NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

WTB 1973 Century Resorter

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
Munday View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2010 at 9:48pm
Early 60s to mid 70s

Munday
If the only tool you have is a hammer,everything starts to look like a nail.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2010 at 10:01pm
Originally posted by storm34 storm34 wrote:

Very cool steve, Can't wait to see it! Does it have the upholstery on the deck?

Chris,
Yes, it does have the vinyl on the deck. Look at Steve's previous post with the pictures. The Century coming out of the boathouse is the same boat pictured with the deck removed. Very common problem with the deck under the vinyl rotting out - trapped water/moisture.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Keuka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keuka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2010 at 10:17pm
That's a nice looking Century. I don't see any foam in that boat.
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2010 at 11:36pm
Originally posted by storm34 storm34 wrote:

Very cool steve, Can't wait to see it! Does it have the upholstery on the deck?

Chris, Like Pete said..yep, its got a vinyl covered deck. I found some more pics of the boat...

Here's a pic with the boat just about back together....

this was taken at the Clear Lake Show...

Dash shot.....

Rear seat.... (btw, still has original upholstery)

And to think ..... Pam actually would have let me buy this one! LOL   Easy to see why!

64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2010 at 12:19am
Very cool Steve! Can't wait to see it in person. Do you guys make it up to the Clear Lake show as well?

I was pretty close to taking an internship with their chamber of commerce and would have been involved with putting it together! Got a few family friends up there, maybe I'll have to make it up this year!
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2010 at 12:51am
Have never made it to Clear Lake... I think it was the same weekend as GL last summer.

Unless GL gets changed to the weekend before, I think it will be the same weekend this summer as well.
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Munday View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2010 at 12:32pm
Those early resorters between all wood and all glass were known as "fibersports".They were and are very cool in my opinion.I saw one in texas that had been reworked to topside planking blonde deck w/white holly lines.My fathers had heel and toe foot throttle that stayed where you set it.Was a bit hard to make fine speed adjustments and he changed it to the veneer style push pull dash mount.It could get busy docking since you need three hands to shift,throttle and steer at the dock.The dash controlled bow vent was also a big plus on those hot ski days.These were the first boats I ever saw with center ski tow,standard procedure to clear rope off gas fill and scoops on rear deck before take off,my dad always pulled you up from about 30 degrees off center so he didn't have to worry about the rope.The things one photo will bring back to a hit and miss memory.All five of us snugglled in the front bench for a night ride or foul weather tucked in behind the wind screen.I sure am glad I was raised on the lake.

Munday
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2010 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by Munday Munday wrote:

These were the first boats I ever saw with center ski tow Munday

Earlier Century

For you 312 lovers, this one came with one!! Down angle Dearbomatic trans too!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2010 at 1:59pm
Pete, is that an early Monster tower too?!
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2010 at 2:48pm

My fathers had heel and toe foot throttle that stayed where you set it.Was a bit hard to make fine speed adjustments...
All five of us snugglled in the front bench for a night ride or foul weather tucked in behind the wind screen.I sure am glad I was raised on the lake.

Munday

These are exactly the experiences we have today with the Classic, Bob. Nicely said. Great memories for both of us.
Munday View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2010 at 5:07pm
Pete,I've never seen that ski tow rig on a boat but I have seen one hanging on the barn wall.Talk about disecting the cockpit.I don't think Mom would have been to keen on that one.We skied camped and lived on a 20'x20' dock that was anchored off shore.When we left the slip our boat was usually loaded to the gunnels with gear.We shared this dock with several of my Dads highschool buddies who built the dock together.The parents faded away to other pursuits and the kids stayed with the dock for years.Finnally the state shut down free floating docks now its in the marina with outboard power but its to slow to get back to the original spot.It did get me my best friend who I have a picture of us at his 3 yr old BD party.And we have lake cabins within a block of each other to this day,I might not even see him on a busy weekend but I know if I have problems he is right around the corner.

Munday

I think off topic may be the best area of this site!!!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2010 at 5:21pm

Pete,I've never seen that ski tow rig on a boat but I have seen one hanging on the barn wall.Talk about disecting the cockpit.
Munday

Bob,
Don't through that thing out!! They were factory options from Century. Yes, they sure weren't easy to get around or use ether!

When are you going to clean out that barn? With all the left over stuff from the marina in it, there's got to be plenty of valuable items in it!! You should connect up with the local ACBS chapter and see if they have a annual sell and swap meet.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Munday View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2010 at 4:43am
I don't know Pete,but it sure is fun to have the piece someone is looking for and see it get used in the right place again.If you ever see in your travels.I need a nice 2pcs glass windshield in the 78 inch range.And I think but can't prove it yet that the piece I Want/need is the right side of Hudson Hornet rear glass.I don't really throw out so the parts won't disappear.That tow rig finnally let the driver control.My Dad had a piece of stainless turned and slotted so he could run different rudder shpes.He wasn't happy with the dinky factory rudder at all.He figured out about what he wanted and bought as close as he could.We also hade center fin.
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2010 at 6:55am

Pete,I've never seen that ski tow rig on a boat but I have seen one hanging on the barn wall.Talk about disecting the cockpit.I don't think Mom would have been to keen on that one.We skied camped and lived on a 20'x20' dock that was anchored off shore.When we left the slip our boat was usually loaded to the gunnels with gear.We shared this dock with several of my Dads highschool buddies who built the dock together.The parents faded away to other pursuits and the kids stayed with the dock for years.Finnally the state shut down free floating docks now its in the marina with outboard power but its to slow to get back to the original spot.It did get me my best friend who I have a picture of us at his 3 yr old BD party.And we have lake cabins within a block of each other to this day,I might not even see him on a busy weekend but I know if I have problems he is right around the corner.

Munday

I think off topic may be the best area of this site!!!

Munday, what Lake are you refering to?
...those who have fallen and those who will.
Munday View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2010 at 12:56pm
We grew up at lake Murray.But the increase in traffic on the lake drove us to Eufaula in the mid 90s.We will be staying at murray this next weekend.Going to race the indoor flat track at Hardy Murphy Stadium friday night and saturday afternoon.I see your from Murray is that where you boat or do you live in Ardmore?

Munday
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2010 at 1:44pm
Our 58 Trojan had a similar ski tow set up. BKH
Livin' the Dream

SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2010 at 3:25pm

We grew up at lake Murray.But the increase in traffic on the lake drove us to Eufaula in the mid 90s.We will be staying at murray this next weekend.Going to race the indoor flat track at Hardy Murphy Stadium friday night and saturday afternoon.I see your from Murray is that where you boat or do you live in Ardmore?

Munday

I too grew up on a offshore dock that was refubished that now stays at the marina, and also stay at a cabin over by Marietta Landing. Do you know James Clifton?
Munday View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2010 at 4:11pm
No I don't know Mr. Clifton.Where was your dock located?Ours was in The cove north of group camp 3.We used to stay in Rock Tower RV park alot behind 1/4 mile pier.The old dock is still maintained by Steve Schuler but I haven't been to Murray in about 12 yrs.Looking forward to going down next weekend,but I heard a rumor that kids under 16 might not be able to race because of insurance so now thats up in the air will find out tomorrow.We used to drive up and eat breakfast if we had the funds by Marietta landing at it little dive called MOM and POPS the whole interior was covered in ball caps.My wife is telling me the kid at the marina was named James back when Ed had the marina.Have several buddies with houseboats that still call Murray home.

Munday
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2010 at 6:31pm
Dot sold Mom and Pops about that time and it has exchanged hands twice since then. Unfortunately it burnt to the ground last summer and the current owner had no insurance. Our cabin is just down the road from there. Our dock was just north of Marietta Landing, and would often have a blue and white striped canopy on it. Of course there was a '79 Nautique usually tied to it or running around that cove. I have met Steve a couple of times I believe. Did you say you had friends that have / had a cabin by the lake?
Munday View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2010 at 6:09pm
No we never had a cabin close,I remember the striped tarp.We also had 79 SN at that time blue and white it was Thomas's.I had my 61 ArenaCraft and then 69 Century Bucanneer.I bought my 92SN the last summer we called Murray home.Steve's son Steven now owns the Bucanneer and really has it nicely restored.

Munday
976marine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 976marine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2010 at 3:56pm
112motorsports, did you ever find the Century Resorter you were looking for? You mentioned that it was an 18 ft. Resorter but by the looks of it, I think that is a 16 foot Resorter. Below is a link for a 1972 Century 16ft, that is dark blue; I believe this boat is mis-labled as a 1972 and is really a 1971. The interior does not look original. If your boat was a 1973, it would have come in one of two color options. A baby blue hull with a marbled blue interior or a yellow hull and a coffee marbled interior. I have seen several 1973 Resorters, both in blue and yellow color combinations, most of them are 18ft. I also know of a 1973 Blue 18ft. Resorter on the lake where I boat. Let me know if you are interested in me helping you find the boat you are looking for. I can also send you a catalog photo of the 1973 Resorters (18ft & 16ft) to see if that is exactly what you are looking for.

http://www.antiqueboat.com/boatdetails/loug17C.aspx
skibumpmc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skibumpmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2010 at 9:37pm
I agree with you; I advised him not to paint. While the cost is a bit less, when you take in all the labor of removing hardware, interior, windshield, etc...You may as well gel coat it.

