Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

OK, I give up........

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Shaughn View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shaughn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: OK, I give up........
    Posted: May-03-2005 at 4:05am
Ok, how on earth do I remove the ski pole from an early 80's Ski Nautique 179? It's been bent slightly rearward, presumably from towing something other than a skier. We want to get it out, straighten it properly in a press and then polish it as the whole boat is undergoing a restoration. I have the 4 large clamping bolts out plus the small one that goes through the base.
Thanks, Shaughn.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2005 at 12:49pm
Should come on out. BTW, I think the bend in the pole is intentional. It is with my '77 Martinique.
Shaughn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shaughn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2005 at 1:11pm
That's why I like to ask lots of questions!! Bye the way, it does not want to budge. I was concerned it was threaded at the bottom, but it won't even turn. The next step will be the 30 tonne jack treatment from the marine engineer who is doing most of the rebuild. This thing rips commercial ferry props straight off etc, I just would like to know if there's anything else holding the sod on!
Thanks, Shaughn.
scomer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scomer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2005 at 1:29pm
The pole is supposed to be bent from the factory. The pole should be bent to match the contour of the motor cover. Atleast that is the case on my 78 SN
SCOMER
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2005 at 2:08pm
Shaughn, I do not know how your pole is fastened to your boat but generally speaking I think you should not rely soley on the application of a lot of steady force, like that from a jack, to try remove the pole. I think you risk damaging your boat.

I have always had better results removing stuck parts by applying wraps from some sort of hammer. Mechanically, the peak amount of force applied by hitting object with a hammer can greatly exceed the force applied by a steady pulling device like a jack and will more likely break loose the corrosion or burrs holding the pole in place. Even though the peak force applied by a hammer will exceed the peak force of a steady-force pulling device, the force from the hammer will be transmitted through the stuck part into the hull as a vibration of sort.

In fact the best approach would be to apply a limited amount of steady pull combined with a hammering action. This is the same proceedure recommended when pulling a prop ("tighten the prop puller and hit the end of the prop nut with a hammer").

Now if it was me, I would also apply heat to the pole around the stuck area but I do not want to recommend anyone do that because of the gasoline fumes that may be present and the fact that you could set fire to your boat. I would vent the area around the engine with a fan and cover everything else around the pole area with soaking wet towels while heating the pole at the stuck area. The tricky thing here is that it will take a large flame and a lot of heat beceause you would have to heat the pole quickly to avoid setting your boat on fire. I would do it but I would never recommend anyone else try such a crazy thing. (And I would never do this to anyone else's boat because they would probably get really angry if I set their boat on fire.)

Another option would be to get a disk grinder and grind away the pole at the stuck area.

Can you insert something like an iron pipe in the pulling ring and bang upward with a large hammer?

Let us know what happens.

Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
Shaughn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shaughn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2005 at 9:35pm
Thanks Jim, I had been doing exactly as recommended - applied some force with a jack and a chain and belted you-know-what out of the base area but not having much luck yet. No problem with heat, the pole is the last thing inside the boat, no engine, seats, tank, nothing. I'll let you know how I go.
Shaughn.
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2005 at 12:55am
Since you are doing that much work on the boat I would grind it off with a disk wheel and get a new pole. (Forget the pole and worry about the hull.)
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2005 at 5:11pm
I am going to guess that the pin at the bottom of the pole is rusted to the cup. Try penetrating oil for several days and then heat and tap the base of the pole with a hammer to try and break it free. Inspect the pole carefully and make sure you did not overlook a fastener.
Rosser View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rosser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2005 at 7:43pm
There is a pin thru the pole at very bottom that holds it in.Or a bolt.Take it out first.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic