Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Boat dilemma? 206 VS 216

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
philippebt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philippebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boat dilemma? 206 VS 216
    Posted: October-12-2009 at 10:39pm
Hi,

I'm looking to buy a used nautique and I want to have your opinion

I found 2 boats:

- A 2006 - 216 with some option in (tower, perfect pass, heater …) and it has 300 hours on, for $35,000

- A 2009 – 206 with everything + (tower, zero cruise, heater, tower speaker tower, hydrogate sport shift …) and it has only 30 hours for $40 000

Does the 5000 of difference worth it?

I’m looking for a slalom boat first, but we do wakeboard and wakesurf too

What do you think?

Thanks

Philippe
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2009 at 11:47pm
I would jump on the '09!
...those who have fallen and those who will.
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2009 at 2:47am
Going to be very difficult to wakesurf a 206 -dangerous in my opinion. 206 is a much better slalom boat, however. 206 is also more nimble in its handling.

216 is a very good, not great slalom boat. Good not great wakeboard boat. I have seen guys surf the 216. Would make me nervous to load it up that much, but I've seen it done. BKH
Livin' the Dream

SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2009 at 1:48pm
Which motors do they have? I'd consider the longer length of warranty that you'll have w/ the '09.
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2009 at 2:05pm
A buddy of mine just got a 2005 air nautique 206 with 550 hours for 23k. Boat was in good condition. Not sure the new ones are built quite as well as the old ones. It was on ebay and didnt get any bids, and the guy really needed to sell it. I think he took a beating as he only had it for two years. There are some deals out there, dont be afraid to lowball.
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2009 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by emccallum emccallum wrote:

A buddy of mine just got a 2005 air nautique 206 with 550 hours for 23k. Boat was in good condition. Not sure the new ones are built quite as well as the old ones. It was on ebay and didnt get any bids, and the guy really needed to sell it. I think he took a beating as he only had it for two years. There are some deals out there, dont be afraid to lowball.

Was it a Air Natique, or was it a SN206 w/ the "AIR" graphics. Big difference in the hull.
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2009 at 2:31pm
I am pretty sure it is a 206 with Air graphics and a Flight control tower. I do know it has a GM motor, walk thru bow, and ballast tank. My apologies, I really dont know the post 2000 boats very well! I can find out for sure if you want to know.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2009 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by SN206 SN206 wrote:

Was it a Air Natique, or was it a SN206 w/ the "AIR" graphics. Big difference in the hull.

There was no such thing as an "Air Nautique" hull in '05... it was just a graphics package. They offered it on everything from the 206 on up.
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2009 at 4:06pm
hahaha, I was right by ignorance!
philippebt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philippebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2009 at 4:07pm
the 216 i'm not shure about the motor i have to check back in my file (I think it is a 330 PCM) but the 206 is a 343 PCM ex 5.7 liters

Is it a good motor (the 343)?

it will be my first ski boat I just sold my bayliner 185! so it will be a huge upgrade!

Thanks for your answers!!
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2009 at 4:48pm
The 330 and 343 are pretty much the same motor, both are the Excalibur's 350 Chevy Block w/EFI, they bumped the HP up in 06' or 07' with some mods.

I am with TRBenj on the above, all 206's have the same hull, TSC 2 or 3 depending on year, believe the same would be true with the 216 as well.

Have about 300+ hrs on my Excalibur, so far so good!

If it was me I would be all over the 206 after pounding them a bit on the price.
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2009 at 5:53pm
Dont think that Ballast was ever offered with a 206. The 206 has the same hull bottom from the steering wheel back as the 02-05 Ski Nautique . From the Steering wheel forward is where the 206 got it's length.
The 206 is a very nice slalom boat provided that it is with out a tower, Start adding towers and racks and speakers it becomes a good family all around ski boat.
The 216 has rather large wakes for slalom and small wakes for wakeboarding. It is another run of the mill nice inboard boats but does not have anything but adaquate wakes for skiing or boarding.
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2009 at 6:06pm
According to the reference section, in 2005 they offered a 206 Air Nautique TSC2 hull with a tower and optional ballast. that is what my friend just purchased.

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/reference/2005_brochure/index.asp?page=28
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2009 at 6:11pm
Originally posted by philippebt philippebt wrote:

Hi,

I'm looking to buy a used nautique and I want to have your opinion

I found 2 boats:

- A 2006 - 216 with some option in (tower, perfect pass, heater …) and it has 300 hours on, for $35,000

- A 2009 – 206 with everything + (tower, zero cruise, heater, tower speaker tower, hydrogate sport shift …) and it has only 30 hours for $40 000

Does the 5000 of difference worth it?

I’m looking for a slalom boat first, but we do wakeboard and wakesurf too

What do you think?

Thanks

Philippe

There is a nice 206 with ZR6 on PN for $27K.

Tim

quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2009 at 6:11pm
Actually Jody the 206 was available with ballast, believe they really refer to it as a trick tank, single tank of about 200lbs, the 216 was available with (2) tanks of about 200lbs each.

The 206 tank is in the trunk so you lose about half the depth of the trunk area when equipped with a tank.

No question the 206 is weight sensitive, with regards to the slalom wake, ours being the "heavy" version we typically try to carry minimal fuel and only 1 passenger whenever slaloming for the best wake.
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2009 at 6:19pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Actually Jody the 206 was available with ballast, believe they really refer to it as a trick tank, single tank of about 200lbs, the 216 was available with (2) tanks of about 200lbs each.

The 206 tank is in the trunk so you lose about half the depth of the trunk area when equipped with a tank.

No question the 206 is weight sensitive, with regards to the slalom wake, ours being the "heavy" version we typically try to carry minimal fuel and only 1 passenger whenever slaloming for the best wake.

Yep! Your right! I remember that now! It did not do a whole lot as we were trying to quell the trickers as they were on the war path over the crappy trick table that the 196 and 206 produced. I still have the T-shirt with the target on the back from the 03 Nationals!!!LOL
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2009 at 6:23pm
Quinner,
off topic a bit, but haveyou had any problems with the speed sensor in your 206? The speedometor in my friends wasnt working and I narrowed it down to the sensor itself. Ordered a new one ($80). All tests seemed to point to a bad sensor. What prop are you using? Thanks!
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2009 at 8:26pm
Is your friends a Team or Limited edition? If so the pickups read into the Faria gateway box in the trunk which digitally sends the speed to the gauge. Believe a Signature may be different. Have not had a problem other then I would recommend if he has a gateway box to disconnect the pitot lines at the gateway to ensure they drain when winterizing, they are supposed to self drain however they did not the first year I put the boat up and the water transferred into the circuit board and fried it. Still running the factory 4-Blade 422, the only other I would consider is the 3 blade, which I think is a 470??
Did your friend buy the Red 206 out of Alabama?
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2009 at 10:08pm
Yes, he bought that boat. Do you know any history on it? The aligment was off and I think it needs a new prop. Otherwise it appears ok. We are going to put my 470 on it and see how it runs. This boat doesnt have pitot lines. It has a thru hull paddlewheel sensor that mounts right around the front drain hole. I dont know if it is team or limited.
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2009 at 11:31pm
My 09' Team 206 has the tower and produces damn near the exact wake as the 196 if someone sets in the back, but again 40K for an '09 sounds good given certain options.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic