NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

WTB 1973 Century Resorter

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
Author
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2010 at 11:50am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by davidg davidg wrote:

I saw a '76 Century Resorter for sale today at Bell Marine on Hwy 13 in North Webster, IN. I pulled in to take a look at it.

Dave,
It sure seems that when you're out "working", you spend more time looking at boats!! The only person I know that exceeded your finds was a fellow ASCB member. He was a Milwaukee county sheriff and that uniform got him inside all the old barns!!!!

Well Pete, when you are in sales, it just means you aren't home hugging the base! Gotta get out and travel the highways and byways to see customers. Always come across some interesting things. Now aren't you glad I found that Master's Edition Nautique the other day? We can all sleep better knowing where it is now   
skicat2001 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2010 at 9:30pm
Originally posted by 62 wood 62 wood wrote:

Thought I'd post another pic of this since talking of Centurys .... This is the 68 Resorter my buddy ending up buying a couple of years ago from the original owner..

This pic is the first time the boat had been in the water in 6 years...

I've known of the boat for several years...took a while to "talk" the owner into letting go..... We are trying to verify, but PO said it is a 427 power.... either way...way cool boat!

Is there any of those left?
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2010 at 9:49pm
Lee,
How do you connect with Dave? When did you talk to him last? Muskatine Iowa isn't that close to Texas. BTW, I hate to tell you but the boat is old news. There's a complete thread on the rebuild/redecking.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2010 at 10:02pm
Pete,
I do not know Dave, just asking a question.. I grew up on those boats, and was wondering if any of those where left, just curious my friend...
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2010 at 10:25pm
Lee,
Wow did I ever screw up! I thought you posted the pictures but now see you quoted Steve. So sorry!

BTW, there are plenty of Century's around. As a ACBS member, and being around wood and early glass, Century's are number 2 behind Chris Craft.
Go to www.acbs.org and find the calender of events. See if there's a show close to you and make a point of going to see it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2010 at 11:37pm
No prob Pete.. You da man my friend..

I wish I had a scanner but do not, I have some great pics of me and the family back in the day in the Century Resorter. I am right now not financially sound or in shape to buy one, but I grew up on Resorters, they are a great inboard and have many memories.

In earlier post, yall where talking about fiberglass Resorters where just a expierment for a few years, and was lucky enough to ride in some as a kid. Harold and Ed, had 67 and 68's Resorters with fiberglass hulls, but mahogony trim. Must have been rare then, I had no clue as a kid.

Thanks Pete on letting me know on a show close by. I really apperciate that.. I will have to check that web site out and take a look. Thanks Pete..
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2010 at 2:42am
Lee,
I knew of the "inboard in the boathouse" for several years..You could see the underwater hardware from the river, but with the cover, never knew what it was.

Occasionally, I would drive by the house..stop once in a while and knock on the door...never any answer. Then one day , the owner was mowing the lawn. I stopped to talk to him. I asked about it, and he told me he had bought it new in 68. I asked it was for sale? "NOPE.. Its been 6 years , but Im going to get it in the water again"

Turns out I have seen the guy around, he would eat at a Thursday night buffet at a golf coarse across the road from where we live. Every time I would ask...get her wet yet? "Nope" ... You ready to sell her? ..."NOPE" This went on for a couple of years....THEN one spring day he said "Maybe"!

Well, it took over 6 months from that time to the point where Dave bought it.

so, they are out there... btw, the PO got a lot of flack from friends and family about selling it to a stranger. But Dave did the boat right!

64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2010 at 5:16pm
Steve,
Sounds about right.. I figure there are some hidden gems out there, people threw it in the ol barn and just leave it sitting. Those Resorters are a collectors item.
That would be my luck one day, find one when I get ready to buy one and a guy does not want to sell it. Even if you offered 5-6 k more than price. I grew up on those one's with the mahogony trim along the top, and the rest was fiberglass bottom.Well, just like that one there. What pretty boats..
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2010 at 2:42pm
Lee,
If you haven't found the ACBS chapter that covers Texas yet, I was just over on their site and used the chapter search. Texas is covered by the Southwest chapter. Here's a direct link to their site Looks like you just missed their big "keels and wheels" show. I've heard that it's a good one for boats but they have the cars too!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2010 at 3:06pm
Thanks Pete.. I apperciate the link there, I just checked it out, I did miss the "Keels and Wheels" recent show... Oh well, I keep searching, and thanks my friend..
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2010 at 8:06pm

jbregand View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbregand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2010 at 12:36pm
I have a 1973 Resorter HIN RV7389 which has a 440cid, 330hp engine. I have not had it in the water for 10yrs.
The cover I had on it developed holes and water seeped in. Also did the termites. Both side floors in the back and also part of the left stringer where it was not glassed (why I don't know) were attacked. It needs some work. I can't do it because of my back. Am interested in selling. It needs a lot of cleanup work.
It is RH rotation engine. I have 3 props: 14x15.5 (runs the engine rpm too high but pulls strong. top speed about 50), 14x16.5 (on the boat now and is great for all around running but. top speed is 60 @ 6000. boat likes to run at ~45. skiing at 42 is best.) , 14x18 (is original spec prop which makes the boat a little doggy. can't remember top speed but rpms is in the 4000s).
I have other stuff too.
Throttle/trans control was changed to single handle teleflex as the oem controls were too awkward. I believe that I still have the original stuff.
I had to change the gauges (used Teleflex gauges). The original ones weren't working.
Boat sits on a dual axle small tire size trailer. Tires have been stored uninflated inside during layup.
Talk if interested.
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2010 at 12:46pm
Jay,
Where do you live? Any pics? Idea of asking price?
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
jbregand View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbregand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2010 at 10:07pm
I don't care what they say, you just can't beat those old blocks and those years. This 440 is a real honker. It'll pull up a slolom in seconds.
The only pix I can dig up is with the boat in the water.
I am thinking that you want some on the trailer as it is now.
I don't know how to add a pix to this reply so you might want to contact me at my email address: jbregand@att.net
I still have to confirm with my two boys if they want a Winter project which requires room to move around. The engine won't have to come out for this work. As I was one of the founders of Elite Craft and outfitted the first one, I have the knowledge; but,I just don't have the room or pain-free back anymore. Plus, I hate the smell of fiberglass resin and fiberglass work in general. I say this because the left stringer would have to be sectioned (aft of the engine), replaced, and backed up with a long support stringer that would be hidden by the flooring.
Asking price is $3000. if my boys can't fit-in this project.
jbregand View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbregand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2010 at 3:01am
I forgot to mention that the trailer is an additional $500.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2010 at 9:52am
Originally posted by jbregand jbregand wrote:

I have a 1973 Resorter HIN RV7389 which has a 440cid, 330hp engine. 14x16.5 (on the boat now and is great for all around running but. top speed is 60 @ 6000.
I have other stuff too.
Throttle/trans control was changed to single handle teleflex as the oem controls were too awkward. I believe that I still have the original stuff.
I had to change the gauges (used Teleflex gauges). The original ones weren't working.

Skip,
That claim on the speed is pretty steep!! Maybe the speedo needs to be changed too??? Century's were always fast but I've NEVER seen or been in one that would do 60. 50 yes!!

Do you have the original gauges? They are reparable.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2010 at 9:56am
Originally posted by jbregand jbregand wrote:

As I was one of the founders of Elite Craft and outfitted the first one, I say this because the left stringer would have to be sectioned (aft of the engine), replaced, and backed up with a long support stringer that would be hidden by the flooring.

It's really too bad that the idea of a fake wood boat didn't go over too well.

Scabbing in a stringer? Not the proper repair. Besides, I'd say the termites have gotten farther than you can see.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jbregand View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbregand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2010 at 1:12pm
Well, you can't beat the wood look on the water.
Speed wise, I have 2 speedos onboard_2 analog with pitot tubes and 1 digital with rotating wheel pickup. I checked calib between two known points. Also ran with another boat.
I still have the original speedo which is not being used. Other gauges are gone.
The glass repair is what it is. Boat won't be factory fresh but runable.
Your boats look nice.
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2010 at 4:37pm
man if i could get 60 out of mine right now i would have a remake of the thresher
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
jbregand View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbregand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2010 at 2:31am
Exactly what boat are you talking about?
jbregand View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbregand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2010 at 3:24am
I agree with you in the negativity of the scabbing technique if a large area/affected length of original stringer is involved and would not do that even for a quick fix. However, if I can confirm that a small area/length of a single stringer (within 12 inches of stringer length) is affected and it is aft of the rear engine mount, then it could be considered an effective cure if the parallel bolted-in/glassed-in stringer is ~10x the length of the affected area. Otherwise, It would be prudent that the original stringer length in-total be replaced.
Thanks for your concern. I am in agreement.
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-24-2010 at 9:14am
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

kytom2 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kytom2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-25-2010 at 1:24am
There is a beautiful 1965 Century Resorter listed on ebay.
Item number: 140492698029
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-25-2010 at 9:03am
Originally posted by kytom2 kytom2 wrote:

There is a beautiful 1965 Century Resorter listed on ebay.
Item number: 140492698029

Link

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
rickco View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rickco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2011 at 12:10am
I'm considering selling my 1973 Century Resorter. Good project boat. No engine. Boat in good shape. Any ideas on it's worth?
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2011 at 11:56pm
do you have pics and details and location?
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
rickco View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rickco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2011 at 12:07am
I'll take photos tomorrow and post. Location is Grand Isle LA. That's on the coast. As far as I know the boat has been in storage for the past 30 years. Been used but in good shape. I should be able to post pictures around lunchtime tomorrow Tue.cst.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2011 at 2:56pm
I suspect the original poster is long gone, but this boat looks like it matches the description pretty well.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
  Share Topic