Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hard starting when warm

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
wakemeup View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakemeup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hard starting when warm
    Posted: September-06-2009 at 2:38am
I've got a 99 Air Nautique with a Pro Boss 351, 310 HP motor. The boat starts fine when cold but when it is warm I have to hold the key in the start position for about 5 seconds or so before it starts. It doesn't always do this, there is no pattern. It has always started but having to "turn it over" so much before it starts is annoying. Any insight from anyone as to whats happening is appreciated.
Thanks
Wakemeup

1988 Ski Nautique

1999 Air Nautique
jerry@vail.net View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerry@vail.net Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2009 at 4:36pm
Check out this thread:
http://correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=14377&PID=176239#176239
Is this similar to your symptoms?
Jerry
wakemeup View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakemeup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2009 at 6:10pm
Mine has never stalled or ran rough after starting. The only problem is you have to hold the key in the start position way to long before it starts. Anyway let us know what the PCM guy says.
Thanks
Wakemeup

1988 Ski Nautique

1999 Air Nautique
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2009 at 6:59pm
I think that is pretty normal on the 310 hp engines......

wakemeup View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakemeup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2009 at 2:09am
Originally posted by behindpropeller behindpropeller wrote:

I think that is pretty normal on the 310 hp engines......

Thats unfortunate! Everytime someone else drives the boat so I can board I have to tell them to hold the key in the start position until it fires. My friends Sanger with a Chevy Mercruser lights within 1/2 a second to holding the key in start every time. Oh well thats what I get with owning a Ford. That Chevy 350 is the best engine ever built for any application, its bullet proof.
Wakemeup

1988 Ski Nautique

1999 Air Nautique
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2009 at 9:58am
My 351 starts with that 1/2 second period. If your timing is set too advanced, that will make it start hard when hot. I backed mine off 1 degree (to 9) & that helped it start easier.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
wakemeup View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakemeup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2009 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

My 351 starts with that 1/2 second period. If your timing is set too advanced, that will make it start hard when hot. I backed mine off 1 degree (to 9) & that helped it start easier.

I'll give that a shot. Thanks for your input.
Wakemeup

1988 Ski Nautique

1999 Air Nautique
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2009 at 4:01pm
Has nothing to do with being a Ford. My GT-40 starts on the first crank every time hot or cold. Start looking deeper than the name.
beck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2009 at 9:04pm
it could be vapor locking, my 94 sport nautique does that, we just leave the engine cover open after we use it and it starts up fine later
1994 Sport Nautique 21ft 5.8L EFI Pro Tec Injection 310HP
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2009 at 9:31pm
Brandon,
I'd wager to say it's not vapor locking (real hard to do on a boat) but rather your Pro Tech suffering from heat soak.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
beck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2009 at 9:40pm
well we do that and it works everytime lol, if we dont keep it open after using it then it doesnt start 15 minutes later
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2009 at 10:22pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Brandon,
I'd wager to say it's not vapor locking (real hard to do on a boat) but rather your Pro Tech suffering from heat soak.

Did we have protech in 99? I thought that went away in about 94. I to agree that vapor lock is probably not the cause.
I take it this is a HO carb motor? And not a GT-40.
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2009 at 10:24pm
Originally posted by Fl Inboards Fl Inboards wrote:

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Brandon,

Did we have protech in 99? I thought that went away in about 94. I to agree that vapor lock is probably not the cause.
I take it this is a HO carb motor? And not a GT-40.

Originally posted by beck beck wrote:

it could be vapor locking, my 94 sport nautique does that, we just leave the engine cover open after we use it and it starts up fine later
wakemeup View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakemeup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2009 at 10:37pm

well we do that and it works everytime lol, if we dont keep it open after using it then it doesnt start 15 minutes later

I take it you just idle the boat when you are switching skiers/boarders in the open water. I am fairly new to boating but was taught to turn the motor off anytime someone was going in or out of the boat, especially around the swim step. I'm constantly turning the boat on and off.
Wakemeup

1988 Ski Nautique

1999 Air Nautique
beck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2009 at 10:46pm
ya we just leave it run, and then you know if your out there for the weekend and you take it out, open up the engine cover and just leave it open until you use it next, let me know how that works for you
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2009 at 10:52pm
Originally posted by wakemeup wakemeup wrote:

I take it you just idle the boat when you are switching skiers/boarders in the open water. I am fairly new to boating but was taught to turn the motor off anytime someone was going in or out of the boat, especially around the swim step. I'm constantly turning the boat on and off.

We still need to know if it is a GT-40 or a carb motor????
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic