Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stiff Steering on ’90 Ski Nautique

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Rufus Sanders View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rufus Sanders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stiff Steering on ’90 Ski Nautique
    Posted: April-28-2005 at 1:27pm
Hey All,

I just picked up a '90 Ski Nautique (from another CCfan member) and I find the steering to be a little too stiff for control with one hand. I've replaced the steering cable on my previous boat a couple of times, but on that boat ('85 American Skier Advance) the cable had larger bend radius in it and actually entered the helm from the passenger side . It steered extremely easily and you could spin the steering wheel.

The cable on the CC enters the helm from the drivers side and takes a quick tight 90 degree bend before it heads down under the floor. My questions are:

1) Does anyone have a '90 SN with super easy steering, and if so did a cable change result in the easy steering?

2) Could the tighter bend radius cause the stiffer steering, and if so has anyone solved this problem with a cable re-route or length change?

Thanks,

R.C. Sanders
nates78ski View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2005 at 2:40pm
The radius of the bend in the steering cable is critical to stiffness in the steering. Any thing less than 12"-14" radius is asking for stiffness & premature wear. If you have a rotary rack rear you can position the cable on the other side no problem. If you have a flat rack that may take some more work. I have worked on boats for a long time and have found boat bulders do not always follow the cable manufactures recommendations.
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

<a href="http://photobucket.com/Nates78ski" rel="nofoll
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic