but contrary to popular belief it is not free when you add up gas, chainsaws, wear and tear on your pickup and trailer, and your time. i have no idea how to come up with a good number on what that is worth though.

let me know how your system works when you fire it up, i would imagine there is not a more comfortable heating system.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2010 at 8:56pm
Joel,
If the supply house did the calculations, there's plenty of "safety factor" added on. They aren't noted to do decent detailed R or U factor losses. Most will just go by the square footage of a heated/cooled space. The formulas are available on line for wall, ceilings, windows, etc. I'd do some measuring and calculating but I'll bet you will come up with plenty of capacity to add on the garage. Do you have any thermometers on the system? If so, what was the coldest temp last winter returning from the well. This too can be used as how much capacity is available.

I agree with the wood routine!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
67425ks View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67425ks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2010 at 5:48pm
pete,
just to clear it up in case we arent on the same page, i dont have an open loop system (pump and dump) that uses well water. i have a closed loop system which consists of 4 200' holes that i drilled and installed a 3/4" poly loop in each hole and grouted the hole shut. the loops are trenched together into a header and brought inside to a flow center that feeds into the geothermal unit. i would guess that in the dead of winter, you might see a 15-20 deg. drop in temp (normally its around 58) this system heats/cools an 1800 sq. ft. house and provides all of my hot water.
i did some reserch last night and called a knowlegable contact i have in kansas city and he pointed me towards a water to water geothermal heat pump made by Florida Heat Pump. this unit will cost in the ball park of $2000 and i am able to drill holes and install loops for about $350 per 200' hole (that is cost of materials and fuel). according to my scratch pad and barely ledgible numbers i have written down, it will cost me in the ball park of $4000 to have a system like this in my garage. that will put a huge damper on purchasing a CC winter boat project. i will have to decide if i want to be warm with nothing i want to work on, or have a boat and freeze to death. choices.

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2010 at 1:11am
You could get yourself a wood CC and use the old wood you replaced for heat

Joel I'm curious about the hole drilling. Are you able to do that yourself? If not that must be expensive,but I'm facinated with the idea of heating this way.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
67425ks View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67425ks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2010 at 3:25am
Gary,
You got my wheels turning. I could heat my garage with bayliners. It's cheap heat and I could do my part to rid this country of eye soars.
In my neck of the woods a 200' heat loop will cost you around $2000, I just happen to have access to a couple of rigs and only pay for materials for the loops. That seems like a lot of money but there are some government incentives that take the hurt off of running geothermal systems. Some electric companies even have some incentives to install a geothermal unit. There are other alternatives to installing vertical loops though. You can trench the loops in or you can run a open loop system (pump and dump) . An open loop system is where younuse a water well provided the water is fitnto run through a heat exchanger.
I installed my geothermal system from start to finish and have been very pleased with it. I would recommend it to anyone who wants a cost efficient no hassle hvac unit.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2010 at 9:43am
Joel,
I'm on the same page and have been since you first posted.

The reason I asked about the lowest temp you are getting out of the ground is due to you having the closed loop.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2010 at 12:57pm
I just got word from up north that the attic insulation was blown in yesterday. 18" of blow in fiberglass and a little extra over the dust collection ductwork should keep in the heat! The drywall taping is almost done but slowed due to no heat yet. The GC wants to get all the drywall finished and painted before the plumber starts with hanging all the valves and boiler on the walls. In the mean time he cranked up a "torpedo".

I'll be heading up in a couple of weeks to do some compressed air, dust duct and the lighting PLC trim out. I'll get some more pictures.

These long "dry spells" of not even seeing pictures are killing me!! (no Charlie or Mark to send me any!!)

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2010 at 10:11pm
I just returned from a 4 day work weekend trimming out the shop. I didn't get as much done as anticipated but that always seems to be the case with me. I should know by now that when I estimate the hours needed, I need to triple the figure!

I wrote my last check to the GC! The plumber has some more work setting up the boiler and the excavator needs to spread some top soil (up there, it's dark sand ) on the lake and neighbors sides then throw some seed around.

I got the shutters on:

The bunk hose got a makeover to match the shop - paint, shutters and metal roof:

Cabinets/workbench and counter top is set. Base, crown and wire pulls are next (the pulls are one thing I didn't get to!) The red strobe light on the ceiling is the dust collector full drum indicator.

I started on trimming out the compressed air but didn't get the hose reels hung.

Blast gates and ductwork at the walls will be a Christmas - New Years project. The electrician started hanging the 16 florescent light fixtures:

The one fixture:

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
The Godfather View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Godfather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2010 at 10:25pm

Man, I could live in that bad boy...

Very nice !!!
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2010 at 10:40pm
Very nice, Pete. One day I hope to have a shop like that
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)
LaurelLakeSkier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaurelLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2010 at 10:50pm
Looks great! A lot of progress since Labor Day and the cabinets look even better in the shop than they did in the crates.
The world is full of youth—what we need is a fountain of smart!
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2010 at 11:17pm
Pete,
The shop is looking GREAT!!!!! So everything from here on is up to you?    
Gotta be hard knowing how nice it is- with it being so far away.

Mannnn, Im even jealous!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2010 at 9:18am
Steve,
Those cabinets are fantastic!! The GC and his crew has only used HK one other time and they commented multiple times on the quality and construction.

We did run into one problem with the vanity cabinet. I should have given them a extra 1/2" to play with between the wall and stub wall. The top of the stub wall is fine but the bottom is kicked (less room) out of plumb. It looks like the plumber did some "rearranging" when he roughed in his plumbing into the wall. The wall will not move so it must be tight against the piping. They need to do some "heavy" scribing on both sides - half of the ply too!!! They pulled out the power planer with the bad blades to handle the staples!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Brady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2010 at 9:34am
Pete,
The shop looks great! congrats. I can't wait to see it. I will stop by next weekend when I close up.
Charlie
Three Lakes, Wisconsin
69 Barracuda
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2010 at 11:18am
That is done right!
connorssons View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2010 at 11:58am
Shop looks great love the detail on the outside.
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2010 at 12:24pm
Pete, thanks for the compliment on the cabinets, Thats why they have been our main line for the last 20 years.

Where did the butcherblock tops come from? I assume someone in that area?
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2010 at 1:25pm
Steve,
The butcher block tops are John Boos. They have been around since something like the late 1880's! They sell through distributors but these were made and shipped out of Effingham Il. Google John Boos and they have a "distributor finder". BTW, these are there standard line where all the center wood is finger joined. Their premium with solid lengths in the center were considerably more in cost!!

Thanks for all everyone's on the project.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Sephmu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sephmu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2010 at 1:42pm
Dreamy!
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2010 at 2:02pm
Pete,
I'm familiar with John Boos... good stuff. I just figured there might be someone local in the "north woods" that did them. Are you going to cut plywood protectors to use at the work areas to help keep them from getting beat up?

I have laminate tops on mine and it does help.
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2010 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Looks great Pete, need to be careful or your never get things done with all the CCF guys hanging out there. I think we have the first CCF lodge meeting hall just trying to think where best to put the sign, I do think the sleeping quarters look a bit to cozy for all the guys

Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2010 at 7:13pm
Pete, Nice shop! I especially like the trusses exposed under the roof overhangs, nice touch. I am jealous that I only have one wall sheetrocked, and only 1/2 of mine insulated but then it's only been standing for 13 years. Once you start filling them up its hard to get around to finishing. Someday...
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2010 at 7:18pm
Pete that is amazing. I never heard of/saw compressed air out of the wall like that. And the cabinets are nicer than what's in most people's houses. No wonder Quinner relabeled your plans. Like I said before, when it's your wife's turn to fix up the house, you're in big trouble.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2010 at 9:40pm
Bruce,
She's already commented on the cabinets when they came in back in July. It went something like this: Those cabinets are nicer that the ones you picked out for my kitchen at home!!

The compressed air in the wall was one of the things I made to keep the "clutter" down. My garage/shop here at home I lined all the walls with pegboard and it's become just a "catch all"! I can't stand it so my intention is to get everything put away in cabinets or the storage room. I'm in the process of making thin vertical pegboard "pull outs" for the tall utility cabinets - long items like bar clamps. My next problem will be remembering where I put things!! I'll need to make myself sort of a index/directory/map!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2010 at 11:09pm
Pete,
Im with you on the pegboard...nothing hangs on my shop walls either. Thats part of the reason I drywalled mine... cant put nails in it either.

As for keeping track of where tools areat, I suppose writing on the door with a magic marker is out of the question!?!?

64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2010 at 11:26pm
The cabinets looks nice, but how do you remember which one is where you put it.
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2010 at 11:40pm
Bruce,
I have a lot of my tools in my cabinetry(not as many cabinets as Pete has)...the rest in two tool boxes, none of the drawers/doors are marked. The regularly used stuff is easy, Once in a while I do open a drawer or two to get some of the lesser used tools. I just blame old age.
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 7891011 12>
  Share Topic