Keep it original ! ! !
73CenturyResorter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73CenturyResorter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2010 at 4:46am
Hello 112motorsports,

I randomly came across your posting while looking for pictures of blue Century Resorters like mine. Your post caught my attention as it said ’73 and I saw Angola, IN...which is close to where I live. I then read your full post and noticed that you said Gene Thompson sold the boat a few years ago and he was from Granger. You are not going to believe this but I own the boat you're talking about.   

I live in Indiana and purchased the boat in 2008 from my parent’s neighbor, who also lives in Indiana. He purchased the boat a few years before that. When I bought the boat from my parents neighbor, he gave me a copy of the old Certificate of Title. I just pulled it out of my filling cabinet and would you believe that the old title shows the owner as "Eugene P Thompson" of Granger Indiana.

Also, the registration number on the old title I have shows as IN 730 LU. That registration number matches the number on the boat in your picture AND what is currently on my boat. I’m positive it has to be the same boat. The boat is a '73 Blue Century Resorter as you mentioned, but it’s actually a 16', not an 18'.

How did you know that it was owned by Gene Thompson? Did you know him or do you know any other history about the boat. What year was that picture taken? Do you have any other pics you could send to me?

73CenturyResorter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73CenturyResorter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2010 at 4:59am
...112motorsports:

Also, here is a picture of the boat now. The interior was redone in white before I bought it, but I saw it before it was redone and it was blue or light/powder blue. Also, the strip was redone as some point.

Here
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2010 at 2:08pm
Thats a sexy boat!
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2010 at 2:25am
Sure is Chris. I could even get used to the color
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
112motorsports View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 112motorsports Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2010 at 6:03pm
976marine,
I just got into contact with the current owner of my old love affair the 73 Resorter. I would love to find one just like it as I doubt the current owner wants to part with it. I appologize this reply is so late but I haven't been keeping up with this as I would like to. Please email me and we can find a boat. Thanks again.

lukelipkaman@yahoo.com
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2010 at 1:02am
I saw a '76 Century Resorter for sale today at Bell Marine on Hwy 13 in North Webster, IN. I pulled in to take a look at it. Good looking boat. Thought it was a Correct Craft until I got closer. Too bad its not blue.

1976 Century Resorter
skicat2001 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2010 at 2:10am
Man yall talking Century Resorters.. Those are what gave me the inboard blood and drive to ownening one. I would love to find one, one day if I was financially right, but grew up on these boats. I have many Cris Craft owners though do not like Century Resoters though, I do not know why but they in the 70's and 80's where the Harley Davidson of the water.

My dads great friend and his best friend had Century Resorters. One was a 67, and the other was a 68. Harold Box, that had a 67 Resorter, had the 390 Ford in his with the ski throttle in his, and his friends Ed "Skipper" had the ol fashion foot pedal. I can rememeber like it was yesterday as a kid in the 80's seeing those 2 beautiful inboards floating at the dock. He used to call me "SkiCat", so thats where I got the name. I just added 2001 because I own one. Ed that had the 68 Resorter had less hrs on his but would run. He worked for General Electric then, and Harold owned his own wrecker service. Anyways, they used to sand them down in the winter, that magonhoney needed special treatment. Century Resoters are a special breed like Correct Crafts and feel those are the best boats built. Moomba, Master Craft, Tige, Supra can kiss my rump if you know what I mean...
Harold use to pull 10-12 skiers with it, was amazing to watch. I use to love and watch when it was put into drive and watch them fingers pull the ski throttle out and watch that ol smoke pour out the side of the engine hatch and off we went in a hurry. What a sound!!
Rest in peace my 2 great friends.. I hope to ride in those boats again in another world... Next time I will pull you..

Here is a great Resorter Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gV5m3pcuuoo
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2010 at 9:22am
Originally posted by davidg davidg wrote:

I saw a '76 Century Resorter for sale today at Bell Marine on Hwy 13 in North Webster, IN. I pulled in to take a look at it.

Dave,
It sure seems that when you're out "working", you spend more time looking at boats!! The only person I know that exceeded your finds was a fellow ASCB member. He was a Milwaukee county sheriff and that uniform got him inside all the old barns!!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic