Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GT 40 Horsepower

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Dtaylor373 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dtaylor373 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GT 40 Horsepower
    Posted: October-13-2009 at 7:51pm
In 1998 what was the HP of the GT40 351
David T
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2009 at 8:04pm
The "GT40" was the multiport EFI PCM HO 351w and was always rated at 310hp (it was available 95-02). Its not to be confused with the carb and TBI versions of the HO 351w (which had GT40 heads), which were rated anywhere from 285 to "300+".
Dtaylor373 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dtaylor373 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2009 at 8:07pm
Thanks, for the help. Looking at a 98 Ski open bow, GT40 was not sure of the HP.
David T
Socially Distorted View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Socially Distorted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2009 at 3:29am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

The "GT40" was the multiport EFI PCM HO 351w and was always rated at 310hp (it was available 95-02). Its not to be confused with the carb and TBI versions of the HO 351w (which had GT40 heads), which were rated anywhere from 285 to "300+".

New here. Looking at my first boat and am trying to do my homework before diving into a purchase.

What is the general feeling of the carb'd 351 engines that came in the late 90's boats? Do they have any pros or cons over the GT40 power plant?
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2009 at 3:38am
Socially Distorted,

The GT-40 in my opinion and of most was a great poweplant! It is still sought after today. Much, much better than the carbed motors that recently proceeded it. They are a very strong motor. If I was going to by another older boat that would be the first feature I would look for. Also, welcome to the sight and if you get a chance update your profile witha name and location.
...those who have fallen and those who will.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2009 at 12:31pm
The GT40 was a great motor- not sure Id say it was "much better" than the carb'd 351w's that preceeded it though. Im not a huge fan of the Protec ignition system, but otherwise the carb'd engines were very good as well.

The carb'd 351w's of the late 90's should be bulletproof. They'll be down a few hp to the GT40 and wont start as nice as multiport EFI, but they're a bit simpler and perform great. Protec was gone by then, so no issues there. If you find the right boat with a carb'd engine, Id jump on it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic